• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting your bag in the washing machine?

Nasty Nate

Double Eagle Member
I was just wondering if it is possible to wash your bag in the washing machine. I have an Innova Discarrier that could use some cleaning as I recently spilled beer in it and it's getting dirty anyway. Does anybody have experience washing bags in the machine? I just want to make sure it doesn't get torn up or anything.

Just wash it in the shower with some detergent. I do it with my grip bag (I take out all the plastic panels). Take it into the shower then wipe down with little liquid detergent soaked rag. Rinse it completely in the shower and let it hang dry in the garage.

You can also spray with a Lysol or isopropyl alcohol solution. I did that to my grip when one of the straps started smelling bad from all the super sweat soaked summer in Nashville rounds. (In addition to washing/soaping/rinsing in the shower). Came out smelling freshly laundered and brand new looking.

Last edited:
Thanks! I think it's kind of funny bringing your bag into the shower but I guess that works! I wiped down the inside with a sponge and dish soap but it looks like I'll be getting intimate with my bag very soon ;). The outside could use a good cleaning as well.

I know I am brand new to disc golf but am not brand new at all to washing bags such as this. As a cyclist who commutes to and from work a lot and who has ridden close to 30,000 miles between at least three bikes in the past almost 25 years and has used various types of nylon bags made from the same materials as disc golf bags I have learned several things about taking care of them.

First these are mostly nylon canvas material bags, usually with either a nylon or metal zipper. Some bags have a stiffener piece or pieces in them to help create and keep a shape, some even have a frame. These materials are usually hard nylon or plastic materials. Some bags may have plastic buckles and nylon canvas straps and some may have metal hardware such as nuts and bolts. While some may have padded straps made from a foam material.

The one thing they all have in common is they all get dirty and need to be laundered from time to time.

Washing:
1. Open all zippers and leave all straps with buckles unconnected.
2. Remove any stiffener piece, hard frame or foam padding material that is mean to be removed with out cutting seams. Some of these are held in with zippered or Velcro closures.
3. Make sure the bag is empty of all contents.
4. A front load washer is recommended over a top load with the spindle. Straps and things like that can get caught and wrapped around the spindle.
5. DO NOT USE bleach.
6. Use liquid laundry detergent, it rinses better than powder.
7. Do not wash anything else with the bag.
8. Wash on cold water.
9. Do not use fabric softener.
10. Wash on regular cycle for colors.
11. DO NOT dry the bag in a dryer. Hang it to dry. Because these bags are made of synthetic material they will dry very quickly compared to cotton based materials.
12. Ask your wife, mother or S.O., especially if it is her washer, before you wash the bag because it will make a heck of a racket, but will not cause any damage, while tumbling around inside the drum.

I have been riding a recumbent for 15 years. It has a steel seat frame and a rear rack. The types of bags I use on this bike are: a Camel Bak pack, a seat frame bag and a pair of saddle bags. They all get dirty through out the year where I have to wash them. With the exception of the Camel Bak pack, I am still using the same bags I have for the past 15 years. The two biggest things that soil these bags are my own perspiration soaking into the seat bag and road grime that sprays onto the saddle bags, Camel Bak pack and seat frame bag.

I am looking at investing a good disc golf bag in the future. I always look at the materials the bag is made from. The bags I have checked tells me washing a disc golf bag in the washer should be no problem when necessary.

Thanks for the replies! I may go the shower route or the washing machine route... I'm not sure yet because of the washing machine I have. I think it should be fine but I have had a shirt torn up by my washer so I am hesitant to put my bag in there.

Blue Dawn dish soap and a rag.

Rinse in tub, shower, utility sink, driveway with a hose....whatever.

I used to take my Mahal to the carwash and blast it with the self-serve power washer. Worked like a charm.

I usually use a hose and a soapy sponge on anything that isn't a Mahal.

I used to take my Mahal to the carwash and blast it with the self-serve power washer. Worked like a charm.

/\
This! It's hilarious to me since that is the way Mystery Ranch says to do it too!

4. A front load washer is recommended over a top load with the spindle. Straps and things like that can get caught and wrapped around the spindle..

I can second this. I made the mistake of washing my super nice Mountain Hardware back pack in our top loaded washer and when I took it out, it was clean, but the whole thing was ripped asunder. I have no idea what happened in the washing machine but I'll be damned if I put my disc golf bag in the washing machine, as a result.

Just hand wash it in a bin and air dry it like you would any nice wool garment. Except you prob won't need to use Woolite, lol.

Haha that seems a bit excessive... I don't think I'll be power washing my disc bag any time soon :)
aerosol lysol will take away some of the funk too
I'm funky, but not THAT funky!

I think I may wash it in the shower like Runningdoc suggested. I would like to put it in the washing machine but I really don't know how it will turn out. Looks like I'll be marking my lie in the tub...

Beware of the water hazards!

I picked up a Grip B-Series bag at a PIAS for $50 and it smelled like smoke. The smell has since subsided but I think that I should wash it bc I keep thinking that the grey on it is almost black. Could I use liquid laundry detergent out of the washing machine instead of Dawn?

vodka spray/soak is great for smoke smells. No joke.

And yes you can use laundry detergent like any other soap just need very little to work with.

Last edited:
Beware of the water hazards!

I picked up a Grip B-Series bag at a PIAS for $50 and it smelled like smoke. The smell has since subsided but I think that I should wash it bc I keep thinking that the grey on it is almost black. Could I use liquid laundry detergent out of the washing machine instead of Dawn?
Theoretically, yes, but laundry detergent is super concentrated and it might be tough to work with outside of the washing machine.

So I just washed my bag in the shower :eek:

We'll see how it goes. Currently drying out.

Take the internal frame out, vacuum the loose stuff out, for the really bad stuff shoot it with some spot treatment spray, put the bag in a pillow case, tie/rubber band the pillow case closed, use regular detergent but no softener, put it on gentle, take it out and hang it to air dry. Reassemble and it should be good as new!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 20
Sure

Delicate, hot wash, hot rinse, double rinse, No spin. General liquid detergent, pre scrub any really greasy spots, solid half of cup Borax powder for boraxing goodness.

.., no spin!

What I've done is to put the bag in a 5 gallon bucket with dish soap. (Usually Dawn) Let it soak a while and agitate it periodically throughout the soaking. After a while of soaking I'll take a scrub brush to the really dirty parts. Then rinse it the same way and hang dry. (Usually 2-3 rinses.) Yeah this may take all day but I usually do it while I'm puttering around the house. This is the same method I use for nylon tool bags and wrench rolls. (I'll use goop hand cleaner if they're greasy.)

Now if someone could tell me how to get the cat (dog, racoon maybe) piss smell out of my leather tool pouch I'd appreciate it. I've even used embalming fluid and I still smell it.

What I've done is to put the bag in a 5 gallon bucket with dish soap. (Usually Dawn) Let it soak a while and agitate it periodically throughout the soaking. After a while of soaking I'll take a scrub brush to the really dirty parts. Then rinse it the same way and hang dry. (Usually 2-3 rinses.) Yeah this may take all day but I usually do it while I'm puttering around the house. This is the same method I use for nylon tool bags and wrench rolls. (I'll use goop hand cleaner if they're greasy.)

Now if someone could tell me how to get the cat (dog, racoon maybe) piss smell out of my leather tool pouch I'd appreciate it. I've even used embalming fluid and I still smell it.

Try Anti Icky Poo.
Recommended by the vets at the University of Minnesota. We've had some success with it on cat urine.
(My fiancé is a practice manager for a vet clinic, and one of the vets works at the University also.)

You could try vinegar first before you pony up, but I doubt it will do much if the urine has been there awhile.

https://www.amazon.com/MisterMax-Anti-Icky-Remover-Quart/dp/B007KAHOTI

Last edited:

Latest posts