• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Putters

Just find a putter that feels good in your hand & stick with it. It's good to pick a putter mold & plastic that's in current production. If your putter gets to beat up or you lose it, it's nice to be able to easily get a new one to replace it. I'd also recommend putting with the same putter for all situations & wind conditions. This allows you to learn how your putter acts in various conditions & it helps keep everything consistent. If you have to switch putters because of wind & such you really don't trust yourself or the disc. Also if you like to drive with putters make sure to have a putter dedicated just for putting. There's nothing worse than losing or cracking your putting putter because you drove with it. Driving with your putting putter also beats it up faster than just using it for putting, which affects how it flies on putts, especially when putting outside of the circle. There is no magic putter, just the one you've used so much you know how it will act in every condition.

Actually there is a Magic putter. :D

Whatever you do, do NOT start putting with vintage DX, Star, R-Pro, or Pro XD's.

I already pay a pretty penny for these and don't need any more competitors when I bid on ebay.

Really there isn't really 1 putter thats THAT much better than others....I suggest going to a big store (if possible) and just feeling some out...whether its stable or understable it comes down to your comfort and confidence in yourself and the disc. I have gone through MANY in my course of DG. I have played since I was 20, I am 28 now. I settled on a newbie but a goodie. The SE Pa1 and SE Pa4. Honestly they are (to me anyway) the best putters, best grip, best chain catching That I have personally played with. Pa4 is A LOT like a magic fyi. Try a few out, find what works...but dont give up on the disc...try playing differntly, or more confident, and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. thats the key....good day ;)

My problem is that I have not found a putter I do not like - Soft Focus, Pro D Challenger, FLX Challenger, R Pro Polecat, Evo Wizard, BT Soft Swan, Star Aviar - if I try it, I like it...really want to give one away, but I can't decide which one I can live without....
I have given away drivers, though, I pretty much hate all of those.

I think that its a consensus. Pick one and stick with it. I like cycling baselines for put and approach duties and have a champ of the same mold for drives and wind duties. I have been using this setup for a while and is working much better than when I used multiple molds for different roles

Imagine this. You're the last one to putt on hole #18. You made a $100 bet but you only have $20 on you. You have to make a 20 footer for the win. What putter are you holding?

I switch up my putters for open or tight courses and based on wind. For my 40 foot or less putts, most of the time I use a KC Pro Aviar, but have also enjoyed the McPro Aviars occasionally. Every so often I start pulling these putters too far right or turn them over too much, and start missing high and right. That is when I pull out my rhynos. They are a touch more stable and the extra fade usually gets me hitting chains again.

I also usually go to the rhyno for the tight woods courses and when it gets windy. For longer shots in still weather I use an rpro dart and when the wind picks up I go to a c line p3.

The most important thing in my opinion is to get 2 or 3 of the putters you like in a similar weight and wear level, and use them over and over for different shot shapes to learn their flight pattern. I used to hate rhynos because they seemed to have no glide and would always hyzer out hard. Now I know that a lot stronger flick and a flat release will get me the same flight as a KC aviar with a more reliable amount of fade if the shot calls for it. But if I need a long, tall, sweeping anhyzer putt, I know exactly how to release a KC aviar to get the glide and fall I want. I can hit the same line with a rhyno but I have put a lot more oomph into it so using the KC is easier. It's all about experience with your discs.

Ignore this entire quoted section.

Find the mold you like. Have it in baseline for approach and putting. Get the same mold in a premium plastic. Use this for drives. I use wizards for everything putter related. It is about finding a putter you like and learning it. That is what gets you comfortable with a putter.

Find one your hand likes the feel of and you can wrap your brain around. Then buy 10 of them and practice until you feel comfortable relying on it.

Also Use the Wizard.

Ignore this entire quoted section.

Find the mold you like. Have it in baseline for approach and putting. Get the same mold in a premium plastic. Use this for drives. I use wizards for everything putter related. It is about finding a putter you like and learning it. That is what gets you comfortable with a putter.

I shared my opinion and you shared yours. Which were nearly the same. Soooo, yeah. Don't be a dick.

You guys never have anything but straight, wide-open putts every time?

Last edited:
I guess I did go into a lot of putters, but a lot of those are more for approach shots I guess. I use the rhyno and KC aviar as my main putter. And I will always have them both in my bag.