• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Question for the Gyronauts

Have you tried the Proxy? VERY close to the Atom and durable in Neutron plastic.

How much does the proxy flight differ from the envy? My envy has gotten a good bit straighter since new, I'm interested in trying a proxy but not sure if it does anything much different than a beat envy?

How much does the proxy flight differ from the envy? My envy has gotten a good bit straighter since new, I'm interested in trying a proxy but not sure if it does anything much different than a beat envy?

Proxy doesn't have the fade, so if your Envy is beat to straight, prolly don't need a Proxy.

Yeah the bead like an ion will just help retain that solid HSS longer. My first proxy has a tiny bit of drift to right now when i mash it after 1 season while 2012 ions flying legit same with watermelon envy.

I've tried a handful of molds. I'd recommend Axiom, the Neutron Insanity and Neutron Crave.

The Inertia's a great disc too. I just enjoyed the Insanity more, and they're pretty close at your current distance. I enjoy a lot of their speed 7 catalog, bagging the Switch (BH distance - great flipper after it seasons a little), Crave (FH distance - flips late and fades back), and Servo (BH control - flies much like the Crave for my BH). They all have much more potential than 300'.

Wish I had more use for MVP FD's, but the courses I play have very long holes and little else, so it's almost always max D drive and then approach.

Atom-Theory-Crave-Insanity-Tesla-Wave

You may want another mid with the Theory (it's the only gyro mid I throw so far, so that's the only one I can say anything about). I like it because it basically does what I tell it to do, but it doesn't get the distance that my Ibex or Hornet do.

OR

Go all Axiom and take advantage of Marshall Street's 9.99 Axiom sale. Replace the Atom with a Proxy (or Envy) and the Tesla with a Wrath.

Putters: Envy for stable/OS or Proxy for neutral (driving putters)
Mids: Axis is fast and neutral
Fairway: Volt is workable and sneaky long. Others love the slower fairway lineup
Distance: Insanity for that S turn, Valk-like drives
Beef: Resistor for short, Motion for long. Love em both

What was it about the atom that you didnt like for putting?

Hard to put my finger on it, it just didn't "click" for me. Maybe it's a hair too shallow? It just didn't feel like I was releasing it cleanly on putts (my putting motion is sort of a push/spin hybrid, probably 75% push). My search for the perfect putter is a whole other ball of wax; I'm still trying out some of the suggestions made in another thread about that. But I do like the Atom for throwing. The Anode just felt weird to me; I don't like discs with a smooth curve between the rim and the flight plate, I prefer a nice corner that my fingers can use as a reference point. It was okay for fan grip throws.

I am mostly a BH player but I do like to throw anny FH putter approaches; reminds me of my Ultimate days. Almost any other FH throw I have to make, I use one of my Vibram discs, my grip feels more secure.

Hard to put my finger on it, it just didn't "click" for me. Maybe it's a hair too shallow? It just didn't feel like I was releasing it cleanly on putts (my putting motion is sort of a push/spin hybrid, probably 75% push). My search for the perfect putter is a whole other ball of wax; I'm still trying out some of the suggestions made in another thread about that. But I do like the Atom for throwing. The Anode just felt weird to me; I don't like discs with a smooth curve between the rim and the flight plate, I prefer a nice corner that my fingers can use as a reference point. It was okay for fan grip throws.

I am mostly a BH player but I do like to throw anny FH putter approaches; reminds me of my Ultimate days. Almost any other FH throw I have to make, I use one of my Vibram discs, my grip feels more secure.

Care to comment on this, AIM? :D

I don't see how you can be a primary push putter and not enjoy a deep rim with some curve so you can bunch up the fingers for more spring, but whatever works for you. Shallow putters feel terrible to me.

I don't see how you can be a primary push putter and not enjoy a deep rim with some curve so you can bunch up the fingers for more spring, but whatever works for you. Shallow putters feel terrible to me.

He mentioned for throwing, specifically driving, IIRC.

I used an Anode for approach shots for about a year before switching to the Proxy, never had a problem with the Anode inner rim, using a 3 finger power grip. It was there and I could feel it, but it was a non-issue. That said, the Proxy rim is so comfortable for throwing, you can't beat it, IMO.