• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Quail Canyon in Tucson, AZ now open!

Chromezero

Par Member
It's official, Quail Canyon is open for business. The Tucson Disc Golf Club has done a few tournaments there and recently did a fund raiser for baskets to be permanently installed. I'm not sure who made it happen or how they did it, but I'm sure glad it happened.

Check out the local news feed...
KGUN9 on Youtube.com

This sounds great! I'll be in Tucson in March for a few days, so this will be another course to play. :clap:
Not sure if they have figured everything out yet but, Are tee times required? Will they be mixing DGers in with the BGers? What will the cost be for DGers (not that it matters :) )?

So is Marana even playable now? Do you guys have it set up in its "flood" setup?

:popcorn:

During the Sunday Sizzling League they hosted at Quail Canyon, we played along side ball golfers and it went fine. The course is a par 3 course for ball golfers, so it's works out great for disc golf as well. We throw from the tee boxes and the baskets are generally close to the greens. I don't believe tee times are required but maybe recommended during peak seasons/times. I haven't had a chance to play there since the official opening, so I can't say for sure on green fees. My guess is, green fees will be the same as ball golfers, From the website: 9 Holes Walking-$9.00, W/Cart-$14.00, 18 Holes Walking-$14.00, 18 Holes W/Cart-$19.00. That might seem a bit expensive to some but that's cheap for ball golf out here.

As for Marana, I haven't been out there since the flood. I've heard they have a modified flood layout but it's not much of a course. I've also heard that there are plans to install a new course, at a new location in Marana. I don't have any solid info though, it's all second hand since I'm not super active with the league/clubs.

Sound economic choice for the owners, with ball golf falling off and a major local dgc MIA.
Ball golf for the public 18 in Gulfport is the same price. I would find that a little expensive for dg, unless I was there all day with a cart.

Yes, that is a little expensive for DG, from what I've heard at other courses, especially since we don't require the same amount of maintenance as BG (watering and mowing the greens every day, moving the pins, mowing the fairways often, raking the traps). I have a feeling that if they see the DGers just coming once, and not returning, they will adjust their pricing. After all, they had to put some investment in for the baskets, and at least need to recoup that. Then, look to make money (not a lot) off the DG market.

This will be my first time on an active BG course, so looking forward to it and won't mind paying that, but wouldn't pay those prices on a regular basis, unless its an awesome course.

:thmbup:

Well, we may not need the grass to be green but we're still causing wear/tear to the fairways, bunkers, and so on, meaning the course will need to be watered/raked for the ball golfers. Additionally, a large attraction to playing at Quail Canyon is the fact that they have green grass, a pond, restrooms, and a pro shop with drinks/food. None of the other courses in the area have those "amenities".

As for the investment in baskets, that money was actually raised by the local disc golf club, not the golf course. People who donated money for the baskets get some sort of discount or credit toward green fees. I think the installation was done by the club members as well.

I am a little concerned though, with those prices I don't think the typical league players will frequent the course. Myself and a few buddies will probably play there a few times a month but I don't know about the rest of the disc golf community here in Tucson. While courses like this may not be for everyone, I would personally like to see more ball golf courses add baskets.

So is Marana even playable now? Do you guys have it set up in its "flood" setup?

Last I went it was in the perimeter layout, and last I heard the traditional layout is dead.

So, I'm happy Quail Canyon opened. Tucson, otherwise, is highly limited in courses. The fees are such, I'll probably play about monthly there.

Latest posts