• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter advice

RYFLE

I'm thinking about getting a new putter/approach disc. Lately I've been throwing mostly my 169g birdie and its such a great disc but I'm tearing up the DX plastic. I also have a Gateway S Series Evolution Wizard but it has a little too much glide for my liking. I've heard good things about the Omega putters but really have no idea what I want. Any suggestions.

Last edited:
The challenger by discraft is my choice, I have it is soft X and CryZtal Z plastics. Z for approches and Soft X for regular putts. These have good glide and a little over stable, the soft X will wear some but not like DX. The challenger also comes in Flx that is a great plastic flexable but durable. Omega super soft would be my second choice.

Soft Magnet, or a good ol JK-X Aviar. If you dont like softer plastic then try a KC Pro Aviar or a Banger GT.

Meant to mention that I personally use a Sure grip Wizard, but didnt reccommend it since you stated you already have tried one.

I have heard good things about the Omega mentioned above aswell.

Hey if you like the Birdie, buy 3 more Birdies. Places like Marshall Street even give a discount when you buy multiples. When you practice, throw all of them so they get broken in a bit, and when one wears out, you'll have a fresh one waiting.

I currently use a good ole Aviar P&A in Champion plastic and it is great. It has some softness too it but still plays like a hard putter. I have bounced a number of putt off the rim and then in.

At the same time I have thought about switching to the Discraft Banger GT and going with a soft one and then also getting one in ESP.

Though there is a rumor out there that Innova is coming out with a new R-Pro plastic where the R stands for rubber blend. They are going to release it in a new putter called the Dart according to the rumor as well as in the Aviar P&A. This rumor has put my putting purchases on hold for the time being.

Meant to mention that I personally use a Sure grip Wizard, but didnt reccommend it since you stated you already have tried one.

I have heard good things about the Omega mentioned above aswell.

I like the wizard I have I just don't use it enough because I'm in love with my birdie. I've dropped quite a few 50-60 footers with it so its kinda tough to stray away from using it lol.

We need a whole DGCR subforum dedicated to putters....

Hey if you like the Birdie, buy 3 more Birdies. Places like Marshall Street even give a discount when you buy multiples. When you practice, throw all of them so they get broken in a bit, and when one wears out, you'll have a fresh one waiting.

marshall street offers a 10% discount. this is what i did with my innova sonic.

I've been using a Discraft Banger GT but I'm thinking of just using my Star Kite so I can carry one less disc. I really like the groove on the Banger tho, I'll miss it.

you can get everyone's opinion on what the best putter is, but you have to find what works for YOU, not what works for the guy beating your butt everyday!!

Agree with 80played. Its 95 % between the ears to get it in the chains 99% of the time. For me thats a ProD Challenger or a Voodoo Soft.

So, for 5% of my mind I only have a 1% chance of missing my putt?

I work better with smaller numbers.

Try a Discraft Banger GT. Of course, putting is insane and completely dependent on the day so what do I know?

I currently use a good ole Aviar P&A in Champion plastic and it is great. It has some softness too it but still plays like a hard putter. I have bounced a number of putt off the rim and then in.

At the same time I have thought about switching to the Discraft Banger GT and going with a soft one and then also getting one in ESP.

Though there is a rumor out there that Innova is coming out with a new R-Pro plastic where the R stands for rubber blend. They are going to release it in a new putter called the Dart according to the rumor as well as in the Aviar P&A. This rumor has put my putting purchases on hold for the time being.

I haven't heard about this. I wonder how the R-Pro Plastic will compare to the KC plastic? Will this plastic be hard or soft? Sounds interesting though and will be another must by since I throw Aviar P&A's.

I haven't heard about this. I wonder how the R-Pro Plastic will compare to the KC plastic? Will this plastic be hard or soft? Sounds interesting though and will be another must by since I throw Aviar P&A's.
Check the thread on the PDGA forum:
http://discussion.pdga.com/msgboard...er=907372&Searchpage=0&Main=862850#Post907372

Dave D said:
We had been having difficulties molding the soft pro, soft. The softer it was, the more rejects we had. Recently, we developed a new R-Pro plastic that has solved this problem. We are going to be using it in JKs, Pro Rhynos, Pigs, Omega SS, and any other R-Pro type discs we make. This basically means these discs will be consistently softer. We are currently making two new additions with this plastic. Our newest disc, the Dart P&A and the R-Pro Aviar P&A are being made with this new plastic.

[...]

It's not like the gumbputts we used to make for DGA. But, it is a thermoplastic rubber.

The challenger by discraft is my choice, I have it is soft X and CryZtal Z plastics. Z for approches and Soft X for regular putts. These have good glide and a little over stable, the soft X will wear some but not like DX. The challenger also comes in Flx that is a great plastic flexable but durable. Omega super soft would be my second choice.

great putters