• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Questions about dyeing

Ok. I'm doing this with electrical tape, we'll see how this works. Next dye will be better I hope. I'll post the results here. Hope they don't end up terrible.
Electrical tape, eh? You might end up with this.

eddie-van-halen-front-850-100_cxdba_52.jpg

First Dye

Thanks for all the help! I didn't screw it up! I did this with black dye and electrical tape.

Attachments

• DSCF0960.jpg
    DSCF0960.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 119
Oh wow. That didn't take you long at all. Just a little bleeding but it seems like it worked.

On one of my first dyes I wasn't getting my dye warm enough so I turned up the heat, walked away and got distracted. Next thing I know I have boiling dye and my vinyl was pealing back everywhere. Since then I have played with the Destroyer (DX) and one day I noticed the dome is concaved more on it then a Star Destoyer I also have. I think it was from over cooking the disc, and in that case you may alter the flight character of a disc.

Any great ideas for making cool backgrounds? Like the saran wrap, etc. Also what saran wrap can be used? I can get it to stick to the disc.

Any great ideas for making cool backgrounds? Like the saran wrap, etc. Also what saran wrap can be used? I can get it to stick to the disc.

I've never used any that stick to the disc. Just make sure not to move the disc once you've set it on the crumpled Saran wrap.

do you guys ever cut while the vinyl is on the disc? i had to do it today for the first time when i was re-masking some areas on a lebowski dye. i didn't press hard at all, but there is still these miniscule scratches on the flight plate...overall i'd say it was worth it not having to waste a ton of vinyl remasking the entire disc

i don't see a problem with it, but i prefer to do as much cutting as i can off of the disc, solely because i can see through the vinyl better than most of the discs i dye. i guess it all boils down to preference. i do the tiny, intricate cuts on the discs usually, but not always

do you guys ever cut while the vinyl is on the disc? i had to do it today for the first time when i was re-masking some areas on a lebowski dye. i didn't press hard at all, but there is still these miniscule scratches on the flight plate...overall i'd say it was worth it not having to waste a ton of vinyl remasking the entire disc

Just be sure to use your sharpest blade and very little pressure. Easy to do with the right vinyl, but contact paper can be a trick because of its thickness, requiring more pressure.
One of my first glow disc has some pretty deep gashes, as I double layer the mask to ensure a good seal under the time and heat needed for dyeing DX glow plastic. I pressed too hard and cut the disc. I don't think this would be tourney legal, even after a little buffing.
Alas, this is how we learn. :D

my question is about dyeing the under side. I have seen someone on here do the penny one and it looked SICK! I also have heard words are hard to do, and was wondering why that was. I haven't done any dyes yet, but i ordered my free vinyl today from 3M and I have a couple in mind that i would like to do. Then I plan on ordering a white disc and doing an image on the top with wording on the under side. How difficult is that to do and what are the pointers on doing it for a noob such as myself?

I also have heard words are hard to do, and was wondering why that was.

Lettering is difficult to cut free hand because it shows small flaws much more easily than other types of images. It's not hard to do, just hard to do well.

If you're using a plotter to cut the vinyl, lettering is no problem.

Just how bright can you dye a disc?

So I love throwing the Millennium Orion LF in standard Millennium plastic. Unfortunately, I can only find them in white. I'm not happy at all with this color.

I prefer the brightest, most obnoxious, easy to find colored discs and was wondering just how bright I could dye my white OLF. I'm thinking pink or orange most likely. Or maybe a really "un-natural" Carolina blue or something.

Any ideas or input?

Thanks!

it won't really make it brighter at all, just a different color that may be easier for you to see, based on your preference. personally, when i'm dyeing discs, i like to start with white or clear discs to have a clean template to dye on.