• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting: Soft or Firm Plastic?

Old thread is old. I changed putters a lot since this thread started, up until about the end of summer last year but have been on Magics since. I got 12 of them and truth be told, I changed my mind from the soft ones to them needing to hold firm, but I still like them tacky. I went with a glow Discspeed hand picked for me and still love it. I have to be able to put some pop on it sometimes and I don't want it wiggling around when I do.

Soft for better chain-grabability!!!

I personally putt with SSS Magics, but in a recent tourney I'd noticed that with very, very high humidity both my SSS Magics started getting very sticky. Almost so sticky that it was causing me to miss just right of my target (pulling the putt - RHBH). The second day I put an SS Magic in the bag and it certainly helped.

i have stood by my R pro cro for years with a dx to back it. only recent weeks have i been putting primarily with the dx cro, and it feels goooood:thmbup:. gonna be pickin another one of them up, no doubt.

Medium X-Link Ridge. The perfect balance of firm and soft with the advantages of both. The rubbery compound is grippy in all weather and it has a really solid feel to it. It has enough give in it to not bounce hard off trees and to stick to the chains. And no matter what you hit, this thing never warps or looses it flight characteristics.

4x Jk is firmer then my 5x but still grippy enough for me for my main putter and my 5x is my jump putter.

I have changed putting styles this year, and along with that found that I prefer Magics, in SS. I really don't like the soft gummy putters anymore. I have tried stiffer putters, but nothing seems more comfortable for me, and I am not as confident with any other putter right now.

Firm- I put with two DX Rhynos. I just prefer the release with something harder opposed the the floppy release I get with soft stuff.

I like the hard plastic putters. They fly straighter. An extra 6''-12'' of straight flight can mean a big difference when it comes to a made and missed putt.

However I tend to like softer ones for driving.

When I first started playing, my preference was soft (Soft Magnet was my go-to). Nowadays I prefer a Zero Pure and medium X-Link Ridge. They both have the perfect amount of tackiness to grab the chains, but rigid enough to get a consistently clean release. Pure for close putts and Ridge for anything outside 40-50 feet.

Soft tacky surface with a firm core work the best. If only R-Pro plastic was just a coating.

Soft tacky surface with a firm core work the best. If only R-Pro plastic was just a coating.

You just described Vibrams new fusion line.
Hopefully they will make this a reality because I am also eager to try it, it sounds really good in theory, a soft grippy "fingerprint indentation leaving" surface with a firmer core to reduce collapsing with torque.
This could very well be putter Nirvana.

Unfortunately, Steve Dodge has a one Trak mind right now.

I've always gravitated towards softer putters. I like something with a little flex, but not floppy. Started with Soft Mags, then FR Ridges, now I'm rockin' Soft Ions :thmbup:

i've been using HPP for a bit now. i like putters that are very grippy, and any softness as long as they're not too floppy (dga blowfly, some SSS putters). it needs to retain its usual shape when in my hand. i like lat64's zero plastic, very grippy and medium flex, and hpp evolution seem to have a great deal of chain grippiness. i was expecting it to be more slippery like champion, but nope. try it out if like grippy and yet fairly hard plastic. hpp doesn't get small dents and chips every time it hits something, unlike m, s, ss, sss.

Latest posts