• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Putting putter plastic

elkevo

Par Member
What plastic do y'all like for your putting putters? I've always used base line DX or D-line and they seem to get chunked up pretty quick. I'm considering trying out a premium plastic, but want to see what the general consensus is before I do. So, besides the added durability, is there any other real advantage to premium plastic for putting putters?

Kastaplast K3 plastic is the best "premium baseline" out there.
Take a beating and just gets better.
If you are putting with the P1x, maybe try the Kastaplast Reko in K3 plastic.

To answer your question, not really. Putting putters are all about feel. If you like DX, I'd say just keep using DX. Either learn to love the wear on a disc or buy a stack of them and rotate.

I you're using your putting putter for driving as well, I would recommend that u dedicate a putter to just putting, goes a long way towards durability

I like a harder, but grippy plastic(like yeti pro, XT, or some runs of SS)

I prefer the Classic plastic, and I use primarily the Warden and sometimes the Judge. I've also liked the Jawbreaker plastic from Discraft, and the Challenger putter has done real well for me in that plastic.

From what I've read on these boards and elsewhere, many prefer baseline plastics to premium because of grip, and because putting is hard even on the premium plastics, so cost may be an issue. And of course, there's nothing so personal and specific to individual players as putters, so you may get a variety of answers...

I think you would be sacrificing too much in terms of grip if you were to use premium plastics for putting. I use Prodigy 350g for putting and it is very durable for putting purposes. I used to putt with the Banger GT in Pro-D plastic and was disgusted at how easily chunks would get taken out just from hitting the basket at putting speeds. If you're into Innova/Discmania just use the X-line/XT or KC Pro type plastics.

You also might check out Millennium's different level of baselines... they are decent.

I prefer regular ol DX or the stiffer classic DX in my Aviars. I really like the grip especially if it's wet out. I have two in the bag that are putting only. I never drive with them. You can get years of use out of them that way. I carry a soft Omega for long jump putts or approach shots. The bead helps it stay on line and the plastic is a little more premium than base so it doesn't get much damage if it hits a tree. You can use anything you feel comfortable with. I know a few pretty solid putters that use premium plastic but there's a reason the best putters in the world use baseline. It has perfect grip but still slides right out of your hand on target.

How can they be if Innova's aren't? ;)

LOL. Its not that they aren't but, you know, different blends and all.
I like DT, it feels more like the older DX that was around in the 90s, though some folks have said they have gotten some chipping that they didn't expect.
Of course, its baseline, so it ought to be cheap...

Kastaplast K3 is the only plastic that has a baseline feel, but really holds up over time and wears in, and seems worth the extra cost.

Well, I guess Gateway has some as well, but damn if you can find two discs alike.
Fossil via RDG would be the best option you go that route, imo.

LOL. Its not that they aren't but, you know, different blends and all.
I like DT, it feels more like the older DX that was around in the 90s, though some folks have said they have gotten some chipping that they didn't expect.
Of course, its baseline, so it ought to be cheap...

Kastaplast K3 is the only plastic that has a baseline feel, but really holds up over time and wears in, and seems worth the extra cost.

Well, I guess Gateway has some as well, but damn if you can find two discs alike.
Fossil via RDG would be the best option you go that route, imo.

I know what you mean, I actually like KC Pro and XT, but of course they're not truly cheap base plastic. Gateway S variations are good, but yeah what they call soft or super soft is all over the place in feel.

The biggest issue is finding a putter one likes with a plastic one likes. Aviars don't come in Jawbreaker plastic, and Challengers don't come in Trilogy Classic/Zero Hard plastic. So find what works best for you and in what plastic works best for you...

I putt with a Proton Envy and Proton Proxy. I mostly push putt so grip isn't really an issue. I like that they are nice and stiff. I very rarely get chain outs.

I love classic hard plastic for putting and I love Rhynos. Thank you lat 64 for making the Caltrop.

I'm sorry but on dry days I use a Luster P2 though on wet days it's either my JK Aviar or R-Pro Rhyno, though I'm thinking about picking up a P or X line P2 (whichever is firmer as I prefer a firm plastic when the putter is beadless and a softer putter when it's a beaded putter). I would really like a P2x but that has yet to happen.

From what I've read on these boards and elsewhere, many prefer baseline plastics to premium because of grip, and because putting is hard even on the premium plastics, so cost may be an issue.

Yeah, that was one of my concerns - how hard putting is even on premium plastics. If they're going to get beat up by the chains, too, then I'll save the money and stick with the baseline or maybe move up to XT or X-line.

Any plastic works fine. I like to throw my putter off the tee/approach etc and not worry about it changing flight so i use a premium plastic.

I can grab any of my many ions and just go play. No real "putting putter" in that sense. My beat neutron ions still fly OS but feel like baseline with the gloss worn off. Win! I have ions are are years old and get thrown around a garage with sharp stuff all over. The baseline versions do not survive long lol.

I prefer softer grippy plastic.
The argument has be made that a premium type plastic putter will penetrate (slide into) the outside row of chains easier.

Having used everything from soft pancakes to hard dinner plates they all have pros and cons when it comes to sticking putts. Also some work better for different putting styles vs others.

Latest posts