• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Question for the Gyronauts

Poisonbird

Bogey Member
As a Michigander, I like to support Michigan companies. As I get better at DG, I'm starting to add a few higher speed options to my bag; plus I'm simply curious about gyro discs. With all that in mind, can you recommend a few (3-4) core MVP/Axiom discs that I should try? I already own a Tangent (love it, one of my favorite midranges) and a Tensor (haven't thrown it as much but seems useful); I have also tried a couple of MVP putters (Atom, which I liked for throwing but not so much for putting, and Anode, which didn't feel good in my hand). I don't have a big arm (max distance about 300' with my Valley, which is the fastest disc I have been carrying) but made significant progress during the fall with both distance and accuracy; I feel like I'm ready to start working a few higher speed discs into the bag. Suggestions, Gyronauts?

I'm not a Gyronaut but:

I was looking for a step up in speed and play around with the Inertia and it is a great distance driver with glide. It won't be a huge leap in speed but it will be enough I think. It's like Valk/Beast kind of speed.

The quintessential GYRO rig IMO is something like:

Putter: Ion or Anode depending on your preference on beads.
Mid: Vector or Axis depending on your preference on beads. Vector is Roc like in feel. Axis is more Buzzz/Truth-esque
Fairway: Crave or Volt depending on speed preference. Craves are 7 speed like a Teebird. Volts are crazy long speed 9's
Fairway: Resistor for your OS duties. They power down incredibly well and just are useful for tons of shots

What was it about the atom that you didnt like for putting?

Basically only 2 core options there so if anode didnt feel good the atom/envy/proxy are only other options and all putt very similar. Lighter weight atoms i find more useful as actual putters being a push putter atoms just don't glide like deeper ion/anode.

Check out the relay. IMO one of MVPs best drivers to come out.

A soft Atom is a great driving putter. I like it better than the Envy. Check out Marshall Street, where they're still unloading all Axiom for $9.99. That's the best way to stock up. I made an order last night.

I had a lightweight Tesla that never really worked for me, Vector (prefer Buzzz), Axis (I'd go back to this for the straight mid). I have a Fission Volt in the bag now that I really like a lot.

Gotta get a proxy. Dead straight to the ground at a wide range of powers. And to bring out the old cliche (cause it's so true) - holds any line you put it on.

So is Gyronaut the official term now? I prefer GYbrony personally.

As a Michigander, I like to support Michigan companies. As I get better at DG, I'm starting to add a few higher speed options to my bag; plus I'm simply curious about gyro discs. With all that in mind, can you recommend a few (3-4) core MVP/Axiom discs that I should try? I already own a Tangent (love it, one of my favorite midranges) and a Tensor (haven't thrown it as much but seems useful); I have also tried a couple of MVP putters (Atom, which I liked for throwing but not so much for putting, and Anode, which didn't feel good in my hand). I don't have a big arm (max distance about 300' with my Valley, which is the fastest disc I have been carrying) but made significant progress during the fall with both distance and accuracy; I feel like I'm ready to start working a few higher speed discs into the bag. Suggestions, Gyronauts?

I'm not a Gyronaut, but I have enough MVP/Axiom discs that I could (and do) put a complete bag together. Here's what I use:

Putters: like you, I don't like the feel/grip of the Anode in my hand. The Ion was a bit better for me. But the Atom and the Proxy, with their more shallow grips, really felt better and did better for me.

Midranges: The Vector is like a Roc3 in feel and flight for the overstable needs. The Axis is an extremely straight-flying disc. The Tangent flies straight for me, but I can get it to turn over (to the right for RHBH throws) with some anhyzer.

Control drivers: The Amp is the disc that caused me to explore MVP/Axiom more, and is sitll a favorite disc of mine. It is not as understable for me as it might be for others; IMHO that's the disc's PLH, as another Amp I once threw was more understable than the one I use. I don't have any other control drivers right in this area.

Drivers: The Inertia is a decent disc. It started out as overstable for me but as my form improved and as I used the disc and seasoned it in, it became a bit more stable/understable for me (but it's not truly understable by any means). I had an Impulse that was more understable, but I lost it to a lake. :( I recently got an Axiom Insanity. It's a little less stable than the Inertia, more stable than the Impulse. It's a decent disc, but I was disappointed with the distance it gets.

For long drivers, I tried the Wave. The 153g Wave was a bit flippy (turned over to the right on me more than I wanted), the 173g was a bit overstable, though usable (especially in winds). So I got a 163g Wave, which had a higher PLH than the others and is therefore not as understable and doesn't have a much glide as I like. If I can find a low-160s Wave with a lower PLH I might buy it, but I'm not looking all that hard.

Warning: I bought a near-max-weight Orbital (173g). Even at that max weight, the Orbital is flippy to the point that it turns over and crashes to the ground even when thrown by my noodle arm. It is totally unreliable for me, as I don't it for a roller, and it won't stay in the air at all. I don't know where your arm strength is, but I strongly recommend borrowing an Orbital and trying it before putting down money and buying one. I totally wasted my money buying an Orbital; it is one of my two biggest regrets in disc purchases.

Do you prefer over or under stable Drivers?

Backhand or Forehand

Orbital is just fine if you learn how to throw it like any other disc. I love how people say if you turn a putter or mid over its on you but if they cant control a disc which is designed to be stupid understable its on the disc.

Noodle arms should benefit from a disc like this and get easy easy D when thrown properly. Now the wave is a touchy speed stable driver... At least you KNOW orbital is going to flip and play it that way.

Volt- great disc. Sneaky long and very controllable.

Resistor - Awesome for shorter (~250ft.) forehand/OS shots. Think a baby firebird. I wish I would have had this disc years ago.

Distance Drivers - the volt may cover this for you but if it doesn't I'd go with an insanity or inertia around 167g. A fission photon in the 155g range could work well for you too. The tesla is a great driver that will give you distance with a dependable fade. It flys like a s-PD for me, which is wonderful.

Mids - no experience

Putters - wait for that electron ion!

Plastics - proton is harder and a little less grippy than plasma and neutron. Plasma is the plastic for me followed by proton. It just feels right.

Orbital is just fine if you learn how to throw it like any other disc. I love how people say if you turn a putter or mid over its on you but if they cant control a disc which is designed to be stupid understable its on the disc.

Noodle arms should benefit from a disc like this and get easy easy D when thrown properly. Now the wave is a touchy speed stable driver... At least you KNOW orbital is going to flip and play it that way.

Even on an extreme-angle hzyer flip (nearly vertical), the Orbital turns over and crashes. Unless intentionally throwing a roller, the only way to throw an Orbital is to significantly power down the throw, which means not getting the distances one could get on other drivers, such as the Wave.

I again and very strongly recommend AGAINST buying the Orbital without trying it out first.

That's a hella hyzer release AIM. Wave's gotta be more versatile than that.

For distance/fairway stuff like the Valk, check out the Relay, Inspire, Inertia, and Orbital (from slowest to fastest). You really can't go wrong with any of these, they're all awesome!

Those you listed are all understable molds, r u throwing any of their stable-OS stuff? You need that you know.

Latest posts