• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why I switched from Wizards to Ions (long post warning)

dvlcek said:
Me and the Ion don't get along in the wet weather and it's not the grip. My issues came from wet chains and the wet overmold (when it's raining/snowing, it's gonna get wet no matter how much you keep it dry in your hand). I had a lot of putts that would hit solid and then slide through the wet chains. Just happened way too much for my liking where the same putt with a Wizard or Magnet would hit chains and drop. Was kind of hoping the overmold could be made in a grippier material. (visions of a premium core with Pro D/DX overmold but I'm sure that could get into the consistency thing). So back to base plastic for putters into the chains. I still love it for driving and will continue to build a stack of them. Maybe eventually the overmold will break in.

I putt on rusty chains in my backyard and this roughs up the overmold for sure...I've never really thought about this issue, but now that you mention it I've always felt like brand new Ions spit out for me a bit more than my broken in ones. I just though this was something what I was doing, but maybe it has a little to do with the overmold being new and smooth. In terms of using two different plastics in an Ion...They have to be the same to have a strong chemical bond.

Mike C said:
Fightingthetide said:
Anyone seen this yet? (from the MVP FB page)

http://youtu.be/xZWTGSy_EC4

Anyone seen this yet? :D

You should post that to MVP's Facebook page to go along with the other one(if you have a FB account...).

I'm about to move out there and become your disciple... and now i really have to try out the ion.

kudos on another amazing video, you always have stellar soundtracks. you should create a, "how to make a soundtrack to disc golf thread." it really fits the landscape of the course. i think you had emancipator to one of your wizard/roc vids right?

discspeed said:
You should post that to MVP's Facebook page to go along with the other one(if you have a FB account...).

I don't, I'll PM chad a link tho

new013 said:
...you always have stellar soundtracks. you should create a, "how to make a soundtrack to disc golf thread." it really fits the landscape of the course. i think you had emancipator to one of your wizard/roc vids right?

Hahah thanks. Here's the bands I've used.

Portage Lakes - Six Organs Of Admittance - Saint Cloud
Arb B Pins - Umphey's McGee - Blue Echo
Wildwood - Bonobo - D Song and Something For Windy
Roc & Wizard @ Arb - Dj Spooky - ? (Search youtube and it's the 9 minute live performance)

For my older wiz videos I had a Six Organs Of admittance song, Squarepusher and Amon Tobin.

I keep having to talk myself out of trying these again. KC Pro Aviars work just fine. KC Pro Aviars work just fine. KC Pro Aviars work just fine.

Well I for one appreciate all the people switching from wizards to ions/kc aviars/whatever. You guys are setting me up for a serious supply of good throwers :)

i used to throw all 3. Ion, Wizard, KCpro Aviar.

i still feel more comfortable putting with the aviar, but since getting better with that Ion it has knocked the wizard out of my bag for the long putt/approach/drive slot i had been using the wizard for.

I hit the wall in the middle of a round the other day. My mechanics were shit and I was putting high just sailing my ridges over the top of the basket. I decided that I'd bag the ridges and just use the Ion for putting, approaching and driving. At first, I had a lot of slip outs resulting in nose down releases on putts. Once I kind of figured that out, I was banging putts. I had to find the right combo of spin and pitching and when I did things started clicking. Just knowing that every putt was going to be an adventure really brightened up my round.

At first, I didn't like the Ion for approaching. It was so sensitive to spin, but once I dialed that in, it started clicking. It really isn't a hard disc to learn. Prior to retrying the Ion I had been using spikes as approach discs and was never confident in how it was going to respond to release angles and conditions. I had a hard time with down hill approaches with the Ion, it just glides so much more than a putter should. Otherwise, I couldn't really find a fault with it.

Driving is a different story. I have a hard time getting enough snap to really get it moving. Sometimes I think in an effort to get it up to speed I get a little OATy, but the Ion is HSS enough to almost mask it. Of course, now that I have an Axis, I'll just power down on that if I'm worried about the Ion not getting there.

How do the new softs compare to mediums in putting, approaching and driving?

rooneytunes said:

The new softs are pretty similar to the mediums in stability, though I think they have slightly less HSS and a faster fade. I also think the softs are a bit faster, and likewise need a bit more spin. The softs do not fly as well with the nose up as the mediums...They tend to lift and fade, and this is apparent on both putts and drives. On full power throws my softs get more D than the mediums, and they will also hold sharper hyzers and anhyzers if I exaggerate my angles of release. The mediums always fly a bit more forward dominant.

Thanks that's all I needed to know. I prefer the feel of the mediums so now I can just stick with 'em.

discspeed said:
rooneytunes said:
The new softs are pretty similar to the mediums in stability, though I think they have slightly less HSS and a faster fade. I also think the softs are a bit faster, and likewise need a bit more spin.
I've found this to be pretty true with all of my IONs from all the different runs I have.

Additionally, for me the softs seem to be a bit more OAT resistant. Perhaps the softer plastic absorbs OAT better, like an SG-MD1 is way less susceptible to OAT than an S-MD1, despite not being as overstable.

So I just received my two DGR Ion's. Both medium one at 174 and one at 170. First of all I must say they look frickin amazing. Really cool

After all the hype, I was anxious to try them out. Even in this thread Discspeed touts that "they are much better than wizards". So ya cool story, but I dont see it anywhere. Granted I only got to throw them on full shots today, and I "only" got in 20 throws at most with them. While throwing them against an assortment of Wizards and a lone VP.

I was hitting them well and threw them all between 330-360, and all I can say so far, is that I dont see it. Sure its a joy to throw, and I was pleasantly surprised that it wasnt as long as a Spike. (Since I dont like the tweener putters, I like to have a clear distinction between my putters and my mids), but my Wizards flew very nice as well.

So to make a short story short. Nice disc, and Im happy that I can support DGR and Blake this way. But if you believe this disc will get you lower scores (if you already throw Wizards or KC's), all else staying the same, you will be disappointed. Unless the pure belief that this is the hottest thing since sliced bread, gives you more confidence and hence better results. But flightwise I dont see the big win.

This might all sound like I dont like it, which is not true. Its a very nice driving putter, but the difference to the (Wizards/KC) putters is marginal at best.

The difference between the best Wizards (or at least the ones that are most ION-like) might not be that great, but you have to remember how hard it is to find a Wizard that flies that good, and how long it'll stay that way.

I too went from Wizards to IONs last year. The IONs I've thrown have flown straighter, holding anhyzers and hyzer lines better than my Wizards, while also gliding more. My Wizards also beat in noticeably in a matter of weeks, and after a few months they started to develop a noticeable turn on drives. The beads in particular were prone to losing chunks. Out of my IONs the only ones that have really changed at all are the ones that I practice with. The sharp edges of my DIY basket eat them up, and I dare not throw my bagged IONs at it.

Even if the flight was identical, or even a bit worse, I'd still go with the ION. The difference in consistency and durability is just too great to ignore.

Latest posts