• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Vintage Plastic Throwers Club

Lurp Nuts

* Ace Member *
I've been thinking about making this thread for a while. Here's a spot for people to share stories and wax poetic about their favorite old discs. Maybe you found a gem in a used bin and you can't imagine leaving home without it, or maybe you've been playing for decades and that fugly old putter just keeps working. Whatever it is, there's a reason you keep it around.

Please keep in mind, this is meant to be for constant rotation bag warriors only. No wall hangers, bought used and never thrown closet queens, blue moon or holiday discs allowed.

As an aside, but probably important to the conversation, what do you consider to be vintage? 10 years? 20? Pre-premium plastic only? I'll withhold my opinion for now.

Attachments

• pics.jpg
    pics.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 56
I'll start with two of my favorites.

A pair of Eagle Ls in that old opaque champ plastic. They are hands down my favorite woods forehand discs. One pretty beat up, one newish that I slid in for stability last year.

And two Multi-Purpose KC Rocs. Both hyzer-flip tunnel driving machines. I have over a dozen from this run, but as you can see, these are the favorites. Shout out to El-Nino for hooking me up with these back in like 2013.

I'd like to call these vintage, but they aren't even 11x. Do they count?

Attachments

• E627902F-8AC8-4D3C-A50B-AEB716E7F4A0.jpg
    E627902F-8AC8-4D3C-A50B-AEB716E7F4A0.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 51
  • 6F1009E2-3D56-4858-8F9E-A035CD569994.jpg
    6F1009E2-3D56-4858-8F9E-A035CD569994.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 50
I'd say the multi-purpose rocs are vintage.

I don't really have much that I'd consider vintage anymore, I try to throw stuff I can get at retail. Once 11x Circle stamp KC Pro Teebirds started to go over $40 I got out of that market.

I have some predators and comets from the mid/late 00s but I don't really consider those vintage

I'd say OOO molds older than 2012 are vintage-ish. IIRC, that was the year Lat64, Prodigy, and Legacy started making their own discs.

I carry Whippets in premium plastic (CFRs mostly) and just didn't throw them on water holes. I hit two aces last summer with each one I have left but one of them got a huge gash from the nub on its way over the cage on a skip. One was from 07 and the other was probably a year or two later. Sometimes I also pull out an old CFR star Cobra from 06-ish for shorter courses.

Sorry no pics :(

I'd say OOO molds older than 2012 are vintage-ish. IIRC, that was the year Lat64, Prodigy, and Legacy started making their own discs.

I carry Whippets in premium plastic (CFRs mostly) and just didn't throw them on water holes. I hit two aces last summer with each one I have left but one of them got a huge gash from the nub on its way over the cage on a skip. One was from 07 and the other was probably a year or two later. Sometimes I also pull out an old CFR star Cobra from 06-ish for shorter courses.

Sorry no pics :(

Get off my lawn with those new mold whippets. :D;)

Old mold whippets FTW!

I love finding old plastic and using it, and I have a lot of OOP stuff.
After shuffling between g-line md3's, sharks, roc3, and shark3. My main mid is the Cro these days. Shuffle between a first run for cold season, and a PFN for the warmer months,

I bag a beat to snot circle stamp polecat usually. I also bag a pair of 09 wizards and sometimes a proto wizard.

L64 started making discs well before 2012. I have an opto Striker I got an ace with in 2009.

Edit:. Their first approvals were in 2006

Last edited:
picture.php

Where does this fit in? Haha. A recent star reproduction of an OOP Scorpion? Ive got some DX ones..
picture.php

But I only throw them when it's warm out... I love reliving the my first 5 years of disc golf.. One disc, no putter.

The only one that I have that would probably be considered vintage is the Tachyon 4.1 LF I used to throw a ton. Got it at a Detroit area PIAS in about 2014 for $4 and it was a staple for me until the Justice came out.

I also have a ton of like 10 year old discs like the OG stamp Kings and such but I don't think they count as vintage.

The only one that I have that would probably be considered vintage is the Tachyon 4.1 LF I used to throw a ton. Got it at a Detroit area PIAS in about 2014 for $4 and it was a staple for me until the Justice came out.

I also have a ton of like 10 year old discs like the OG stamp Kings and such but I don't think they count as vintage.

That's where I'm at. Most of my bag is 10+ years old, and if I want duplicates, it's off to ebay or collectors groups to pay "vintage" prices.

The disc golf world is moving fast, so even stuff made a couple years ago has started to feel dated (Innova with McBeth's name on it, 10 Year Buzzz's being 10 years old...). One thing I consider criteria for a type of "vintage" is a stamp change. That's obviously playing semantics, but they will make a disc feel older and cooler for sure.

L64 started making discs well before 2012. I have an opto Striker I got an ace with in 2009.

Edit:. Their first approvals were in 2006

Sweet that you got them earlier than the entire state of South Carolina. :hfive:

I had to drive from Greenville to Charlotte to buy a box of them from Mike at Sun King. He was in town running a few events and brought a ton of plastic. A few days earlier he was in Columbia and David Sauls had already bought some, so technically he was the first retailer in the state to carry them.

A few years ago I got a 162g S-Line FD x-out off the Marketplace (from Monocacy, if I remember right), and I don't think it's left my bag since. I don't throw it much (I usually go from mids straight to 9-speeds), but it's too straight and glidey not to bag. It can't be much more than 10 years old max, but as an Innova-molded Discmania disc in an impossible-to-find weight it feels vintage to me.

I currently bag a couple two line AJ Destroyers, a 2015 Sexton Firebird (because I'm dumb and have been throwing it for years), a PFN Champion Banshee and a 2008 Feldberg Champion Boss.

Nothing ancient.

I have a flat top DX glow Roc in the bag that I bought around 2008. It was my first (and only) 2 color dye. An axe with dark grey for the head and brown for the handle. Lost it almost 10 years ago and had a buddy spot it and bring it back to me 2 years ago. It kind of overlaps with the main Roc3 that was in my bag when the axe disc reappeared, but I love that disc and want to throw it.

My wife only uses 3 or 4 discs. One of which is an opaque, orange, 11x Teebird that she got within the first year we were playing. She throws it LHFH for approaches. Always hunting for chains and darnn the consequences.

Is the disc OOP? Has the stamp changed a handful of times since you bought it? Is the company something completely different, or just no longer exists at all? These are all things that I would factor in when calling something vintage. I'll admit that most of my stuff is only low-key old, so, who has the good stuff? Come on, this isn't Reddit, I know you all have the juice.

This isn't guitars or synthesizers, there's no gatekeeping collectors telling you that if it wasn't made in Fullerton, pre-'64 its worthless junk. Let your freak flag fly.

Here's another pair (a theme of mine) of first run PDs. One beat up, and one still pretty beat up, just with more stability. Open course killers. Blue Lake hole 2? Forehand over OB and you know it's coming back to the basket. Eat your heart out, Ricky.

Attachments

• 102F0D59-AC79-4D98-A28A-778C3D45355F.jpg
    102F0D59-AC79-4D98-A28A-778C3D45355F.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 37
With the discs being considered here, I also bag 4 point preds still. Skinny tooled Buzzz until the Iguana came out. Evo Spirit from around 07. I also bag walled lake tooled Z Comet sometimes, or Saturn stamped TP when in the mountains.

Just about done selling my 11x teebirds as well.

It's kinda funny, "vintage" is a moving target.

When we finally got a course here and started a league in 2010 this Cyclone was in my bag:

picture.php

People used to be really amazed by it and how I had something that old in my bag. The disc was 12 years old at that point. Anything that had the Innova bar stamp at that point was considered "vintage" and the swoosh stamp had only been in use for seven years. Circle stamp stuff in your bag? I mean you were a walking fossil.

Now I walk around with this guy:

picture.php

It's a 2008 Walled Lake Z Comet. It's going to hit 15 years old this fall. The Z stamp is still basically this stamp, though. It doesn't jump out as 15 years old. Nobody is ever going to notice it. I don't consider it "vintage"; it's just a trusty Z Comet.

^I had a cactus cyclone like that in the bag until my son put it in one of the ponds on Highbridge Blueberry 2 years ago.

Re: the comet, I haven't thrown much Discraft recently and I still think of that as the new Z stamp. Funny that it's been around since at least 2008.

Latest posts