• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting: Soft or Firm Plastic?

zenbot

*Super Moderator*
Staff member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I've always been a fan of soft putters and have had less success with firm putters.

What are your thoughts? (especially if you use Champ-like plastic.)

Soft. The softer the better. I like it to droop just as a result of gravity. Just feels more confident in my hand. Formerly used hypersoft 3x JK Aviar-x; now use floppy "rubber vomit" Vibram VP.

Last edited:
Trying to answer the question, using specific putters to answer the flex quesiton. Soft is a relative term.

I use SSS Gateways. Enough flex to grab chains and not bounce away, but still feel "solid" in my hand. Don't like firm, don't like really soft, like R-Pro or Gummy Star. Put's me in the middle, I guess. JK Pro Aviars are a nice flex for me as well. KC Pro was too firm/still for my taste.

I use the first run Wham-O 86 Softie for my main putter. They're flatter and not as soft as the 86s that came out later. The firm feel is great for my grip yet it still has plenty of softness to it that when it hits the chains it sticks.

Soft and tacy. Dont like champ because its to slippery but soft X is nice.

Also, like them a bit floppier in case I miss on a hill and it lands on end. Want a flat tire when that happens and floppy helps although doesnt make it impossible.

It has to be firm enough hold its shape. Any flopping around or bending will make getting a consistant release that much more difficult and I need all the consistancy I can get.

However, if you get too firm it's difficult to feel where your fingers are with respect to your thumb through the flight plate which makes it harder to putt, too.

firm but tacky, hate soft discs in general- i just see them as putting another variable in an equation that is already difficult enough.

I've experimented with a Soft Magnet and an R-Pro Aviar and both times I've gone back to a DX Aviar that feels a little gummy.

Sorry, but the soft putters just don't feel right in my hand and I have more shanks with them than with firm putters. About the only upside I see is when I do shank a putt, the soft putters don't roll away, and occasionally a brush across the outer chains that would spit out a firm putter might suck in a soft one.

I still have the R-Pro in my bag, but its been relegated to backup and practice status.

Sorry, but the soft putters just don't feel right in my hand and I have more shanks with them than with firm putters. About the only upside I see is when I do shank a putt, the soft putters don't roll away, and occasionally a brush across the outer chains that would spit out a firm putter might suck in a soft one.

Same here. I do not like the soft putters at all, I use the KCPro Aviar and love it.

I use Cryztal challengers. They have held their consistency for over a year where you wouldn't get the same result with soft plastic.

I use both. At the moment I'm using the hard putter for my regular putts. I'm using the soft for longer upshots and fan grip shots off the tee. For power grip shots off the tee I go back to the hard putter. Pro-D and Soft Challenger.

Maybe we should clarify...I answered based on true putting. I like a bit firmer for drives and I do use a gummy Star Rhyno for longer approaches, especially when the landing area is hard or sloped.

The softer the better. I putt kinda fast, so the softer ones stick better. They stick in the side of the basket too!! I now use a 172 R-Pro Aviar (no bead) and love it. I used Omega Super Softs (bead)for about 5 years prior. Used soft JK Aviars (bead) until they didn't make them soft anymore. Bought a Super Stupid Soft Wizard online, and it is as stiff as my DX Aviar. Not soft in any way, shape or form! These soft putters do wear in and become unstable over time. I only use them for true putts, inside 80 feet or so. I have to replace them every year, but love the sticking in the chains and not much roll away factors. I am interested in the JK R-Pro Aviar version if it comes out. Soft again????

I have tried many, many putters, always go back to the KC pro aviar because of the consistent release I get. Now my confusion starts when each KC pro I find has a differant grip! Some are a little more tacky than others.

My main putter is a Soft Magnet, but its quite still for a soft disc, so its like a sticky disc that has enough stiffness to drive it hard and it not get flippy.

For my approaches, I have a super Soft Magnet, that will taco very easily, and its great because when it hits the ground , it falls over, it doesn't roll. Its great for putting on hills or near water.

...occasionally a brush across the outer chains that would spit out a firm putter might suck in a soft one.

That's funny, that's the reason I quit using soft putters. I kept getting spit-outs where my putt would hit a little high center, and the putter would hook-up and spit-out left. When I didn't spin my putts as much I loved the softies, but now I like stiffer putters with decent grip like Pro-D, DX or KC Pro Aviars. I probably don't get as many hook-ins on the right, but I don't have the spit-outs on the left which for me is much more frustrating.

Latest posts