• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why I switched from Wizards to Ions (long post warning)

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I "made a name" for myself throwing Wizards. I had a long history with Wizards, buying my first one, an orange Supersoft, from Jay at Just Disc Golf a little over 2 years ago. I stubbornly came around to admitting it was a better putter than my Rhyno, then later on figured out how to drive them without turning them over. 2 years later I could toss that same Wizard 350' on command (Thanks DGR!). I putted with the 1 same wizard for a year I believe (166g organic proto worn), and have all but one of my aces with Wizards (6 or 7?). I owned over 30 Wizards at my peak. It became a joke on my local course for people to ask stuff like "What was that, a midrange?" when I threw 420' drives.

So it was surprising to some people when I showed up to the course with no Wizards in my bag. I still think the Wizard is one of the finest discs I've thrown, and would never try to talk someone out of throwing them. But I do know that I've found a disc that for me, works better. That disc is the Ion and these are the reasons why it's in my bag. Though to be fair, I've only thrown the Ions for about a month now, and haven't touched a Wizard since I switched, so maybe putting with a Wizard would feel different to me now (For better or worse) since changing my technique a little.

I tried out Ions twice in the past and wasn't impressed either time. This was the slot in my bag that had changed least since I started and I was happy with Wizards. I was not in the market for a replacement. The only reason I became interested in the Ion is I saw one in someone's bag and on a whim asked to drive with it on a 435' open hole at my home course. I drove with two of his and got the first one out to about 380' and the next one 10-15' further and they did not travel left to right more than 5' the entire flight, and these were throws that I knew would of gone 360' tops with my driving Wizard.

Disc Feel

Both molds are very comfortable to me, but comparing them side to side feels like comparing old technology vs new. It feels like comparing a 94 accord to a 99 accord....either can get the job done but the latter is a more refined, comfortable ride.

Overall they have extremely similar edge profiles, with the main difference being the Ion has a slightly smaller bead. Also if you look at the top cm of the Ion's overmold and where it goes up into the Proton plastic that area looks flatter than the Wizard. It's a very minor difference but it might account for some of the flight differences.

The biggest difference is on the inside. Rounded inner rim VS non-rounded. I didn't like the rounded rim at first and felt like the disc would want to tilt in my hand up and down some (think more or less hyzer angle). After using it though I wouldn't want to go back to the Wizard rim, which now feels odd in a driving grip to me. The Ion took some getting used to but in the end I feel it was worth it. It's a much more comfortable disc for me overall.

Putting

Putting is the most important part of golf, and one where some players tend to be very picky about the disc they use. Doesn't matter how many 60-100' jump putts my friend sinks with his yeti pro...he doesn't seem to plan on giving up his nearly beadless 11x Aviar for circle duties anytime soon. My putting putter was a 166g Organic proto...velvety, grippy feel without much flight plate flex. I never drove with it, and never putted with anything else. I replaced my putting putter with a 171g Soft Ion, one of the newer runs with a hotstamp and no texture or tooling on the bottom.

The first two times I tried the Ion I felt they were too slick and bouncy to ever be a putting putter, and viewed them only as a possible driving and approach addition to my bag. This time it's the opposite, the putting performance is my main motivation for switching to them. The overmold grabs chains incredibly well and I'm amazed I didn't see that the last time I tried them. Also, putting with the Soft Proton plastic I've noticed the putter doesn't have as many issues with sticking to my hand late on the release like my grippy putting Wizards sometimes would do.

But the main difference is their flight during a putt. For my initial Ion testing I purchased a 175g S Ion and threw it on drives, approaches and putts, against a 3 combo of Wizards (166g putting Wizard, 171g Evo driver, beat SS 175g driver). The very first thing I noticed was my 175g Ion was gliding better than my 166g Wizard....but not every time. Then I remembered what I read about Ions liking spin on putts, and literally as soon as I implemented a little extra finger snap into my putts then Ions were cruising perfectly for me. It was a minor adjustment but one that was completely necessary for me to see the Ions potential as a putter.

So extra glide aside, the second thing that sealed it for me with putts were how straight they flew. I had been gradually going from a more hyzer stlye lob to a straight "laser" style putt. The Wizard wants to fade more than the Ion does and I was fighting this with my putts. I was putting harder than I should to fight the stability of the disc which threw my putts off. The Ion I don't have to do this. Again it's a pretty minor sounding thing but it makes a big difference in putting consistency. Whether I'm 20' out or 100' out I can trust the Ion to just go straight at the basket for me, which is what I do on a putt 100% of the time if the route is open. On hyzer and anhyzer putts they perform well too. They hold an anhyzer more easily than the Wizard, which equals more finesse and less muscle on an anhyzer putt, which is exactly what you want. On hyzer jump putts (That's how I jump putt from 80'-110', reduces the come-back putt length) they've performed well and have never flipped flat on me, even in moderate headwinds. I flirted with the Magic as a putting putter for a month or two because it fit my style better, but it wouldn't hold it's line in headwinds like the Ion and felt a little flippy, where the Ion doesn't, it's just straight.

Driving and Approaching

The biggest differences for me initially were the grip and the glide. The grip, as I discussed, took getting used to but in the end I strongly prefer it to the grip of any other putter, especially in a driving grip where the rounded inner rim comes into play for me (My fingers fan out on a putting grip).

The glide also took adjustment, because the Ions were getting more distance with less effort. I had to throw with more hyzer, less height or less power on some of the short holes at my home course (250', 220', 260' etc.).

The exciting part was throwing them on long, open holes. My home course has plenty that are in the 350-450' range with high ceilings perfect for putter bombs. I parked a 355' hole (Plays a few feet longer due to slight hill) I had only gotten two or three times with my Wizard. Then I parked a 365' hole I had never reached with my Wizard during a round (Had tried a lot), then overthrew it by about 20' a few days later! Ions benefit from spins on drives just as much as putts, but this didn't require any adjustment as I already generated lots of spin on my drives.

I noticed a lot of interesting things about the Ion. It goes further than my Wizard did, glides longer and fades a little more subtly, all the characteristics you'd expect from a more understable mold, right? Well the thing that blew me away is it honestly doesn't feel any less high speed stable to me when I throw it. Again I am throwing Wizards and Ions in the 330'-370' range consistently and on golf lines, and at those distances the Ion does not feel any more prone to flipping than my evo driving Wizards while retaining all the positive characteristics of a more understable mold. This is true not only on a 350' power drive but also on a 40' putt. The Ion is straight. It is not flippy, not at all. It will hold an anhyzer, but it will not unexpectedly turn over on you. This is the main reason the Ion is such an exceptional disc.

One last thing to mention regarding driving the Ion. More than one Ion exist. The older runs with textured bottoms and partially obscured beads are hyzer flippers for me, meaning on a max D line I throw them with hyzer, they flip flat and maybe drift right 1-5', then land moving pretty straight, maybe a bit of fade. The ones I'm using now and referring to for this entire post (Except the beginning where I talk about the 2 drives I threw with my friends Ions, those were old runs) are new runs with hot stamps, no bottom texture or tooling and an even bead. These are not hyzer flippers for me, I throw these close to flat on a distance line and they go straight then fade predictably, but not quite as hard as say a Wizard fades. I made the decision to go with nothing but newer runs for the time being because I didn't want to try and get used to two runs of a new mold and **** up my consistency. I might add textured Ions to my bag later if I feel they'd serve a use.

Availability etc.

One more point then I'm done.

For some this is a big deal but for me it was an afterthought. Yeah, I had my one driving Wizard and putting Wizard I preferred and never did find any others exactly like them (Flat FLX Evo Wizard factory 2nds that glide, anyone?), but this wasn't going to keep me from throwing Wizards.

But I have to say it's nice knowing that if I lost my putting putter, I can order a 171g S Ion and putt with it when I get it. No break in needed, no special run needed, just get the disc and use it. If I lose my driving putter, I can order a 175g S Ion and use it right away. I don't have to hunt down a rare blend of Evo Wizards, and I don't have to throw them for 6 months before they glide how I want. Again it's not what made me switch but it sure is hell nice to know that if I somehow lose one it is easily replaceable.

The Ion is the to the Wizard what the Wizard was to the KC Aviar when it came out. Through it's convex wing to it's flightplate that gets thicker toward the edges, the Wizard flies better because it's more gyroscopic than the Aviar. The Ion extends that idea in a more radical way, and the results are that it flies much better than the Wizard, which flies better than the KC Aviar.

The MVP guys and myself feel that their gyroscopically weighted discs are the biggest breakthrough in golf discs since the beveled edge. It is of that scope because it is a breakthrough that can be interpreted into any design and simply make it better. It will allow them to continue to design the truest flying neutral discs ever made, and also allow them to use more traditionally overstable designs and get more versatility out of them. This point is definitely debatable at this point as I know their are probably more skeptics than believers, but in 5 years when MVP has a whole lineup of discs I think it will become undeniable.

Eh, when the Ion came out I heard it was going to be the best thing since sliced bread and got some. They were too soft for my taste, pretty slick in my hand and the beads were messed up. So I just kept throwing Wizards. Later when I was unhappy with the Wizard I picked up some Medium Ions. I heard the bead thing was fixed and the Mediums would fix the "too soft" problem, so I gave them another chance. The Ions I got had a textured bottom that I hated. So now that's supposed to be fixed and now they are the best thing since sliced bread again.

Whatever. I got some Yeti's and they were exactly what I expected the first time. MVP already has my money for a bunch of putters sitting in my basement. I know all of the "it's a start-up, you have to expect it" excuses, it's still money on the shelf.

Just thought I throw that into the MVP lovefest.

Working Stiff said:
Eh, when the Ion came out I heard it was going to be the best thing since sliced bread and got some. They were too soft for my taste, pretty slick in my hand and the beads were messed up. So I just kept throwing Wizards. Later when I was unhappy with the Wizard I picked up some Medium Ions. I heard the bead thing was fixed and the Mediums would fix the "too soft" problem, so I gave them another chance. The Ions I got had a textured bottom that I hated. So now that's supposed to be fixed and now they are the best thing since sliced bread again.

Whatever. I got some Yeti's and they were exactly what I expected the first time. MVP already has my money for a bunch of putters sitting in my basement. I know all of the "it's a start-up, you have to expect it" excuses, it's still money on the shelf.

Just thought I throw that into the MVP lovefest.

There is at least one person around these parts who likes the old ones much better than the new, so maybe you could negotiate a trade? :mrgreen: There's still a lot to like about the ones you didn't like, and the new ones are how they are going to be from now on. Be skeptical for a while...Once you get the chance to feel one in person you may change your mind.

I've thrown a couple before. I hate the way they putt, and not too keen on the way they feel. Cool looking discs though.

lowracks said:
discspeed said:
lowracks said:
I hate the way they putt

What did you hate about them?

They seemed to drop really fast. Also, they are slick and I have trouble gripping them.

That makes sense. When I'm at the store and someone is interested in the Ion I usually recommend they go 3-5 grams lighter than their preferred weight. This is because all the weight in the overmold makes the Ion feel heavier than it is when you throw it.

I'm sure if I gave them more of a chance I would start to figure it out. I might have to check a lighter one out sometime.

what do you guys do when its cold or wet or both? That might be the only thing stopping me from throwing the Ion is the issue of grip in colder weather and wet weather for putting.

not a problem... soft Ions for cold, and a chamois for when it's wet. If my discs/fingers are wet, I'm struggling no matter the plastic, base plastic is just a false comfort IMO.

lowracks said:
I've thrown a couple before. I hate the way they putt, and not too keen on the way they feel. Cool looking discs though.

Word. They also suck in cold weather imo which is like a third of the year here. They also don't seem to dry off when they are wet.

rusch_bag said:
They also don't seem to dry off when they are wet.

I don't know what you are talking about. I've not missed a single shot in 2 years because my Ion "wouldn't dry off when wet". I use a microfiber towel and it works 100% of the time. When I hear statements like this I wonder if there are people out there who just pick their disc up out of dewey grass and throw them wet. I can't do that with any plastic.

If you are talking about certain situations, usually between winter and another season, when water literally starts condensing on the disc as soon as you wipe it off, then this happens equally across all plastics in my experience.

Roc Lover said:
what do you guys do when its cold or wet or both? That might be the only thing stopping me from throwing the Ion is the issue of grip in colder weather and wet weather for putting.

I play in a lot of rain, especially this time of year (it thunderstormed for 3 hours at my house today). I can't stand ANY water on the top of my disc, so I've come up with some good strategies. In particular with my Ions for putting I approach my lie with my disc completely inside of a microfiber towel. As I get set up I keep the towel draped over the top of the disc, and I leave it there as I "paint the pole" and go through my other pre shot rituals. Right when I'm ready to fire I pull the towel off with my left hand and putt. It works great.

discspeed said:
rusch_bag said:
They also don't seem to dry off when they are wet.

I don't know what you are talking about. I've not missed a single shot in 2 years because my Ion "wouldn't dry off when wet". I use a microfiber towel and it works 100% of the time. When I hear statements like this I wonder if there are people out there who just pick their disc up out of dewey grass and throw them wet. I can't do that with any plastic.

If you are talking about certain situations, usually between winter and another season, when water literally starts condensing on the disc as soon as you wipe it off, then this happens equally across all plastics in my experience.
they do dry just fine with a micro fiber but with a standard towel or the popular wipe with your shirt method they are pretty fuckin tough to get dry......more so than many premium plastics or any base plastic

Beeswax is so tacky that even if there's water on it it usually is grippy enough. When there's only a little left things get dicey.

Jesse B 707 said:
they do dry just fine with a micro fiber but with a standard towel or the popular wipe with your shirt method they are pretty fuckin tough to get dry......more so than many premium plastics or any base plastic

I've been microfiber exclusive for years, so perhaps that's why I've had no issues...I have done a lot of dewey putting in the backyard though and the older Ions(my proto mediums in particular) were impossible to putt with when moist for me. At my handicap last sat. I was using my clear ones and I did notice that I could actually putt those without wiping the couple of dew drops off the flight plate. I've also played in the rain a couple times with the new ones and I'd say the grip is definitely enhanced...Nowhere near baseline, but better than a lot of other clear plastics and the older Ions.

Me and the Ion don't get along in the wet weather and it's not the grip. My issues came from wet chains and the wet overmold (when it's raining/snowing, it's gonna get wet no matter how much you keep it dry in your hand). I had a lot of putts that would hit solid and then slide through the wet chains. Just happened way too much for my liking where the same putt with a Wizard or Magnet would hit chains and drop. Was kind of hoping the overmold could be made in a grippier material. (visions of a premium core with Pro D/DX overmold but I'm sure that could get into the consistency thing). So back to base plastic for putters into the chains. I still love it for driving and will continue to build a stack of them. Maybe eventually the overmold will break in.

Latest posts