• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter with a mid, driver feeling... not XD

RHINESEL

Double Eagle Member
Style: I release more from my chest out. I have a flat release with no hyzer. I don't "power" the putt in, instead using a softer throw that will leave me right next to the basket if missed. Kind of like going for the "swoosh" in basketball instead of banging off the backboard.

Putters tried: Aviar, Ion, Magic, Birdie, XD.

Hate: High rims, beads

I never really got used to using putters with higher rims. I like the feel of positive contact between my forefinger and my thumb. Resting my index finger on the rim or having the edge of the rim in the nook of my first knuckle doesn't really feel comfortable.

The other day I was practicing putting (doing bad) and my daughter was playing with my Pro Leopard (because she likes the "pink" disc). When she moved on, I picked up the leopard and putted with it for the heck of it. I was amazed how well the disc held a flat line. I believe it is because of the added plastic around the edge helped it stay gyroscopic. Also the low rim allowed me to "pinch" the disc and felt very comfortable in the hand.

Playing today, I actually used my Meteor as a putter for some pretty good results on the course. Same reason I believe, low rim, more material around the edge.

So the question is, are there any true putters that are more mid/driver like where you can grip with a pinch and have the material to remain very gyroscopic? With my style of a flat release, I don't think a rounded edge is really important due to the fact that it is hitting the chains perpendicular.

Since I putt pretty soft too I'm thinking I'd need more of an understable putter.

Tried the DX XD.. meh. I could use it in a pinch. The rim was low but it didn't feel "chunky" enough.

Considering a Banger GT as the groove track brings the thumb pretty low.

Looking for a putter to use as that... a putter. I don't drive with the putter (same issue... not comfortable with the grip).

Any other ideas?

Last edited:
rhyno,ringer,wizard

all have beads but all are low profile and feel very good to throw.

Why do you need a putter? If you like the way a mid feels for putting just use it.

look into a magnet, its the same rim feel as a meteor/buzz/wasp type
it is a smaller diameter than all the mids, and its still not to be considered the thinnest...

but it fits in well with my midrange lineup, instinctive type feel, same grip

idk, a new magnet is like 8 bucks, wortha shot

Hey even DGR circa 2008 is useful.Link here

There was a bit of discussion there. As for more recent discs, the Ringer feels good, and will offer you a different flight than the XD with a similar height rim. (not sure about the chunky feeling you are searching for though)
As you mentioned the banger GT is a good choice as well. The thumb trac is great for some players, not all.

Look here at the height and rim depth of different putters, the less deep it is the better it should feel for you http://www.pdga.com/documents/pdga-approved-discs-pdf You might like the Lat64 Pure or Spike(I like the pure better) or the Vibram Summit

Thanks for the link, that has some good info. Looks like I'm looking for about 1.3 rim depth and 1.5 or so rim width. Not looking to good for a putter.

Why do you need a putter? If you like the way a mid feels for putting just use it.

I have no problems if I have to use a mid, just trying to get some ideas. I'm also experimenting with different grips too.

The only problem with a mid is it goes too far past the basket when you miss, but since you throw a soft putt that won't be a problem for you. A mid will fade more that a putter at short distances so you might not like that. If you want to try a mid I'd get FLX plastic or similar, stays in the basket better than champ/z plastic. Sometimes I'll putt with my FLX Drone when I'm not doing good with my normal putter.

If you get a Pure and don't like it I'll trade you something else for it :)

The only problem with a mid is it goes too far past the basket when you miss, but since you throw a soft putt that won't be a problem for you. A mid will fade more that a putter at short distances so you might not like that. If you want to try a mid I'd get FLX plastic or similar, stays in the basket better than champ/z plastic. Sometimes I'll putt with my FLX Drone when I'm not doing good with my normal putter.

If you get a Pure and don't like it I'll trade you something else for it :)

Yup, that's why I was using my Meteor. Something understable to help when the speed slows down.

Oh, and I use the Drone too sometimes! Usually when I have to putt around a tree. It's my go too hyzer disc.

Lat. 64 Spike is what you want.

Rim depth is fairly comparable to an XD, but flies much more stable.

r pro dart yo. used one here for a while. has a definate midrange feel and IMO the only r-pro plastic disc that innova really did right. super tacky, nice flop, but not to much. really grabs the chains nice glide. and is pretty zero-ed out stability wise.

i used mine for mid shots mostly. finesse shots from 150 in. they stop where they land because they are somewhat floppy.

give it a go. they're pretty cheap. what like 12 bucks or something?

Last edited:
I bought a pig purely for what you're looking for. It takes some getting used to, but the feeling is close to perfect for me. This is most apparant to me for driving with putters.

DISCRAFT ZONE !!!​
Picture102.jpg

Picture104.jpg

Picture103.jpg

I like the shape of that Zone. Angled wing, almost Buzzz like. In fact, the rim depth and the width is exactly the same as a Buzzz.

Looks to be a Meteor rim shape the size of a Buzzz. Flatter too? Looks a lot like the Buzzz/Meteor. Hard to see what the difference is.

I'm afraid it would be too overstable though. Where I throw touch shots I need something that won't fade as it almost hits the basket, just holds a nice straight line.

r pro dart yo. used one here for a while. has a definate midrange feel and IMO the only r-pro plastic disc that innova really did right. super tacky, nice flop, but not to much. really grabs the chains nice glide. and is pretty zero-ed out stability wise.

i used mine for mid shots mostly. finesse shots from 150 in. they stop where they land because they are somewhat floppy.

give it a go. they're pretty cheap. what like 12 bucks or something?

I know a lot of people use Darts as putters. I got a chance to fondle one (unfortunately no throws) but it just didn't jive with me.

And I think the Dart is a definite mid.

I like the shape of that Zone. Angled wing, almost Buzzz like. In fact, the rim depth and the width is exactly the same as a Buzzz.

Looks to be a Meteor rim shape the size of a Buzzz. Flatter too? Looks a lot like the Buzzz/Meteor. Hard to see what the difference is.

I'm afraid it would be too overstable though. Where I throw touch shots I need something that won't fade as it almost hits the basket, just holds a nice straight line.

Never mind. I saw the shape of the rim on the Discraft site and it's definitely not Meteor like. Not as sharp. Almost like they blunted it and rounded the top.

I'll have to check it out though.

yea the zone is stable as all heck ...

idk what ur gona find thats fits that profile and understable-stable ... idk ...lol

I LOVE MY RHYNOS and thats THAT !!! ~!!$$$!!~

Last edited:

Latest posts