• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Purest midrange

trumbulldore

Birdie Member
So now that the temperatures look to be dropping in my area, I'm looking to do more recreational play and form refinement til the weather no longer permits. My question is as follows. I want a disc that if I crank it on a flat line, it holds the line. If I throw it on a hyzer line, it holds that, anny it holds the anny. I have a z line buzz, but when I crank it flat, it tracks slightly to the right. Anyone have experience with the mako3? I'd not like to purchase a disc but if I have to, eh I will. Go.

I've only thrown a Mako3 a couple times (my friend's disc), but at ~300' it tracked right about 10' and then came back the 10' or so to end up about straight. I don't think it'll be any better than a Buzzz in that regard. It was a nice flight but not any reason to add it to your Z Buzzz IMO.

I find putters straighter than mids for zero turn and essentially no fade, and I only lose 20-30'. But you asked for a mid.

Last edited:
I have a first run champion Mako3 and its a pretty sweet disc. I think it would work for what your looking for.
I myself use an Axis for that role

i keep 3 midrange in my bag. a roc3, Z-Buzz, and an DX cobra. i think the3 cobra maybe what you are looking for. if give enough spin and a slight angle of the wing portion dead ahead of you up.. it will float forward and land forward almost every time for me. i dont use it much because most days i just use the roc3, but i always go to it on those difficult, "i need a stable disc", kind of holes.

Thanks guys, I was thinking Mako3 cause I've always liked the feel of them, but I wasn't sure. I'll have to possibly make a stop at the local brick/mortar and see I know they carry tons of em

Get a QMS. Has just enough hss to handle some flat power but not too much so it won't ride an anny. Very underrated disc.

I'm not sure about the mako 3, but the buzz is basically a shark in premium plastic, whereas the roc is more like a wasp in base plastic. I'd look at the wasp or roc for a little less turn, which is what it sounds like you want. Of course, degree of beatness will play in. Everything seems overstable at first. Have you tested a new buzz? Maybe your buzz has just gotten a little more beaten in than you like?

^I agree with maybe a new Buzzz if this one is old, but the whole Shark : Buzzz thing is crazy to me. I've seen it on here before. To me a Shark is a Roc without a bead and they fly almost the same. A Buzzz style disc glides so much differently. A Buzzz, Core, and even Mako3 I'd compare way more similarly than a Shark (I haven't thrown an Axis).

If you really like how a Mako3 fits your hand go for it, the couple throws I had with it felt nice. I don't have enough experience with it to know exactly how much it will differ from a Buzzz. But it definitely did drift a little right during a ~300 rip, then drift back.

I do also agree that a Roc type mid will have less turn. However they fly/feel a lot different, it's a different style of mid to me. Which is where that above grouping kind of came from.

The Mako3 would work, but for me, nothing has been straighter than a Star Mako. Out of the box it just goes straight, (or goes on what ever line you put it on)

If you want to work a disk in a little, a DX Roc, Shark or D Buzzz would work too. I've used all of these but the base plastic Buzzz held it's sweet spot the shortest, ended up just hucking it into the woods one day so someone would feel happy about finding a disc.

Last edited:
Axis is almost identical to a Buzzz in flight, just deeper rim and a little faster. Alias is straighter than a Buzzz and sounds better for you, but it's a little slower.

If you are open to suggestions other than mids, you could try an opto pure. It may be a putter, but it crushes like a mid. One of those tweener status discs. Flat and and comfortable in the hand, no crazy rounded shoulder like the anode.

I don't really know any mid that would easily handle all that except maybe a tangent or a heavy comet, but if you crank them they will likely not be straight. The opto pure will be.

For what you want to do in the off season, I would just consider sticking with your putter. Should allow you to crank on it and exploit any areas of concern. Otherwise, I prefer the Buzzz line up for mids. I use the regular Buzzz, SS and OS in Z plastic. I also love the Tarsus for understable mid range shots, glides forever.

If you are open to suggestions other than mids, you could try an opto pure. It may be a putter, but it crushes like a mid. One of those tweener status discs. Flat and and comfortable in the hand, no crazy rounded shoulder like the anode.

I don't really know any mid that would easily handle all that except maybe a tangent or a heavy comet, but if you crank them they will likely not be straight. The opto pure will be.

This is what first came to mind.

I would also throw in for the Pure. Great disc at really any power throw. Also, makes for good single disc rounds because of its range.

In so confused... Maybe I'm reading the OPs post wrong. He wants something more stable than a Z Buzzz... So everyone is recommending Mako3s and comets?? I would understand if he said he was just working on form, but he also said he doesn't want something that tracks right like his buzzz...

Latest posts