• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting Woes - Practice vs Live

Jaysauls

Gold level trusted reviewer
I throw on average 250-300 putts a week, sinking 80% inside 30', totally smooth and straight. And that is right until the round goes live! Then my super smooth, confident release falls completely apart. I'm all jittery, flinching...smooth as 80 grit sandpaper. I still hit most of my putts but look dreadful doing so. I've considered valium, but then I wouldn't care if they hit or missed! Any tips?

What do you do different during practice compared to "live?"

Dunno if it will help, but I find myself putting the best when I keep myself from over thinking it. I look at it like shooting a basketball, throwing a dart, tossing a piece of paper in the trash etc. During those actions your mind isn't consciously calculating wind direction and speed, what your score is, what happened last putt, how many feet out you are etc. You look at your target and just put it in.

That's where I try to keep my thought process at while I putt. I look at the target and I (try to) put it in. After putting for years, you know what wind, distance and elevation will do to your disc, and you have the muscle memory to properly determine how much power you'll need. So I sort of zone out and just let my body do its thing.

Last edited:
My problem is usually when i don't get enough putting practice immediately before the round. I can be lights out in the back yard the day before getting to the course. If i don't get 20 minutes in before the round, i'm going to struggle during the round.

fwiw, i usually don't get much practice in becuase i'm usually the guy taking sign-ins.

Make sure you separate practicing the mechanics of putting and actual putting.

I also fire away a couple of hundred putts when I practice. That gets me comfortable and gets the release consistent. Then it helps to take a break and come back 10-15min later and work on "real" putting practice. Meaning you set your mini down, you dial in, you make the putt, go to another spot, repeat. This actually trains you to feel comfortable during the setup and execution, not to just feel comfortable at jamming a hundred 30 footers where you just go on autopilot.

Before a tournament I do the same. I throw enough putts to make my release feel comfortable, then I spend doing "real" putting practice where I simulate an actual putt in the round. Rapid fire trains your muscles, but you need to do the "real" putt practice to train your mind.

I only use one putter when practicing to add pressure and mimic a round.

I agree with those who say it is mental, as I have the same problem. Now if I have a questionable putt, instead of watching and waiting for everyone else to putt while I psyche myself out, I try to change my train of thought. Personally I like to think of good looking girls until perhaps 5 seconds before I putt. Works great most of the time, but sometimes seems to backfire when I line up incorrectly, but I assume these to be misses regardless.

I go ahead and miss most of my practice putts, so the missed live-round putts won't disappoint me.

I go ahead and miss most of my practice putts, so the missed live-round putts won't disappoint me.

Missing with CONFIDENCE!

I think most people are going to have a worse in-round % than their practice round %. People who shoot better in rounds than practice should be shot.

I try to create as simple of a putting motion as possible and I reset after every 2 practice putts.

heavydisc.blogspot.com/2014/05/how-do-i-improve.html

There's a youtube video of some of my practice putts in that post. I try to emulate that exact putt in my rounds. Walk up to the lie, take a few deep breaths and let myself calm down. Sometimes I chill for a good 10 seconds, just letting my thoughts clear out before I even get into my putting stance.

I want to feel like my center of balance is good and low.

Once I'm in the stance, I don't get handcuffed with thinking about it. One smooth motion and release.

You know the problem that I have with rapid fire 'stand at a spot and throw multiple putters' putting practice that I know we've all done a thousand times?

My problem is that its not methodical of how you would putt in an actual round, where you can't get yourself into a groove, only get one try and have to deal with the consequences. I mean, its fine for getting your form corrected, and your routine down, but at some point, you have to apply the routine in a game situation, or something akin to one.

So my advice at the very least is after each putt, reset your feet, or move around to a different spot and reset there. That sort of thing has to be incorporated into your routine, so when you're in a situation where that putt counts, it feels like more of the same, and not something different.

I think McBeth once said that he had to put for about 30 mins before a tournament. This was to get to the point where he didn't think about how he was going to put, it was all just instincts. I think you should try to not focus on making the put, just "toss it". It's like those 10'-15' puts where you don't have to think. Just do it! :)

I agree with Scarpfish. When I practice putt at home, I don't hold all my putters in my off-hand. I don't do it at the course, so I don't do it during practice. In fact, I set them down individually, spaced apart a little bit, so I'm forced to get out of my stance, address a new lie, and go through my routine. You are way better off practicing 50 quality putts than you are 200 that deviate from your typical on-course routine.

I just seemed to forget everything I know about putting...form, power, grip...I pause until it looks like I've had a stroke!

I have only been doing some serious putting practice for the past 11 days, and am already seeing a large improvement. I actually tend to put worse after practicing a bunch of puts, because it is in my head 'alright just like practice, you just made 50 of these'. I went out to a new course yesterday, walked up and drained them. Starting to get that feel and letting instinct take over.

Personally, I suspect that throwing drives messes up my putting.

Just taking my time, putting from different locations, using a mini, concentrating on each putt, doesn't replicate live rounds for me.

One day, I'm going to putt next to a net. So I can putt---rip a drive---rip a drive---putt---etc., and see how that replicates actual play.

(Observant readers will note that I have to rip two drives for every putt. With my noodle arm, that's about right on most holes).

I like to throw three approach shots from at least 100 feet away. Then, putt with all of my putters from my worst shot. I feel like doing this night after night has really helped me improve.

I have also found, like someone else said, that I need to warm up putts for 20 minutes before I even think about starting the course.

I agree with those who say it is mental, as I have the same problem. Now if I have a questionable putt, instead of watching and waiting for everyone else to putt while I psyche myself out, I try to change my train of thought. Personally I like to think of good looking girls until perhaps 5 seconds before I putt. Works great most of the time, but sometimes seems to backfire when I line up incorrectly, but I assume these to be misses regardless.

So that's why you have that creepy smile on your face when you're putting. :p

Latest posts