• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Raising Them Right

My son does not really throw yet. He prefers to use his favorite mini as a teething toy for now...

yeah my son does the same thing right now too. I'm just waiting for the day that mini comes flying out of the play pen. I think my wife will sob inconsolably for a few days though (what with two boys throwing discs in the house :eek:.)

yeah my son does the same thing right now too. I'm just waiting for the day that mini comes flying out of the play pen. I think my wife will sob inconsolably for a few days though (what with two boys throwing discs in the house :eek:.)

The next milestone for disc golf kids is smooshing their faces against Opto/Champion plastic. any father here knows exactly what I am talking about.
(sorry if this shows up 3 times, I am having computer issues)

And one more set. Disc Golf has become something that I do with my kids. Once or twice a year I take the two older boys with me on a DG road trip. We've gone to Kansas City, Springfield (MO and IL), Indiana, Cincinnati, parts of Kentucky and Iowa. The 7 year old is good for a day-trip (as long as we eat slimjims and drink gatorade, which is why he goes sometimes), has a decent backhand and forehand, and a pretty solid roller. He does get bored and winds up shooting zombies with sticks towards the end, but still...
And the baby just likes to throw stuff and be outside. (dads, let me tell you, save the gym membership money. Put on a full tourney bag, load up a stroller with kid included and go play a hilly course. Crossfit? More like holy sh!t, will you break a sweat and get the heart rate up!)

Attachments

• DSC00942.jpg
    DSC00942.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC01103.jpg
    DSC01103.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 27
  • IMAG0891.jpg
    IMAG0891.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 26
The next milestone for disc golf kids is smooshing their faces against Opto/Champion plastic. any father here knows exactly what I am talking about.

HA! And again sir, HA!

Attachments

• IMAG0563.jpg
    IMAG0563.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 45
For those of you with pre-schoolers and toddlers, get a mini-basket ($25 or less). They'll go nuts with it. Guaranteed.

For those of you with pre-schoolers and toddlers, get a mini-basket ($25 or less). They'll go nuts with it. Guaranteed.

I just bought the Innova mini-basket for my son, but it cost me $90. Where are the $25 baskets???

Here is my then 2 year old with my bag over his shoulders. Thought this would make a cute ad for Phenix
jonahbag.jpg

My two year old girl loves to throw discs. I can't hardly take her into PITA because she wants every disc. When her little brother was 1 month old, she informed her mom that "Dustin is going to play disc golf with daddy when he gets bigger. I think she really gets it. Makes me so proud.

Whammo baskets are at Target for $25

I think Wal-Mart carries them, and I just saw them on Amazon for about $18. It's a plastic basket but it works fine for the purpose. Plus they can carry it around----which they will.

My nephew just turned 5. He's been playing with it since he was 1. Now he designs courses in the house, moving the basket and designating a tee for each new hole.

I guess it depends on your region. Our Walmarts carry nothing disc golf, but Target has them and even a few cheap starter discs. I bet the Walmarts out west carry them though.

My boys have been around Disc Golf since first born. I pulled them in a wagon while walking flat courses until they were able to walk. They throw discs almost every day. My 7 year-old rang the chains earlier this year on a 180' hole...almost an ace.

My nine-now-ten-year old played her first round of disc golf before I did. :) She has a little custom embroidered pink NutSac and four discs, including a Diamond, and asked to go with ME the other day when it wasn't terribly nice out.

She's pretty small for her age... ;)

Last edited:
I've posted vids of my little ripper before, but here she is again:

We're working on putting these days. She gets SO SERIOUS when lining up a putt that it's ridiculous. My parents were in town for my son's birthday a couple weeks ago, and when we went shopping grandma asked her what she wanted, and my daughter said a DG bag! So we got her a little Innova starter bag for her and her brother's discs.

Little bro is pure OAT right now, he just powers the disc out there, but he just turned 6 so I'm not doing anything but letting him throw stuff for now.

4-Year Old Lefty Prodigy

My son is 4 (well, will be Dec. 31st) and is a dominate left-handed child of awesomeness!

Since my boyfriend and I play all the time he gets to join us. We never force him to play, but he likes to! He has a 125g DX Roc and a max weight magnet that he uses. He can bust the roc 60-70 feet! He also likes to throw "rollers" and he's pretty darn good at it! He alway has to yell "Roller!!" when he throws it.

We won't ever force the game on him but if he decides he wants to take it up more as he gets older, you can bet he will have the best plastic and the best support system!

My daughter will be 7 in January. She has been playing for about a year and a half. She loves to come and play with me almost any time. She is starting to get her 105g Polecat out to 50-60 feet. I just took her to a new course that neither of us had played before and she was so excited! Its really fun to be able to share this sport with my child, now if only I could get the wife to play...

We have been studying properties of matter in my K class at school. So, I brought some discs in, and the examined them, wrote about and drew the observable characteristics (Have to prove it was actually scholastic in nature). Thennnnn, brought them out in the yard and threw them six kids at a time. It's really amazing how fast they can learn at 5 or 6. they all got a half dozen throws or so, and it was so fun to see how excited they were. They probably had a faster learning curve than my teenage sons or I :)

My daughter's first time on the course 1 year ago. Unfortunately I had to get a job and didn't get much playing time with her this year.

Latest posts