• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter rotation - how often do you swap?

I rotate my putters. I have a small stack that I swap in and out every couple of months. They are all beat in at about the same stage. Each on flies almost identical and has the same feel. My thought was that if something should happen to my main putter I can just grab one off the stack and not miss a beat. So far its worked realy well and I am not attached to any one putter so mentaly it doesnt affect me to switch it up. If I need to replenish the stack I pick up a few new putters and play some practice rounds and use them for putting practice until they reach the same stage as my putting stack.

I never swap for freshness, only if i find a better feeling blend (or sometimes to color cordinate).

I have had the same b/s challenger in my bag for 3 or 4 years. It is thrashed and beautiful. I have a handful as backups but have only used the others as practice putters. When it falls apart in my hands ill replace it.

I don't drive my putting putters so I've had the same Barstamp Ringer and Zero Line Spike in my bag for two years now.

i've had the same one in my bag for a year or so now and don't intend to take it out until i lose it or break it. only use it putting, though.

I've used the same Chunk VP for circle putts for more than 2 years now, its the disc on the first page of the Vibram thread. It has no damage,and its flies exactly the same as day one.

Every disc in my bag has to earn the right to stay there. Putters have a shorter leash than any other disc. Maybe because putts are the hardest shot.

Putters don't really wear out but they can dip down and become too concave to fit comfortably in the hand. Last Winter I cracked one of my main putters and that messed with my head for a couple weeks. I have several back ups waiting in the wings.

It might only take one or two poor putting rounds to give another putter a try out. I think my current putters know this as they have been working hard to stay in the bag. My current primary putter has been in the bag for about a year and a half. It looks like it has been through the wars.

I don't drive my putting putters so I've had the same Barstamp Ringer and Zero Line Spike in my bag for two years now.
I also don't (have stopped after a round or two putter rounds) drive with my SE Rhyno and it's been my main putter since I bought it several years ago. I can't see it leaving its position as my putter or leaving my bag at any time. Why would anyone change putters?

Until June of this year, I've been using the same aviar that was in my innova starter kit that I bought in the mid 90's. Putting has always been inconsistent for me. In June, the son of a friend of my co-worker unexpectantly died and this friend gave me his son's discs. In that cache was and old, beat up, warped JK aviar-x. That putter has helped increase my accuracy and took over all putting duties.

I've got an anode and ion that are in trials right now. Don't know if either will replace that JK though.

D.

For putts in and around the circle I use the same Ion. I have a stack for practice but carry the same one on the course. With all of the practice and play it's taken a beating, but I haven't seen any reason to swap it out yet. I carry the Anode because... I paid for it... and usually throw the Pures (different plastics depending on how many trees I'm planning to hit) for longer putts and approach shots that are too short for a mid.

I've had the same champ rhyno in my bag for ten years. I briefly tried wizards for a few months, was putting well in practice, but played poorly in tourneys with them. The rhyno is back in the bag. It probably flies less stable than when it was new, but I know that disc like the back of my hand.

I have 7 jk avairs varying in weight...use them all well on occasion just can't dial in what weight is the best for me. Does anybody have any input on weight i got them ranging from 162to175.

I swap mine way too often. Started with an Omega SS, went to a Star Aviar, then a Star Rhyno. I had a dx hydra that I really liked. I could control the flight very well, but I couldn't stop it from bouncing and rolling away. So I went back to the Rhyno until I got an anode, and that's what I throw for the most part at the moment. I need to stick with one for a while and quit swapping.

I swap mine way too often. Started with an Omega SS, went to a Star Aviar, then a Star Rhyno. I had a dx hydra that I really liked. I could control the flight very well, but I couldn't stop it from bouncing and rolling away. So I went back to the Rhyno until I got an anode, and that's what I throw for the most part at the moment. I need to stick with one for a while and quit swapping.
Try out the Pure. EZE or Zero. They are magic. Made me give my Rhyno for putting and I've been putting with a rhyno for years.

Why would anyone change putters?

Plenty of reasons.

Aviars to Rhynos - Rhynos didn't feel like crap to my hand. Love Aviar flights but hate the feel.

Rhynos to Wizards - Vastly superior glide and I liked how the ss plastic felt over my pro rhynos.

Wizards to Ions - Even more glide, way more durable than the types of wizards I putted, much better driver, more comfortable rim.

Ions to Anodes - Best combo of glide and high speed stability I've found in a putter. Took me a while to feel this way but I find them more comfortable than Ions in a putting grip. Fades later than the Ion but still fights wind well.

That's not to mention ones I flirted with for less than a month like the Magic and Omega.

I swapped once at the very beginning from dx aviar to ss wizard. then i found the right feel of wizards and have been putting with the same one ever since like 2.5 years. I have 1 identical backup, and a few that are really really close. It feels good and I am comfortable with it therefore im confident with it.

Driving putter on the other hand I just don't know what to do. Tried several different wizards, dx aviar and ion twice now. still unsure on what I really like

I have a Yeti Pro Aviar that seems to fit the length of my fingers just right with the depressed dome - much more control compared to the R-Pro Aviar. Im using the Yeti from farther out as I play more as well.

Latest posts