• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter Comparison Questions

MN_DiscGolfer

Par Member
Hey all I am currently using a champ rhyno and r-pro hydra for shorter up shots and I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on discs that are comparable to these as i'm looking to try something new for these shots since they're becoming a bit unpredictable, not just from breaking in but also the feel in my hand was never quite there for me.

I'll go into a little more detail on the shots i'm talking about:
I use the champ rhyno for 50'-100' standstill approaches and the hydra is used for 100'-200' standstill approaches and sometimes shorter drives, although lately its been flipping up and not fading back which then causes it to be waaay too deep/off track for these.

I guess my main question is, what other brands' putter molds are similar to these two discs? Just looking for some others to try out to see how they feel for me. Been looking at possibly some lat 64/westside stuff since I love how all their drivers and mids feel. Any help is always appreciated, thanks!

The Hydra and Rhyno are atypically shaped discs and they're also fairly overstable for a putter, so it's hard to give similar recommendations. First question I have to ask is, have you tried a standard beaded putter like a Wizard? They're pretty overstable and definitely wont' flip on you <200' even in stiff winds unless you're torquing it super funny.

I know people that throw a FLX Challenger and the Vibram VP and seem to love them. I've never thrown either but I've heard they're similar in stability wise to a Rhyno.

unless they are really beat, they shouldn't be flipping on you (especially the champ rhino). I used to flip my Z Buzzz until I realized that pros are throwing them 400' straight. It was more of a form issue and not because it was too much power. If they are extremely old, and beat, it just may be time for a replacement putter.

As far a discs go. If you want something more stable check out the Discraft Zone. I keep one in my bag at all times, and a backup ready to go. It is fantastic. The Discraft Challenger, or Gatway Wizard are pretty similar in flight to the Rhyno, but no way near similar in feel. The VIbram VP is a bit more stable than the Rhyno, and will be able to take a beating while still holding its stability.

Up until recently I was using a DX Rhyno for putting and a Champ for driving and upshots. I switched to an Ion for putting and another for driving and upshots, which I can't be happier to have done. I also just got an Anode and I think I might have good success with that guy. In my opinion the Ion flies incredibly predictable in comparison to the Rhynos and they feel great in the hand. The Ion/Anode is a fairly common set-up as well. Plus MVP discs are practically indestructible with their rim and they just LOOK pretty! :D

My two cents!

I don't suppose these discs resemble the Rhino or Hydra, but the cover me pretty well on the same type shots.

Discraft Esp Zone. As previously mentioned.....A great disc for long straight, then hyzer type approaches up to about 150'. Always works great for spike hyzers of the same distances. Pretty good as a headwind putter.

Discraft Magnet. Good for 125' or so approaches. Works very well as a straight line approach, anny approach, or hyzer line approach. It will do anything you tell it too. It's also my main putter.

Innova Sonic. This is my touch n finesse putter. Works awesomely as a straight or anny line. Not so good for most hyzer lines. A nice flat snap will send this thing on a straight, slow glide to where you aimed it. It's best from 75' in as it can get squirrelly with a lot of power.

Agree with Shawn. Something is amiss if your champ rhyno is flipping and not fading back.

Zone is a great disc, but profil/feel is pretty different compared to ryhnos/hydras. Dinner plate flat top, non beaded beveled bottom.

imo, something beefy, with glide, beaded bottom....try a voodoo. This kinda reminds me of a hydra with beaded bottom. Something slim, beaded bottom.....maybe try a ringer which has a slight thumbtrac. Firm Ions should also be considered. All are somewhat overstable, less than a rhyno imo.

All of the lat 64 putters seem to have a pretty sharp bottom rim edge. Me, I prefer something either beaded or gradually slanted (eg magics, pigs) to avoid catching hand skin.

Check out www.altitudediscgolf.com One (maybe only?) site that shows you what the bottom rims of discs look like. Good luck!!

thanks for all the input guys! i mustve worded my OP badly, the rhyno doesn't flip, its the hydra thats been doing it, the rhyno just gives me unpredictable releases, I used to use it for putting and then switched back to my opaque med ions for that(I also dislike these for any type of driving, not sure why but ive tried them). I started using the rhyno on some upshots because it can handle more torque and was perfect for quite awhile, but as of late(last month or two, playing about 5-10 rounds per week) its just been really inconsistant on my releases, sometimes its right into the ground from falling out of my hand and others its too high and thus goes too dang far for a 50'-100' upshot.

Both the rhyno and hydra are decently beat in, i've stuck the rhyno in the sides of a few baskets now and the hydra is decently cut up, sadly the r-pro plastic doesnt seem able to take much abuse. From the sounds of it i'm gonna have to just try some stuff out, maybe pick up a few diff putters and go out just playing around with them and see how different ones hold the different lines I want, who knows throwing some other putters could bring back some faith in my current molds too. Thanks again!

I usually carry a SS Wizard for driving and upshot duties, and a medium Anode for inside the circle. I carried a 3rd gen medium Ion last night for giggles, and now I'm trying to figure out how to fit it in the bag after sinking a 60' putt from a standstill.
The wizard is very dependable, and feels good in a fan grip for drives under 150'. The Anode is just nuts straight, and handles a little anyhzer on a putt very well. I think the Ion will be just for putts that have to dive left. Truth be told, it flies almost identically to the Wizard, but for drives I just love the grip on the Wizard more. Now to try a Neutron Ion...

Not trying to be insulting or anything, but if you're getting that much variance in the direction of your release, it's probably just technique/form. I doubt trying different putters is going to be a magical fix. Try analyzing your run up/step up and grip. I've found my run up can have a big effect on my disc going too high or too low. And my grip can have a big effect on my disc going too far left or too far right. Hopefully you'll get it figured out soon.

Agree with Shawn. Something is amiss if your champ rhyno is flipping and not fading back.

Zone is a great disc, but profil/feel is pretty different compared to ryhnos/hydras. Dinner plate flat top, non beaded beveled bottom.

imo, something beefy, with glide, beaded bottom....try a voodoo. This kinda reminds me of a hydra with beaded bottom. Something slim, beaded bottom.....maybe try a ringer which has a slight thumbtrac. Firm Ions should also be considered. All are somewhat overstable, less than a rhyno imo.

All of the lat 64 putters seem to have a pretty sharp bottom rim edge. Me, I prefer something either beaded or gradually slanted (eg magics, pigs) to avoid catching hand skin.

Check out www.altitudediscgolf.com One (maybe only?) site that shows you what the bottom rims of discs look like. Good luck!!

I think he means the Hydra is getting flippy.

I'm a champ rhyno guy, but I don't use it for 50 to 150 standard shots, unless the wind is howling.

I like a r-pro Aviar for most of those shots, predictable, stable, hit-and-stick.

My two cents for this type of shot is a one of the stable putters (magnet, aviar,etc) in a softer plastic.

I agree with others that the change with your Rhyno is probably your game developing, grip changing, etc.

That champ Rhyno will never change in its flight.

I know some people prefer magnets for throwing up shots because of the lower profile. If you like the Rhyno, you prefer a higher profile rim.

I'm no spokesman, but some of these newer "tweener" discs coming out, half putter/ half mid might be worth looking into.

I don't know the Hydra from squat, but they look a little like a Dart. Maybe for the longer 100-200 foot approaches, you'd like the Dart.

ps.

A Champ Rhyno is a great disc out to 200, as long as you don't need any glide. Or, put anotherway, when you absolutely don't want any glide.

Yeti Pro Aviars are great upshot discs, too. Just a bit more stable than the reg mold.

Last edited:
I've thought about it being my grip but I think ultimately its just how the disc feels in my hand, I recently switched all my mids to lower profiled ones and I don't have any issues with any of them anymore or my drivers upon releases. These shots are just a stand and pull through, no run up to cause the inconsistentcy. I've been in similar hiatus's with putting but that only ever lasted a few days to a week max. Whereas this has been over a month getting closer to two, which is why i'm thinking maybe just something that feels better in my hand could be the fix.

I'm also all for trying new discs so i figured since my current ones aren't working I might as well try out something else that is similar and see if it feels better. If not, then while I'm comparing I should be able to find out what works the best and i'll know to stick with that. I've never actually tried any other discs for these slots and I'm definitely not good at powering down things or else i'd do that with my mids.

Loving all the input! Keep it coming! Thanks!

Latest posts