• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Questions about building a course

4ormal

Birdie Member
I've been throwing around the idea of purchasing a chunk of land to specifically build a course. For those of you that are running a private course or who have built a course on private property, my question is in regards to insurance and is it needed/required. How do I go about getting a course setup to allow the public to come and play? What type of yearly costs am I looking at for keeping the course going? Like I said, all these questions are for the legality/safety side of things (not course maintenance costs). I would hate to get a course set up and then somebody comes and breaks an ankle and sues me for everything I've got.

I've been throwing around the idea of purchasing a chunk of land to specifically build a course. For those of you that are running a private course or who have built a course on private property, my question is in regards to insurance and is it needed/required. How do I go about getting a course setup to allow the public to come and play? What type of yearly costs am I looking at for keeping the course going? Like I said, all these questions are for the legality/safety side of things (not course maintenance costs). I would hate to get a course set up and then somebody comes and breaks an ankle and sues me for everything I've got.
Recommend talking with Bob Horning of Horning's Hideout in North Plains, OR about insurance. It's my understanding that the way it works for him is only charging for parking. Players can then play the courses free. I think players also sign a waiver but not sure about that.

Thanks, yah I don't know if Hornings Hideout will be a good example because they have MANY other things going on there such as camping, fishing, wedding events, music festivals etc etc. I plan to just offer disc golf and a small proshop for goodies/discs. I have been meaning to talk to the guys at Buxton Woods since that's more along the lines I am thinking. I have feeling they might just do things under the table though.

And to clarify, the way Hornings does it is $5 per person regardless if you play disc or not. No waivers to sign.

Thanks, yah I don't know if Hornings Hideout will be a good example because they have MANY other things going on there such as camping, fishing, wedding events, music festivals etc etc. I plan to just offer disc golf and a small proshop for goodies/discs. I have been meaning to talk to the guys at Buxton Woods since that's more along the lines I am thinking. I have feeling they might just do things under the table though.

And to clarify, the way Hornings does it is $5 per person regardless if you play disc or not. No waivers to sign.
Regarding insurance, I'm not sure it matters that Horning's has other activities, it's just about a way to deal with insurance issues in Oregon. I've heard from several private course owners across the country and they seem to find that their general business insurance is sufficient coverage without an expensive rider added for disc golf activities since the claims rate has been so low or non-existent on disc golf injuries for those insurance companies to require it.

Thank you for the insight :) I'll try to get ahold of Bob in the next week or two to see what he says. I'm also going to see if Jerry Miller has some advice since he's created several of the courses in the area.

In my circumstances, in Kentucky, there's strong laws already in place protecting landowners who open up their land for recreation purposes without charging a fee. The minute I start charging a fee I'd be considered a business and would need insurance. I think the law was mostly put in place with hunting/fishing in mind.

So in my case, I don't charge anything, but do accept donations which I don't hassle people for. I just leave a lockbox on the sign-in table (Sign-in log and waivers). I'd say 80-90% of folks at least drop a few bucks in.

I only allow visitors who make a reservation when I'm around, or I host "open play days/weekends" where I give a few weeks advance notice that I'll be around all weekend and let people show up whenever they'd like. So far it's working out pretty good.

Pretty much what IC said. We've taken a similar position with our course.

Though it varies from location to location---by laws, and by the tort atmosphere.

If you make it a business, you owe a higher standard of care to customers, and have greater exposure to lawsuits.

You can be more certain to avoid problems if you have insurance---personal and/or business.

You can be even more certain if you don't do it at all.

Post a sign that says it's play at your own risk... I don't know about liability in the states but that's a solid first step. For my place I can't advertise it, from an insurance standpoint anyways or I pay more. It's covered by my land owner insurance. The tournament that happens here every May is a "word of mouth" tournament. Never been advertising so it's more of a private invite thats open to anyone that hears about it.

Our public course is covered under Youth Sports Association they have a ballpark and disc park slipped under their coverage even though it's a national park.. I dunno the facts don't add up when I lay em out haha but that's the way it works here.

I like the idea of a donation box or charging for parking..

Last edited:
Small Disc Golf Course

do you think it will be possible to put a small 9 hole disc golf course on 6 acres?

When we started building our courses, we let folks play for free in return for feedback on the course designs. We asked that they sign a waiver their first time out, which we keep just in case.

After starting up the business and collecting greens fees though, we bought an insurance policy to protect the business and another to protect the buildings and other assets on the property. We still ask new players to sign a waiver. Better safe than sorry.

Other than that, the only other fixed costs are for porta potties, trash,and property taxes.

I know I am responding to an old thread but posting a reply in case someone comes across this that is looking for insuring a private DG course....I had opened up an obstacle course training center 9think Spartan race training with a running trail and various elements to climb over or under, etc)....we used K2 Insurance Brokers and they were awesome -- very reasonable rates and great customer service. It was worth it - in only for peace of mind. Liked them so much my rugby club used them for a special event they ran as well. See them at:https://www.k2brokers.com/commercial-products/sports-and-events-insurance