• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter Madness!

Although I've been told several times that it's more for approaches than putting, I use a Pro Pig as my GOTO. I really love the way it feels in my hand and the fade at the end of it's flight has been the difference between a sunk putt or a bounce out many times.

I also have a super soft wizard that I switch to now and then, and a black aviar BB that I really want to like, but don't.

I'm considering trying out a Star or Champion Rhyno but I'm slightly apprehensive because I found a Special Edition Soft Rhyno and I tried to use it but I don't like it at all. I'm hoping that a newer Star or Champion version will be more firm.

Does anyone know of another putter maybe by a company besides Innova that has a similar flight to a Pig?

The Zone replaced my Pig after the Pig taco'd from a single tree hit. It never regained it's shape and was left with a huge lump on the flight plate. However, if you get the Zone in ESP, expect it to be very flat and very, very stiff. I'm not sure why, but I honestly have Z discs that have more give in the flight plate than my Zone. Personally, I couldn't live with a putter that stiff and I only use mine for upshots.

My go-to putter is the Pro D Challenger. I still carry a Magnet for anhyzer approaches, but that will be replaced as soon as the Challengers wear in a little bit. I've tried lots of putters and Challengers in all types of plastic, but I found that I really only want one putter in one plastic.

Does anyone know of another putter maybe by a company besides Innova that has a similar flight to a Pig?

The Vibram VP is a really overstable putter that a lot of people have compared to the flight of the rhyno, not too far off from the pig. It comes in various levels of softness, so you might find one that feels right.

i use to throw pro rhynos......i have switched to kc pro aviar for drives and throwing through trees and my r-wood aviar for my open and finesse shots..it grabs the chains nicely........i have 6 kc pros and 8 r-woods for practice......

DX Rhyno is best of all worlds for me. Break in super slowly, grippy, durable, inexpensive, can handle power, etc. I love how the dome gradually flattens with beating them. You end up with a flat top dead straight disc that just sits. The original eraser stiff Wizards are very cool, along with the Aviar Putt & Approach in DX. I didn't really dig Champ/Z putters. Never tried Star. Soft SE Rhyno was cool too, but I prefer a stiff putter.

I've found that mu putting and approach game is best with a single mold in different plastics and different stages of wear. I've got 5 wizards in the bag right now, and several backups at home.

This. Though I've been limiting myself to 3 or 4 Wizards :p

166 OG for putts
170 gummy Evo for drives and approaches

Those two discs make up about 80% of my throws. The rest of my Wizards rotate around, but right now it's...

175 SS beat, first Wiz, just wanted to throw it some before snow hits and I temporarily retire favorites / hard to replace discs.
178 SSS working on beating this one up. I love the way a seasoned, overweight Wizard flies.

I'm a putter-holic.
I can throw muh putters out to 300' so they see a lot of airtime. I'd guess that at least half of my shots during a round are with putters.

Right now I'm liking the Polecat/Avair P&A/Rhyno combo.
But there are soooooo many putters I like that this combo changes frequently.

I love my soft wizards. fits my hand perfectly and has the right tackiness to grip. i just bought a stack for cheap from discnation's brick and mortar.

I love my soft wizards. fits my hand perfectly and has the right tackiness to grip. i just bought a stack for cheap from discnation's brick and mortar.

Putted with tons of putters. Haven't tried them all, but wizard is just the right combo of everything you want in a putter, made from the best putter plastics in the game.

It's no illusion the magic of the wizard(soft or organic):thmbup:

Since my last post I've decided to stick with Wizards and now carry three in my bag (S, SS, Evo).

I use an R-Pro Avair, and an R-Pro Hydra. the Hydra I drive with the the Avair I putt with.

I have now Changed to a M. Ion and a S. Ion. It makes it easier with the two same molds. Putt with Soft and Drive and Small Mids with M.

XD currently, but adding an Ion soon. I love the small rim of the XD, gripping it isn't as awkward as my buddy's Aviar

aj

I love my drivers, fairways, mids, and utilities. But the more I keep refining my game, I just keep finding myself with more and more putters. Anyone else find themselves needing more and more of these awesome contraptions?

Drive for show, Putt for plastic or $$$
First putter was an Aviar. Used it for about 3 mos but struggled with it. Tried a friend's XD, fit perfectly in my hand, was awesome for upshots, and used it for a couple of years. The negative was they got beat up superfast. Tried the combo of Ringer and Zone for a while. Now I use a Blowfly, Ringer, and Zone. Blowfly does not roll and stays where it lands. The Zone handles the wind very well, which is a must in North Texas. So I use 3 putters at his time.

R-Pro Pig FTW! ;)

But seriously, I love my pigs. 2 aces with the oldest one. They are great on my home course where it is usually super windy. I really like how they are progressing with age/wear & tear. Not quite as overstable after a few years, but they still hold the line.

I have incorporated the SSS wizards & eco magics into the bag for non-windy putting, but I keep going back to the trusty pigs for most approach shots and shorter drives. Only thing I dislike about winter golf is leaving my best/oldest pig at home because it's white.

I had about 50 different putters at one time. I grew really fond of the Big Bead Aviars though and now I have about maybe 20 putters and 15 of them are BB Aviars.

I carry 4 soft wizards 2 for putting and 2 for upshots/short tees.

Lately for me its been Challangers for putting and drives. I also carry a Rattler for approach shots and making runs at the basket.