• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Quick Putting

Played a tourney round with a dude that would drive with his bag off, but upshot's and putts, even jumpers, with his bag on. It was some MVP backpack. He just plays quick and that's how he always practiced and that's how he consistently plays. Was strange to see, but you do you.

I'm not quick. But not slow. I like to step up, and take a second to get focused. I try to also practice that way in the yard. Focus, but not too long.

I still miss a lot. But, oh well.

No offense, but who cares if you don't actually play with other peeps? Carry on whatever way you want, but you are setting yourself back if you are trying to get better.

I also don't understand why peeps who always play alone, come and post here. If you want to talk about the game, no better place than on the course with some playing companions.

Playing with others does not improve your game or hinder it in any way.

Literally the stupidest thing I've read on here.. if you want feedback on how to improve then people will ask others to critique them. If they don't care enough, then that probably means they are playing for fun which should be the end goal here.

My buddy and I are really noted as being 'quick' players, both at putting and otherwise. I'd be surprised if I ever took longer than 10 to 15 seconds from when it was 'my turn'. And that would be when I came across something unexpected. We almost always know as we walk to our lie what the likely disc selection and throw is going to be, so why complicate things?

The drawback for me is tournament play. It really messes with my mojo to wait on somebody who executes a 'routine' for every. single. throw. ...that takes ALL (or more) of their allotted 30 seconds... ...even for every tap-in and tee shot. The four + hour rounds really get to me. Backups on half the holes, sometimes as long as 15 or 20 minutes. I get really tired of that stuff. This is supposed to be fun. :)

The exact reason why I play mostly solo and bypass tournaments!

Literally the stupidest thing I've read on here.. if you want feedback on how to improve then people will ask others to critique them. If they don't care enough, then that probably means they are playing for fun which should be the end goal here.
I feel like Ranger Smith all of a sudden...

Don't feed the trolls, folks. If you feed them, they just keep coming back.

I feel like Ranger Smith all of a sudden...

Don't feed the trolls, folks. If you feed them, they just keep coming back.

Sadly, I don't think that person is trolling.

There's a difference between trying to get a rise out of someone by actual trollolololing and then actually sounding like an IRL angry person whose just trying to pick a fight with a random internet stranger cause their life sucks.

No offense, but who cares if you don't actually play with other peeps? Carry on whatever way you want, but you are setting yourself back if you are trying to get better.

I also don't understand why peeps who always play alone, come and post here. If you want to talk about the game, no better place than on the course with some playing companions.

Interesting; yes, i am likely setting myself back by putting with the pack on, but if i take 30 seconds each hole to set down my bag and putt, that's 9 minutes i lose on that lunch break (remember, i play at lunch). Yes, that has crippled me in my limited tournament play, as i freeze up when 3-4 other players are staring at me as i short-arm a 12 foot putt. The comment about posting here is dumb. People play for different reasons. I like the quiet, meditative feeling of a solo round, and my life flow limits weekend play. To each their own, but there is value in reaching out in a forum to expand my knowledge. Perhaps your history as a ball golfer explains the exclusionary language. Lemme guess, you belong to a country club? :|

Don't think twice about BGC's comments. It's kind of like a form of
"Internet ass-burgers" with him.

He can't help it. For every semi rational thought, BGC has to blurt out something offensive, demeaning, and/or confrontational.

I think OP might actually be onto something.

It's like summit training but for disc golf.. or how some armed forces will run with a heavy pack on their backs as a way to train for battle.

I play slow as molasses in January and playing casual is actually stressful; always somebody crawling up my back, throwing on me, wanting to play through, hurry, hurry, hurry.

We have jobs and kids to tend to, our wives expect us back in under 2 hours, if we wanted a 4 hour round we would play bolf grandpa :p

Playing with others most definitely can help in your tournament game. All these guys who always play alone repeatedly come here and speak as IF the pace of tourneys throws them completely off. WHY WOULD ANYONE CARE WHAT SOMEONE DOES IF THEY ARE BASICALLY JUST GOING OUT FOR A WALK IN THE PARK, NOT COMPETING, ETC.?

I'm the exact opposite. My putting isn't great to begin with, but it is abysmal with my bag on. I always miss low, no matter what, unless I think about it, and then I miss high. It's definitely worth it to take the bag off every time for me, both score-wise and time-wise.

I also played like 8 years before I ever got a bag (or a putter :eek:) so maybe that has something to do with it.

Was Ron Russell the fast Brad Hammock or was Brad Hammock the slow Ron Russell?

Was Ron Russell the fast Brad Hammock or was Brad Hammock the slow Ron Russell?

I don't know but I saw the 2 of them almost come to blows once during an event. Brad was right up under Ron's chin barking at him and Ron was looking straight down at him- it was like a Jack Russell and a Great Dane. Hilarious. Not sure what they were arguing over- I was in a different group on an adjacent hole.

I don't know but I saw the 2 of them almost come to blows once during an event. Brad was right up under Ron's chin barking at him and Ron was looking straight down at him- it was like a Jack Russell and a Great Dane. Hilarious. Not sure what they were arguing over- I was in a different group on an adjacent hole.
That's completely ridiculous.

There's no way Brad could get "right up" under Ron's chin.

:D

Playing with others most definitely can help in your tournament game. All these guys who always play alone repeatedly come here and speak as IF the pace of tourneys throws them completely off. WHY WOULD ANYONE CARE WHAT SOMEONE DOES IF THEY ARE BASICALLY JUST GOING OUT FOR A WALK IN THE PARK, NOT COMPETING, ETC.?

This. Is. Whack.

Maybe we like talking to others who enjoy playing disc golf and relating to each other's own unique experiences?

The real question is why does it bug you if some of us choose to have this conversation?

Why are you YELLING on a forum about disc golf? Yelling about someone else's benign choices that do not impact you in any way?

We have jobs and kids to tend to, our wives expect us back in under 2 hours, if we wanted a 4 hour round we would play bolf grandpa :p
Oh, my wife expects me back in an hour and 1/2. This is part of the reason why I play slow as molasses. :| The kids are old enough that they just frolf with me.

M.J. Putts pretty quick.

I find that I putt better quick. It usually takes me 3 to 5 seconds Once I get my stance, I look at the basket, look down and look back up and fire. When I think about it too long, that's when my brain starts messing with my muscle memory.

The only time I take a little longer is if the putt is obstructed or well into circle two.

And I play a lot of rounds alone too, so bite me too BGC!

I get in trouble when I think too much. When I walk up to the putt, I have my disc in hand, I toe the mark and unless something changes (usually the wind), I throw. If the putt is up hill, I may take my hat off. I do the same with other shots.

Latest posts