• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter round disc selection

charmees

Par Member
My max drives are 330-360ft with drivers.

I have recent picked up playing rounds with putter, because I saw a video where it was recommended by a lot of pros to work on form. It seems to help me also.

I started with star aviar, but it seems a bit overstable for me, since I am used to throwing everything in hyzer, I was never flipping that disc really. I switched to lat64 pure, which is alot more understable and was able to throw more different lines with it. Also it flew alot further, but is also speed 3.

In general what would be a good putter for rounds to concentrate on my form? Should it be under or overstable? Any recommendations from Innova?

When I throw one disc wangos, I do throw a Lat64 pure, preferably the medium soft. Lately though, I have really been getting into the D-Line Discmania P3. I do not use it to putt unless I am w/in 15', but off the tee and as an approach disc, it seems to fight very well. Into a headwind it will flip, but in all other conditions it flies the path that I put it on.

Can't go wrong with a DX Aviar.
Check out the Nova too if you're looking for form improvement.

I play putter rounds with a Yeti Aviar, just prefer the bead.

I love my driving putters and 1 disc- form improvement rounds,

versatility is important to me- for BH and FH grip-

right now- i'm choosing between

Envy
Jokeri
Shield

I prefer an understable putter for a one disc round, that way I am forced to shape difference shots and really control my power and angles. That is usually a beat DX or Mcpro aviar. Other times I will also carry my P2 or rhyno as well and throw each shot with both. That helps me learn about shaping lines in new ways. For instance I might have a really easy flick with an overstable putter, but then I have to try and make the same shot using the understable one.

Agree on US. For putter rounds or even 2-3 disc rounds i like playing with nothing OS.

Judge or macana

I think that you might want to try a round with the DD Judge, or L64 Macana. They both fly great. The judge will fly farther and glide more. It is possible to hit 350 with the Judge (after a bit of practice) and a bit under 300 with the Macana.

Both discs are more OS than the pure (which I also love), but can be put on any line. I also find both of them to be easier to flick than the pure. I can throw flicks, thumbers, grenades, annies, hyzer backhands with both.

I offer these two as alternatives and as two discs with different feel in the hand and that have both helped me improve throwing for D and my short game overall.

Your mileage may vary!

For putter only round focusing on form, I prefer a putter that flies just a tad overstable and for me that's a SSS Wizard. It allows me to exactly see the line I'm throwing it on through the release and the flight.

Pure is a great choice. Basically any putter that fits your hand and flies pretty neutral will work. The idea is to use different release angles to shape lines instead of relying on discs with different stabilities. If you can make your pure hold a hyzer, straight flight and anhyzer, then that's all you need.

Pure and aviar is exactly what i would bring. Aviar for hyzers and pure for shotshaping, flipping, straight shots etc.

The course I play the most often during the summer is short enough that I can get by with just a putter for most of it. I use a DX or Pro Dart.

I use an Opto Pure for drives. I do a Pure only round at least once a week at the niner by my house. I did drive my Ion on a long approach yesterday though, and was pretty happy with that result. I just hadn't been using it outside of 100' because the rounded underside felt weird with a power grip. But might try some Ion only rounds next just for the fun of it.

BT Hard Shield that is beat in to about as perfectly neutral as can be. I feel like playing rounds with just this has not only helped my throwing, but also helped my decision making during regular rounds. I see more lines from point a-->b now as opposed to always forcing a right-to-left shot.

Played a round a few weeks ago, Nova against Aero. The Aero beat he Nova by 6! Nova is just a little too deep. But it was a fun experiment.

Played a round a few weeks ago, Nova against Aero. The Aero beat he Nova by 6! Nova is just a little too deep. But it was a fun experiment.
Great to read about the success of the Aero. It was my first disc and it is the one that surprises me most often. Of course, that can be seen to be a bad habit for a golf disc, but I like that this disc has its own personality ... it's more than just a tool. ;-)