• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Questions about building my own basket (First Post here)

LPJackson123

Yeah so I'm new to this website but after browsing for a few decided to register, really good stuff.
Anyways, I have access to about 500 acres of land my cousin owns. I have been playing for about two years, and am interested in building a few baskets and making a small course out there. Money is definately something to consider, so I was wondering if I could get some tips on the best/most economical way to make my own baskets.

If you want professional-grade baskets, your best bet is to buy them. There's really no other way around it. If you just want something that catches a disc and isn't necessarily PDGA approved or pretty, then check out the threads that basketcase15 mentioned above, specifically the first one for the "Homemade Discatcher Gallery".

Welcome to the site!

Chains will be your single biggest expense. You can make them single layer or maybe use some heavy rope to try and save some bucks though.

Also, I made the mistake of using tin flashing to make the sides of my basket and I wound up having to put a layer of duck tape along the top to keep it from gouging putters. Try to avoid really sharp edges if possible.

Instead of chains you can hang PVC pipe like a windchime if you are desperate to cut costs. It works, but it is ghetto.