• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Questions about dyeing

it won't really make it brighter at all, just a different color that may be easier for you to see, based on your preference. personally, when i'm dyeing discs, i like to start with white or clear discs to have a clean template to dye on.

So here's a pic of the Orion LF and a pic. of an Orange Buzzz that suits my color tastes. Could dyeing OLF the right color orange have this drastic of an affect on the color?

picture.php

Just be sure to use your sharpest blade and very little pressure. Easy to do with the right vinyl, but contact paper can be a trick because of its thickness, requiring more pressure.
One of my first glow disc has some pretty deep gashes, as I double layer the mask to ensure a good seal under the time and heat needed for dyeing DX glow plastic. I pressed too hard and cut the disc. I don't think this would be tourney legal, even after a little buffing.
Alas, this is how we learn. :D
You mentioned double masking. You put two layers of vinyl on at a time?

so does ESP not take to dye well? (bad choice)

um... sorry zenbot I would have to disagree. Though ESP takes the dye very well, it does not hold on to the dye well. Within a week you will see fading. Within a month it will hardly look as it did once before. All the colors will still be there, but they will be very dull instead of the nice prominent colors it once had. I have even re-dyed to sharpen a disc back up, but again faded in a month.

So here's a pic of the Orion LF and a pic. of an Orange Buzzz that suits my color tastes. Could dyeing OLF the right color orange have this drastic of an affect on the color?

picture.php

Anyone have any opinions on getting results like this by dyeing a disc?

um... sorry zenbot I would have to disagree. Though ESP takes the dye very well, it does not hold on to the dye well. Within a week you will see fading. Within a month it will hardly look as it did once before. All the colors will still be there, but they will be very dull instead of the nice prominent colors it once had. I have even re-dyed to sharpen a disc back up, but again faded in a month.
I'm at the 2 week mark and there is very little difference in color. I kind of thought that there would be more blurring because ESP does feel softer but so far all is well. I'll keep you posted in another 2 weeks if I don't sell the disc first.

Quick question... I just put a SSS Warlock into black dye... how does this plastic take dye? i want a rich deep black but the plastic seems really porous. its been in there for 3 minutes now.

at least a half hour...an hour+ is ideal for soft plastics

it may not come out black because it's not "premium" grade plastic, it most likely will be charcoal/grey colored

sweet. thanks. never tried this plastic but the disc is red and would look good with a deep black dye. ill post a pic if it comes out good... this is my fourth or fifth time to dye. getting better i think.

I have no vinyl or design to make on the disc, I just want to turn a perfectly blank, clear disc into all black.

The problem is, I live at my parents very nice house, and there is no utility sink nor anywhere I could safely dump the dye.

Can I dump it down the bathtub drain and then just Comet or Bleach the splatter?

Or is there a way that I can dye my disc solidly colored in the washer?

I tried a clothing dye, which was way too weak, but there is a POly version of this particular dye (whose name I can't remember), which says it's for nylon and polyester.

Anyways, is there an alternative way for someone who can't do it at a sink?

thnx

I've done 2 dyes now. One was on star plastic. The other on ESP flx. Both have faded to a dull blackish grey and look kinda blurred like an old persons tattoo. What is the definative method for dying? Alcohol/rit mix painted on or some method of boiled rit and soaking? I boiled the rit, waited 10 minutes to let it cool a bit then put the disc in for about 15-20 min.

Dyes will fade and blur over time. Try to avoid heating/cooling cycles by not keeping your bag in a vehicle, vehicle trunk, or garage(if not climate controlled).

doing a cool water rinse after taking the disc out of the dye pot makes the colors set deeper, minimizing fading. dont forget to rinse!

sorry for teh neophyte question but ive never dyed before and i'd like to try it. so whats needed to get started dyeing?

pot...how deep?

any other equipment?

which dye brand?

whats the process? so far i've read to heat the dye then let it cool. then soak the disc. but how long?

can you paint it on?

Latest posts