• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Proposed Disc Golf Course Gains Criticism

NIMBYs and their cousins, the Personal Owners of Public Parks, will use any ammunition they can get their hands on, no matter how big a stretch.

I don't know this particular park, but I doubt it's anything like the one where the lady was blinded.

On the other hand, soil damage is real---it's soil compaction, leading to loss of vegetation and erosion. As it stomping down the underbrush. If this park is actually a natural area, disc golf will impact that. Now, the Parks Dept. seemed to think is was a reasonable trade-off, so perhaps the opposition has inflated the issues. Wouldn't be the first time.

But, not knowing the park, it's also possible that disc golf is a poor fit for it. As much as we love disc golf, it doesn't belong everywhere.

it's also possible that disc golf is a poor fit for it. As much as we love disc golf, it doesn't belong everywhere.

Exactly.

It sounds to me that they raised some very valid concerns. The case from Cali is a good one to illustrate the danger of mixing disc golf with other activities. It shows that we're throwing dangerous projectiles rather than the catch and throw discs that most people may be accustomed to.

Those raising concerns are already using the park for other activities and are likely going to be forced out due to the installation of the course. Much like disc golfers are fighting to bring their activity to the park, others are going to fight for their activity of choice. It's up to the parks dept to determine the best use of that space.

We also fight to keep new activities from coming in and encroaching on our disc golf courses.

Sometimes, a losing battle.

Exactly.

It sounds to me that they raised some very valid concerns. The case from Cali is a good one to illustrate the danger of mixing disc golf with other activities. It shows that we're throwing dangerous projectiles rather than the catch and throw discs that most people may be accustomed to.

Those raising concerns are already using the park for other activities and are likely going to be forced out due to the installation of the course. Much like disc golfers are fighting to bring their activity to the park, others are going to fight for their activity of choice. It's up to the parks dept to determine the best use of that space.

You are right. Of course, as a largely opinionated person when it comes to disc golf, I got somewhat upset. The problem for me lies in the fact that the disc golf course seems to supposed to be out of the way of park goers. And I have also seen some very great courses executed in a park setting with trails throughout, as well as open fields that people enjoy.

You are right. Of course, as a largely opinionated person when it comes to disc golf, I got somewhat upset. The problem for me lies in the fact that the disc golf course seems to supposed to be out of the way of park goers. And I have also seen some very great courses executed in a park setting with trails throughout, as well as open fields that people enjoy.

There's nothing here to get upset about. There are people raising some very legitimate concerns about what effect disc golf will have on the park. Just like you have strong opinions in favor of disc golf, they have strong opinions against it because disc golf does nothing for them aside from detracting from their current use of the park. This is not a bad thing, it's two sides of the same coin.

The disc golf advocates will have their opportunity to address the concerns being raised. Hopefully the result is a constructive dialog that results in a solution that is tolerable for both sides.

As more and more courses go into the ground, expect more resistance, especially in places where park space is precious.

Just the same, we have so many courses going in anymore, I'm not all that discouraged when we lose an occasional battle. If anything, we'd be better off if some existing courses that did go in were pulled or redesigned.

The park is 225 acres... and the course will take 14-18 acres. The course is not laid out to go near any walking trails. The people fighting the course install have very weak arguments against it. It seems the worst that would come from the course install would be some litter in the park (which I hate, but seems to happen at most courses).

They are afraid of a lawsuit because someone gets hit with a disc? Laughable. There are already hundreds of things that could happen in that park (or any park) for a lawsuit.

Yeah im not aware of 200+ acre parks with design issues that impact other users. Smaller ones packed full of stuff already with no bird watching? Sure.

People are not good at sharing. I mean less than 10% of total park space? Dohkay!

Yeah im not aware of 200+ acre parks with design issues that impact other users. Smaller ones packed full of stuff already with no bird watching? Sure.

People are not good at sharing. I mean less than 10% of total park space? Dohkay!

My home course is 18 holes, well regarded (Knob Hill, Pittsburgh) and is only 150 some acres. Add 75 acres, enough for a full 18 hole course, usually, and you have this park...

Maybe another approach to these asinine NIMBY's is to ask them publically, "Can you share this park with us?" and "Where do YOU think would be an acceptable spot in the park for a DG course?" and then when they say "No" and "nowhere" look to the park commission and say, "well, at least we're willing to compromise and work with them for a solution." It may not get a course installed but it will at least shine a harsh light on their truly selfish nature.

But maybe they're right.

Not about the danger---that's likely a trumped-up tactic---but the appropriateness. I have no idea, not knowing the particular park.

There's a lightly-used 276-acre park about 10 miles from me, with such terrain that you could build a course that would get a 4-rating without baskets. But I know better than to ask; its best use is as a natural area, all of it.

A Championship gold level course usually needs less than 30 acres depending on how wooded the property may be. A blue level city type course might need around 20 acres.

But maybe they're right.

Not about the danger---that's likely a trumped-up tactic---but the appropriateness. I have no idea, not knowing the particular park.

There's a lightly-used 276-acre park about 10 miles from me, with such terrain that you could build a course that would get a 4-rating without baskets. But I know better than to ask; its best use is as a natural area, all of it.

Unless there are tons of protected species a DG course doesnt seem to impact wildlife much if at all. We actually are providing easy trails to navigate for the majority of them and often also clean up invasive plants etc upon installing a course. Also if done right should pay/give back etc to other parts of the park to improve the overall experience for all users.

I have seen so much wildlife out playing DG it is pretty crazy. Not to mention the natural growing veggies, fruit, flowers and fungus.

There are regularly turkey deer tons of flying whatever from squirrels eagles owls to woodpeckers and bats. The bunnies ducks and geese are planning a full force takeover of DG courses. :p

Seeing the wildlife that adapts to high levels of human activity isn't the same as a relatively intact forest---biologically or aesthetically.

Don't get me wrong---one of the things I love about disc golf if the interaction with nature. There should be parks with heavy human use, and parks with light human use. Some parks are better for one or the other; some suitable for both.

David FWIW this park already features:
Features

Amphitheater
Hiking Trails
Nature Center & Astronomical Observatory
Organized Group Camping Area
Picnic Areas
Scenic Overlook
Details

Things To Do at Rifle Camp Park
Rifle Camp Park, located adjacent to Garret Mountain Reservation, is a major recreational component of the Passaic County park system. Here, residents can picnic and commune with nature, and utilize fields for a wide variety of athletic activities. The park also features an amphitheater. Rifle Camp Park contains the John Crowley Nature Center and Astronomical Observatory. The nature center is staffed by a full-time naturalist and the observatory is open for public viewing on selected dates during the year.

The opportunity to commune with nature at Rifle Camp Park extends to the nature trails and for area scouts, the overnight camping facility with campfire ring and lean-to's. The Park also includes a senior accessible picnic area.

Thanks, AIM. I hadn't looked into it---so admittedly had no idea. Certainly sounds like a place where 20 or 30 acres of disc golf, not conflicting with other park patrons, would be an appropriate fit.

'Land Use' decisions ultimately boil down to ethics.

While many of the replies here are quite predictable (duh, disc golf site), I find the others' underlying rationales and their frameworks used to build arguments in these matters very telling.

In my personal experience, I've seen a few courses yanked for smaller conflicts than this one and as it turns out, everyone was better for it in the long run. As we can see in this country's current political climate, consensus building is no small task...

Latest posts