• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Puckin futters

Grippenripp

* Ace Member *
Looking to switch putters. I started playing a year ago and I started putting with the banger gt, learned that wasn't a great idea for me.switched to challengers, liked em for a while now I'm looking for something that fills my hand out, been researching and think I'm landed on the Dagger. I also like the wizard but hear the plastic from gateway is not very consistent so it kinda got knocked out of the running although I really like the feel of the wizard. So I'm asking for suggestions about deep dish putters looking to inform myself through your experience. The Challenger is a deep dish and I know this just looking for something maybe with a little more shoulder . Thanks

I wouldn't rule out the Wizard, the plastic is inconsistent but it's also plentiful so if you have a range you like, you can probably find one that you can throw.

Based on what you have previously used,In guessing you like beaded putters so that includes the Wizard, Big Bead Aviar, or Omega. All great options and come in many plastics. All of them come in at least premium plastic for driving too.

For plastic types:

Wizard
Soft (S) = Hard
Super Soft (SS) = Medium
Super Stupid Soft (SSS) = Soft
Really Freaking Flexible (4S or RFF) = Megasoft

Big Bead Aviar
KC = Hard
Yeti = Medium (has a puddle top)
JK = Soft

Omega
Delta-T = Hard
AP = Medium
ET = Medium
Super Soft= Soft

I switched from challengers to wizards. I like firm, so go with fossil or pwp. There's so many plastics, but a lot of knowledgeable people that can get you exactly what your after.

People make way too big a deal about Wizard plastics IMO. The basic plastics like S/SS/SSS all seem to fly like Wizards, and they feel pretty similar. If you want ultra stiff or ultra soft then maybe it's more challenging to get duplicates? To me where anything in the middle is fine, they are all pretty similar. I wouldn't let that deter you from the Wizard unless you're the type of person who HAS to get the exact same feeling discs for backup and putting practice. They feel close enough to me.

Gateway base plastics are pretty inconsistent Dave loves to tinker for sure. But you can find one you like and send it to gateway and they will help you find the best replacements. Not to mention when you buy a stack you can get awesome deals on gateway putters straight from the source.

Gateway plastic is a blessing and a curse. If you find a flavor of Wizard you like, stack up on that run and you'll be in heaven for awhile.

Shield from Westside feels/flies most like a Wizard to me, except better :) i bag a medium and a VIP version

The Voodoo fills the hand pretty well due to its rounded profile. The Dagger should be a solid choice though.

I would highly recommend the Discmania P2. I use it precisely because it fills out my hand really well. The nose is broader and taller than the nose on the Aviar and it really makes a huge difference when it comes to the hand feel. It just fits like a glove honestly. As for flight, inside the circle it flies with slightly less glide than the Aviar and it starts hyzering out slightly earlier than the Aviar as well. Its great if you like to run long putts because with the lower glide and the stable finish its unlikely to float away giving you 30 ft comebackers.

Whenever I think deep dish putter, I think Dagger. My playing putter is the KC-Pro Aviar, but during practice I like to use other molds too so that I don't get bored. My alternates are the Wizard, Voo-doo, and Dagger. I can alternate between those without much effort except for the Dagger, it requires a little focus. Haven't tried a P2 yet, will have to check it out.

Drive to the local disc seller and hold all the putters they have. Then buy the one you like the feel of the most. Go to the course and play. If after 10 rounds you don't like it repeat the process.

This is the best advice you are going to get. Fi ding the right putter is very personal. The release from the hand is more important here than anywhere else.
It may take a while to find the correct disc, but do not give up. Find the disc that fits you, don't try to fit yourself to the disc.

sounds like you did your research. I putt Daggers right now and I'm liking them. Mainly the flight is really nice. The one thing to remember, there is NO magic putter. So its on you, ;) but the Dagger putts well and I like it. I say give it a shot. Putters in baseline are usually 10-12$ so you can always try a few out to get a feel for them - If you have a nice store nearby go there and just check putters out. Trial and error.
Dagger feels full, rounded, bead, deep, floats well, goes straight, small fade. Once I dialed the dagger in it was awesome - right now its so cold out and the softer plastic actually is straighter so im missing putts right a lot, but that's mainly me being ****ttty

I've never held a Wizard I didn't like the feel of. They were all rigid and tacky. Different S's and an Organic or two... minimal enough variation, like that of DX or D.

I've never held a Wizard I didn't like the feel of. They were all rigid and tacky. Different S's and an Organic or two... minimal enough variation, like that of DX or D.

I've been beginning to think that this is the case, I really like the feel of the wizard, my girlfriend has a wizard and it's a triple s, it's still pretty rigid, I'm thinking an SS would be my ideal feel so I'm thinking head to my pro shop and grab a wizard and a dagger and throw them around, whichever I don't like I give away and stock up on the other mold. Thanks all for your help truly appreciate it.

Latest posts