• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting from up close.

innovamania

Okay so most threads are about tips for being a better putter and making longer putts but I have the opposite problem as of lately. I am completely rebuilding my game trying to emphasize form above all else and it's worked well so far. My problem lies with close up putts though the 10-12 ft. gimmes end up missing high or missing low. Is this just a nerves thing or is their something I can do to help alleviate it. Any advice is appreciated.

If I miss a close putt it's because I didn't aim or take my time & think it through. If I take a few seconds to set-up my stance & aim at a chain link I will nail those short one's with ease. I believe that no matter how close or far away you are when putting to always do the same routine every time whether it's a 5' or 30' putt. It can also just be a problem with nerves. If I don't feel right about a putt I will get outta my stance, take a deep breath, get back into my stance then go for it. You have 30 seconds to throw so take advantage of that time if you need it.

Im betting its just nerves man. Clear your mind,remember to still follow through and stare that sucker all the way in to the bottom of the cage!

Just walk up and smash it into the heart of the chains. It's that easy. Don't over think it.

I think sometimes people end up missing short putts because they are trying to use their full putting motion and "take something off of it" which occasionally results in ridiculous looking putts that hit the bottom of the cage from 10 feet. I struggled with this myself at one point. Now if i have a short putt from 10-15 feet i switch to a putt that limits the force i'm putting on my putt naturally. Instead of rocking back and through i load all my weight on my front foot and limit the moving pieces of my routine, just tossing it in with my arm. Now I can't remember the last time i missed a ten footer.

When you're practicing and when you warm up before the round, make sure to do some short putts instead of just focusing on the long ones. It's very easy to lose your rhythm and muscle memory when you don't make an effort to warm up those short putts.

Just walk up and smash it into the heart of the chains. It's that easy. Don't over think it.

As rude as this likely comes across, since chances are the OP was wanting some technique, or something. This is 100% correct. These putts are gimme's until you start thinking about it too much. I miss at least 1 a round by talking myself out of being confident. Don't give yourself that chance.

When you're practicing and when you warm up before the round, make sure to do some short putts instead of just focusing on the long ones. It's very easy to lose your rhythm and muscle memory when you don't make an effort to warm up those short putts.

I don't even practice putt outside 20' before a round. And i don't practice outside 30' ever really. I want to make EVERY putt before a round to build confidence, so I start at 5-10' and hit a bunch, then roll out to 15' and make a bunch of putts. I might throw 20', but only if i'm really feeling good. One miss and back to 15' to finish on a high note. Whenever I do this, I putt WAY better in the round. If i fall into putting like everyone else's warmup (25-35' putts) i miss, and then during round, I get shaky on the short ones too.

Last edited:
When I was learning how to putt, I started at 3', where I could basically touch chain. I hammered them in, and only moved back when I knew I could.

I'd say just focus and follow through the putt like you would do on longer ones.

I missed a 2 feet putt in last tourney, DROPPED it an inch off the basket. Ended up winning that tourney by 2 strokes, but I definitely won't do that again. Ever.

Use the 2 putter, 15 minute practice drill twice EVERYDAY!! Don't remember where I saw it, but it was a few weeks back and I think there is a video about it.

You only practice putts you can make, only 2 putters, only 15 minutes twice a day. Take a break in between sessions and see if you can go the 15 minutes without missing any putts. If you do miss, move a little closer and start banging the chains again.

I know it sounds too easy to be productive, but it worked for me. Built confidence, muscle memory & stretched out my putting game. Hope this helps.

I think sometimes people end up missing short putts because they are trying to use their full putting motion and "take something off of it" which occasionally results in ridiculous looking putts that hit the bottom of the cage from 10 feet. I struggled with this myself at one point. Now if i have a short putt from 10-15 feet i switch to a putt that limits the force i'm putting on my putt naturally. Instead of rocking back and through i load all my weight on my front foot and limit the moving pieces of my routine, just tossing it in with my arm. Now I can't remember the last time i missed a ten footer.

I second this post.

Don't over think it, like already stated. You're arm knows how to put it in from that close, just let it do the work.

Never discount any putt. They are all important. Treat them all like this and don't be one of those folks who bricks and easy in because they were too lazy or unfocused to set down their bag, line up the shot, and finish out the hole!

I also do this, great advice I actually have 3 different putting routines.

#1 is for putts like we are talking about that are close. I keep all my weight on my front foot, pump once and smash chains.

#2 is for putts outside ~13' I pump a few times, get more focused, rock a bit to get some rhythm and weight tansfer going. Rock back and fire.

#3 is for jump putts. It basically involves the same as #2, but right before I putt, I get my feet into a bit more athletic position and bend at the knees. A little more.

Think about your casual rounds, do you take your time on 10ft putts? Or do you walk up with your bag on one shoulder and drill it in the heart like its no big deal? I developed my "gimme" rapid fire routine from this type mentality.

Interesting question and interesting replies. Ten-footers can seem much more daunting than 30-footers. *Everyone* is expected to make the 10-footer but hitting the 30-footer might get you a, "Good putt!". So, if you're susceptible to pressure, that 10-footer in the heat of battle can really mess with your mind. The folks above are spot on ... don't overthink it ... back away if your brain starts churning ... bang it in.

Here's an exercise to try that might be surprising: Scatter 10-12 (or as many as you have) putters at 10-15 ft from the basket. Walk up to each one, bend over and pick it up, and immediately fire it into the basket. Don't aim, don't use a routine, don't set up; just pick it up, see the target, and fire. Do it as fast as possible. This is a speed drill.

The surprising part is that you may find that your make percentage is just as good, or better, out to a certain distance, as it is using your full routine. What you make of the results is up to you. What it tells me is that my ability to put the disc in the chains is fine but I sometimes choke on the short ones when I let myself over think (read: worry about missing) them.

Bro D is right on ... pull your putter, slam chains, move on.

Use the 2 putter, 15 minute practice drill twice EVERYDAY!! Don't remember where I saw it, but it was a few weeks back and I think there is a video about it.

You only practice putts you can make, only 2 putters, only 15 minutes twice a day. Take a break in between sessions and see if you can go the 15 minutes without missing any putts. If you do miss, move a little closer and start banging the chains again.

I know it sounds too easy to be productive, but it worked for me. Built confidence, muscle memory & stretched out my putting game. Hope this helps.

http://discraft.com/vid/html/dg10.html

Putting Confidence Program

Practice making putts. Make putts from 10' - 15' instead of missing often from 25'+. Once 15' feels like a set in, moving back 5' is nothing to worry about. Once 20' feels like a set in, moving back 5' is nothing to worry about. Once 25' feels like a set in, moving back 5' is nothing to worry about. You get the idea.

I don't even practice putt outside 20' before a round. And i don't practice outside 30' ever really. I want to make EVERY putt before a round to build confidence, so I start at 5-10' and hit a bunch, then roll out to 15' and make a bunch of putts. I might throw 20', but only if i'm really feeling good. One miss and back to 15' to finish on a high note. Whenever I do this, I putt WAY better in the round. If i fall into putting like everyone else's warmup (25-35' putts) i miss, and then during round, I get shaky on the short ones too.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :thmbup:

For 5-10 footers, I actually leave my bag on one shoulder to force my body to putt like this. I have no choice to just arm it in when the other half of my body has the wieght of my bag on it. Sometimes I've taken it off to hit an "important" close putt.. it feels weird and I'll end up missing it. Now I always leave it on.