• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Vintage Plastic Throwers Club

I was looking through my old discs the other day wondering if MVP's earlier stuff is considered vintage at this point? I know compared to the OG companies they're still quite young, but my first run Axis and first run Vectors and opaque soft proton Ions all feel vintage to me at this point.

Oddity: I cycle the putters in my bag, but in our winter putting league you have to make the same putt three times in a row i.e. if you need a soft turnover line that's cool with your beat putter but eventually you are forcing your newer, more OS putter over on a soft turnover line. I decided I wanted some workable putters and went down to the basement...Hello, Aviar PandA my old friend. I've come to talk with you again. :\ They are such nice putters, and it's hard to remember why I quit using them (it will come back to me I'm sure). They are currently in the bag; not sure how long they will stay.

picture.php

Of course if you put small bead putters in, you need some big bead backup. The wind blows and stuff happens, you know?

picture.php

Essentially it's my 1999-2005 putters. I'm fairly sure they are a temporary cure for a terminal condition; I'll get tired of missing putts with them and move on like they somehow are the problem. :p

Anyway they legit were in my bag before this thread started so they are fair game. :p

The other oddity is that I go back and forth between a bag and a cart; long story but the cart is kinda inaccessible right now (home remodeling and it was in the way so it's in storage until we are done. Gee, it wasn't so long after all. :| ) so it took a bit to get around to checking it. The ESP Cyclone and 5X JK Valk are in the cart but I already posted pictures of them. The other old discs in the cart is an EXP1 of undetermined age, probably mid 00's?

picture.php

It used to have some dome but now it's flat. The plastic is breaking down and it feels gross. I use it for grenades and dumb little flick shots (spoiler: I can't flick) when I have no other option. I decided six or seven years ago that I was going to keep throwing it until I broke it, and it hasn't broken so there it is.

I had high hopes that I had some ancient old Roc in the cart, but sadly the oldest Roc I was bagging before the cart got stored was this DGR ZamRoc:

picture.php

Not vintage, but a classic anyway. :p

I bag 2 Ontario Rhynos, a Pro and a Pro Line. Also an 11x Champ Teebird. And a Vibram Lace.

There's a bag full of circle stamps around here somewhere as well...

I swear yellow Soft X APX fly better than any other Soft X APX. I've got basically a matched set to those, but I don't throw APX anymore. My youngest has one of them in her bag now; I keep trying to get her to switch to the Jawbreaker APX so she won't take one of my Yellow Soft X's when she grows up and moves out.

What's interesting to me is how different the two of mine are. The bright yellow saw putting duty, and is very much what you'd expect from a soft blend. It was a neutral to flippy one. The pale yellow is much firmer, slicker, and overstable enough that it got driving duty. I could do, in two discs, what it takes me 4 fierces to do...

Also still in the bag:

I have an exact replica of this one plus one of the flat white ones from the first run of ESP Cyclones. I've got two later ones and one of the Ledgestone ones they ran a couple of years ago. Given that I'm still throwing my first one, I've got more than an lifetime supply of ESP Cyclones.

My favorites were Orange with purple stamps. I also had a sky blue one with a white stamp that was domey and so glidey. My flatter ones Were stable but broke in to have a bit of HST, the Domey ones were flippy from the start but just loved gliding right.

Did someone say old Comets?

I need to get a photo of my favorite old Z. I still have at least one Saturn stamp around too. I tend to be nostalgic for discs but if I don't plan on throwing them I move em on to someone who will. Its a bad combo cause I remember cool stuff I used to have all the time.

oh, and the Pink Z is a 2008 Walled Lake tooling production run. the yellow LE ESP doesn't have any tooling (2nd run?)

Yeah the no-tooling LE ESPs were second run. I lost all my first run ones. The second run one I bag is the last of the LE ESP Comets I still own.

My bag is almost all "vintage", because those are the discs that I have backups for and I bought most of them when they were released.

PFN Aviars
PFN Champ Rhyno
PFN Star Coyote
PFN KC Rocs
PFN Star Leopard
11x Eagle L
11x Teebird
PFN Star Firebird
PFN Star Roadrunner
PFN Barry Beast
PFN Star Wraiths and AJ Destroyers.

Nothing ancient.

I have a flat top DX glow Roc in the bag that I bought around 2008. It was my first (and only) 2 color dye. An axe with dark grey for the head and brown for the handle. Lost it almost 10 years ago and had a buddy spot it and bring it back to me 2 years ago. It kind of overlaps with the main Roc3 that was in my bag when the axe disc reappeared, but I love that disc and want to throw it.

My wife only uses 3 or 4 discs. One of which is an opaque, orange, 11x Teebird that she got within the first year we were playing. She throws it LHFH for approaches. Always hunting for chains and darnn the consequences.

Here's the dyed glow roc and the roc3 that was holding down the seasoned roc slot in its absence. [rotate screen to view correctly]

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20230323_201725.jpg
    20230323_201725.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 89
Ok so I went through my box of really old stuff in storage and found some vintage gems

That first run of P2 Pro were so $$. I got such a good offer on mine I had to take it, never thought they'd be worth much back then.

Yeah the no-tooling LE ESPs were second run. I lost all my first run ones. The second run one I bag is the last of the LE ESP Comets I still own.

Hey thanks! I didn't know that.... DGCR and I thought my LE ESP was second run but it turns out it's a first. Happy friday to me. I guess it's no different, it still flies the same :)

Wow, I'd nearly forgotten about those USDGC Roc3s. Did you get that one from me? Fun discs, but I was never able to transition to the 3 mold in base plastic.

I got a set of 3 of them from somebody on here. I want to say it was streets, but it was quite a while ago. Lost the one with the red stamp in a fast running creek in Peoria, but I've got a fresh one waiting in the wings.

Comparing the edge profiles, I can't spot a difference between the roc3 and the old glow roc. The glow roc didn't start out board flat, but I used very hot dye to get it to take on base plastic and that seems to have flattened it. I'd been using it for years like that, so it was a smooth transition to the roc3.

I have the pictured yellow twin brother in my bag right now. Been milking as much life out of that one as possible, it's been in and out of the bag quite often over the last 10 years. Have never thrown the one that's pictured!

I ditched my LE Esps when the production ESPs came out. I was only bagging Z at the time, and the idea they would be more available I figured I would pass on the LEs to someone who preferred them. I did not know what ESP comets would become. Swirly MJ runs are beefy! (for a comet) I think my Iguana has a touch more turn and a touch more fade than a typical MJ comet from the last batch or two.

Hey thanks! I didn't know that.... DGCR and I thought my LE ESP was second run but it turns out it's a first. Happy friday to me. I guess it's no different, it still flies the same :)

Yeah the only differences in flight between the LE ESP Comets was the flat ones were super flippy, and the domey ones were more neutral.

I ditched my LE Esps when the production ESPs came out. I was only bagging Z at the time, and the idea they would be more available I figured I would pass on the LEs to someone who preferred them. I did not know what ESP comets would become. Swirly MJ runs are beefy! (for a comet) I think my Iguana has a touch more turn and a touch more fade than a typical MJ comet from the last batch or two.

Yeah I'm a little surprised by the MJ swirl one I've got. It's going to beat in nice, but it's just...pretty darn straight right now, and not much else. Throw it on a crazy sky anny, and if I don't get the nose angle juuuuust right, it stalls out and falls straight down...