• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro's using different brands of discs

He was team gateway before he signed with Lat. He has been playing for decades.

Ahh, thx.

Thought folks were talking about current teams. Otherwise, Discraft could claim Paige Pierce, Shusterick, etc.

I think the most awkward situation would be a disc company telling you to only use their discs and you are not playing well because you may like to use other companies discs as well. If using only one company would affect your performance, I would imagine a company would rather you win than not winning with using only one brand.

This is an interesting balancing act. You want your players to be successful, but if they need other disc brands to accomplish that, what does it say about your lineup??

Ultimately I think that a slightly mixed bag is not a deal breaker. As long as your player is still throwing mostly your brand, and wearing a shirt and hat and bag that all feature your brand, and standing on the podium saying, "Thanks, [Your Brand], for making the best discs in the world!" The only awkward moments would come if a commentator is really familiar with the player's discs, and calling out another company's molds. Or, just imagine, your player gets an ace on film with another company's disc.

Also, I think that it's a more common practice than many realize to "fake it" with other companies' discs. Especially when the sponsoring company is just starting out, and doesn't have a full lineup yet. Others have mentioned sneaky re-branding already in this thread. I'd imagine this sort of thing flies under the radar quite frequently, because manufacturers sure don't want attention on that business practice.

Interesting story to add to that theme: last summer a local Legacy pro brought a DGA Breaker to leagues one night. This thing was old and beat to heck. Anyway, the original stamp had been wiped and replaced with a Prodigy team stamp...and THAT had been wiped and replaced with a Legacy team stamp! Never got the full back story, but our local pro found it pretty entertaining.

Interesting story to add to that theme: last summer a local Legacy pro brought a DGA Breaker to leagues one night. This thing was old and beat to heck. Anyway, the original stamp had been wiped and replaced with a Prodigy team stamp...and THAT had been wiped and replaced with a Legacy team stamp! Never got the full back story, but our local pro found it pretty entertaining.

It was a pretty open secret that most of the original Prodigy team members in 2013 were wiping their old discs and stamping Prodigy logos on them in the first year of the company. Of course, that year, they were all allowed to use mixed bags since the first discs they made didn't even come out until just before the Memorial that year (and even then, it was only the D1 and D4 IIRC). It wasn't until year two of the company that they started requiring their players to throw exclusively Prodigy, but even then, there were still stories about Prodigy players throwing other brands with Prodigy stamps.

I believe it was a Truth. I don't think he was sponsored by Discmania tho, he was just the team manager

Don't forget about Millenium/HyzerBomb - Innova/DiscMania/Millennium?HyzerBomb.

I think that Eagle's Gator will go bye bye when the MD5 is released. Just a hunch.

Everyone loves the P2, I mean, they are so good. And Big Jerm has the Millennium Mortars

I believe it was a Truth. I don't think he was sponsored by Discmania tho, he was just the team manager

I feel comfortable enough to set the record straight publicly now.

He was sponsored by Discmania before he was ever "hired", and he was never the team manager officially. He did duties at HQ that included interfacing with the team, but he was a tour manager. The lineage is Avery -> me -> Eric -> Colten. Discmania has never really had a true "Team Manager" until Avery this year.

It was a sore point for awhile the way that all went down, especially because I personally recommended him to replace me as the tour manager and driver of the "Maniac" (aka the Discmania RV).

We talked it out at LVC this year, and it's all good now. Eric is a good dude at heart, but he severely botched the handling of his transition from Discmania to DD. He did affect change though, as it made Discmania adjust how the RV tour and tour managing in general fit into its greater business plan. They came out the other side with a better system which allows them to use their touring players more effectively - so they can grow their own careers by going on tour while trading that opportunity for work on the road. Before that it was business/promoting as the first priority and then play once in a while in your spare time.

Last edited:
On the Facebook fan page a couple of them came out and said they aren't allowed to bag Streamline. No gyro, no throw.

A buddy of mine who lives in MVP country (the thumb of Michigan) throws in leagues/tourneys with MVP owners/employees. An MVP employee, who I can't name because I don't know him, told my buddy that they (MVP sponsored players) may not throw Streamline & it was a bummer for him because he liked the Trace.

I recall (from CCDG vids) that Shasta Criss, sponsored by DGA, was "allowed" to bag a Nuke (Discraft). I've never heard of Discraft pros bagging DGA, though I bet it happens.

With companies like Gateway or even Legacy, it seems logical to me that they'd allow other discs for their pros. Gateway simply doesn't have the driver selection, and doesn't seem to be aiming for it. Legacy seems to have a full selection of discs these days, but probably still not quite enough to accommodate every pro's taste.

Legacy still has some holes. Sarah throws a Firebird and Jokeri. Steve Rico himself throws some non-Legacy.

A buddy of mine who lives in MVP country (the thumb of Michigan) throws in leagues/tourneys with MVP owners/employees. An MVP employee, who I can't name because I don't know him, told my buddy that they (MVP sponsored players) may not throw Streamline & it was a bummer for him because he liked the Trace.

That being said, MVP employees can throw non MVP. Steve even throws traces IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recall (from CCDG vids) that Shasta Criss, sponsored by DGA, was "allowed" to bag a Nuke (Discraft). I've never heard of Discraft pros bagging DGA, though I bet it happens.

With companies like Gateway or even Legacy, it seems logical to me that they'd allow other discs for their pros. Gateway simply doesn't have the driver selection, and doesn't seem to be aiming for it. Legacy seems to have a full selection of discs these days, but probably still not quite enough to accommodate every pro's taste.

Discraft Player Bagging DGA? Yes I thought One did and with Research Tim Barham does, DGA Undertow.

Not a disc but bags. One of the more ridiculous things I think is that DD doesn't let pros use other bags. When Dustin Keegan got sponsored this year they forced him to drop his pound sponsorship.

Not a disc but bags. One of the more ridiculous things I think is that DD doesn't let pros use other bags. When Dustin Keegan got sponsored this year they forced him to drop his pound sponsorship.

That is odd and I wonder if Dynamic Disc Players are allowed to use the Latitude 64 bags even? That would suck even more, as it could be the Latitude 64 bags are what that player is looking for.

That would be odd for Nate Sexton if he went back to Dynamic Discs.