• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter Madness!

I ain't changing my GOTO, but I think it is important to put the GOTO putter in check like a quarterback in the NFL. "Miss again GOTO, and it's in the bag for the rest of the game."

Yeah, the GOTO will be back, but needs to be reminded or even punished for a lack in productivity.

Obviously, I would be lacking something with my form, but blaming GOTO is much more convenient.

how did I hit the trade button?:)

I've found that mu putting and approach game is best with a single mold in different plastics and different stages of wear. I've got 5 wizards in the bag right now, and several backups at home.

i really should do this, but my go to is the ion and there is just not enough variety and they take a while to beat up.

I had a Magic in the bag that I basically only really needed for straddle putts but my Ions get me so close to the basket on my approaches it just ain't worth having in the bag anymore. :\

Might sneak in for a tourney though.

Yeah right, you think Ima p!ss off my challengers by putting another mold in there;) For events I'll sometimes hide a magnet in the zipper pocket but they're so excited for the event they don't see me sneak it in;)

That's exactly how I feel about Wizards. Unfortunately, the Wizard has a pretty serious jealous streak and severely punishes me every time I make it share my bag with another mold. You'd think I'd have learned by now.

Here is what I've tried (and what couldn't hold a candle to Wizards)
Aviars - Big, Small, & No Bead
Challengers - CryZtal & ProD
Magnets -Soft
Banger GTs - Soft & ESP
Zones - ProD
Ions - Medium & Soft
VPs
Ridges
Magics - Organic (Hard & floppy SSS)
Voodoos - Soft
Warlocks - Soft

Obviously, I would be lacking something with my form, but blaming GOTO is much more convenient.

That's why you keep a backup for your goto. Not a new mold, just a Soft, or maybe Medium to make your OG a little jealous. I've got a lighter small circle tool Soft that keeps my OG SSS in check.

I've found that mu putting and approach game is best with a single mold in different plastics and different stages of wear. I've got 5 wizards in the bag right now, and several backups at home.

^This except I'm currently only carrying 4. 2 for putting and 1 beat/1 new for driving.

Good call on the backup mold Teebird.

These Wizards got me hooked, and I probably shouldn't completely abandon the mold when my putting goes south. I usually just grab for a gummy champ ryhno. Thing seems to be forgiving if I am having form errors.

Your go to putter doesn't miss. YOU miss. Remain loyal and you will be rewarded.

Putter talk is always a touchy subject.:)

All in All, the putter can be a very important disc, other than for just putting it in the basket. Some approaches I could never of made so precisely without using a putter-like disc.

I am going to go out on a limb and say most players with tons of putter control are descent players to say the least. Now which putter to throw is the question:thmbup:

I side with the Wizard fans here. I carry 4 in the bag:

1 Organic Go-To putter
1 organic (lighter and more "weathered" for long jump putts
1 Backup organic (in case the go-to is being moody and not staying in the chains)
1 Evo for drives - seems to have even more glide and stays dead straight

My putters

2 Pro D Challengers - one is more beat up and a straight flyer, the other is more stable and I tend to use it for windy days and hyzer putts / jump putts

1 FLX Challenger - I don't know about anyone else, but these things have a ton of glide. I use this as an approach disc, driver, long go for putts, hyzer, anhyzer, whatever. You can throw these with power and all use for touch shots.

the Wizard is good but I never liked it
others like the Aviar

I use a disc that doesn't get much play from what I have seen

the Ringer
low profile so you can get decent distance from it
it can handle a hard tug
fairly stable and predictable with the bead
flies true with a good drop rate on putts

I usually carry 4 to 5 in my bag
1 Z for driving
2 for putting (one heavier one lighter)
2 beat ones, carried for pre-round practice putting and one more of the turnover duty

I've gone through my fair share of putters, since that inside 300' is the most important part of the game. I had been a long time Challenger user, but RECENTLY picked up a couple medium 175 IONs, and have been loving driving with them. And I only use one mold of putter, and since I think the IONs are going to replace my challengers for driving, it means they'll replace for putting. My putting isn't really affected by whatever putter I use, so it's kind of irrelevant (obviously the plastic matters, I HATE softs).

i carry five putters. 3 SS magics(all firm)/2 rhynos (pro/star). great combo that covers anything i would ever need.

1 KC pro Aviar - My goto putting
1 BB Star Aviar - Driving off the tee ( and will use when punishing my GOTO Driver for missing)
1 Star Aviar for upshots

My putters

2 Pro D Challengers - one is more beat up and a straight flyer, the other is more stable and I tend to use it for windy days and hyzer putts / jump putts

1 FLX Challenger - I don't know about anyone else, but these things have a ton of glide. I use this as an approach disc, driver, long go for putts, hyzer, anhyzer, whatever. You can throw these with power and all use for touch shots.

I've a friend who uses a FLX Challenger and loves it. If I ever have to replace my hard elite-x challengers, I'll probably try that out.

Currently, I use hard elite-x challengers for driving and soft elite-x Putt'rs for putting. Over the years, I have tried:

light hard x challenger (first disc purchase)
soft magnet
heavy hard x challenger (still in use)
wizard
soft APX
soft x-Putt'r (I love the unique feel of the rim and I don't see myself changing it any time soon)

I have about 30 putters right now including about 10 Aviar p&a's and about 10 Aviar big beads. I used to have about 50 putters but have been selling/trading the extras off. Drive for show, but putt for dough!!

Like I have said on too amny bag suggestion threads is to pick one putter and stay with it. Like everyone else who thinks that buying another disc will improve their game that much more, I went through lots of different putters thinking it was the putter that was making me not hit my putts. I settled on the Aviars early on and switched to the Voodoo. I have numerous Voodoos and have not picked up another putter since. That is all I carry. Unless there is some very specific reasons why I should change my putter, I will not. I figure the more you get comfortable with one disc, the less variables there are too worrry about when putting. By eliminating other issues that may mess up your putt, the less could go wrong with it and hopefully the more putts you will make. So to the OP, I just don't see any advantage in switching putters, I am comfortable with my Voodoos and just don't see replaing them anytime soon.

Unless there is some very specific reasons why I should change my putter, I will not. I figure the more you get comfortable with one disc, the less variables there are too worrry about when putting.

I agree 1000%. It's one thing to carry a windy day putter, but I know a guy who carries a Sinus, an APX, an XD, and sometimes putts with his Mako. He is not a very good putter.

I started putting with Ions because I *love* the way they drive, but I'm starting to realize how much I hate premium plastic putters. I'm gonna feel up some Wizards and some R-Pro Aviars tomorrow on my way to Idlewild, and decide what to use then.

Anybody know if the R-Pro Aviar has a bead?

I use an R-Pro Avair, and an R-Pro Hydra. the Hydra I drive with the the Avair I putt with.

I've gone throug so many putters it's stupid. I finally went back to the original putter I used for 8yrs+

omega ap - go to
ce omega - driver
se rhyno - flick putts,rollers,windy days but it has to be roaring for it to come out for putting .
champ rhyno - overstable approach( rarely use it now)

I have a zone but I don't use it as a putter,i actually suck at using it as a putter. I use it more for short drives ,spike hyzers. Basically like a short overstable mid to me.