• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Raleigh and Wilmington areas

BigAl724

Par Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I'll be driving to Wilmington this coming week and passing through Raleigh, coming from the Pittsburgh area. The main courses I want to hit up are Rock Ridge on the way down and of course Castle Hayne once I get down there. I'll have time to play one other course in each of those cities, with possibly enough time to play three courses total in the Wilmington area.

So my questions are:

What is the best course to play near in the "Triangle" area? I was thinking Apex Nature Park because it's the most on the way from Rock Ridge but Buckhorn and UNC look promising too. As far as pure better course, which one of those three do you recommend the most? Since I'm playing Rock Ridge, it'd be nice to get a little bit of variety from just tight, technical woods, but I'd rather play the best course in that area too. Also, do any of the courses have major navigational issues?

Which is the best course south of Castle Hayne? It looks like Arrowhead, but that seems to get very busy. Are all the courses in Wilmington busy?

I'll actually be staying closer to Jacksonville than Wilmington, but I want to make sure I play Castle Hayne. If I only have time for one more course, should I play Northeast instead any of the Wilmington courses?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Last edited:
Wilmington

Joe eakes course at kure beach is the next best course after castle hayne. Totally different style due to sand fairways and you can see the ocean from hole #1s teebox. Arrowhead is currently only 12 holes right now (major construction)

I'd go:

1) Buckhorn
2) Rock Ridge
3) UNC

RR is really good but it's getting a bit jungle-ly. There are a couple of holes that need tweaking and fairway line defining to be reconciled with Houck's design. Also, RR is a bit of a navigational pickle in spots, read one of the reviews for help. I still love it though. Buckhorn is just great and beautiful this time of year. If I had to play just one of these courses and time/ease of navigation was an issue I'd pick Buckhorn. Jones Park in Holly Springs is a great 9-holer (full 18 holes coming but not likely done by your trip) and not far from Buckhorn either.

Castle Hayne is great and I second the Joe Eakes recommendation. I haven't played Arrowhead since they redesigned it (told more fun) but it's a short, pitch and putt type course regardless. Eakes isn't life-changing but it's neat beach terrain and tough on a windy day. Haven't played Cougar Country but I hear it's alright. If you don't mind driving N to New Bern for a day Glenbernie is lots of fun. Hit Barnet in Kinston and maybe Kiwanis in Goldsboro on your way back.

Brotherdave nails it. I am out of town early in the week, but if ypu want to hit Buckhorn, UNC or Rock Ridge on Thursday afternoon or sometime Friday I could guide you. Rock Ridge is the most well balanced and challenging of those, but Buckhorn has water and UNC has some variety so they are all good on their own way. PM if you need some help.

Thanks for the info and for the offer to guide. We'll be stopping through the Raleigh area on Wednesday afternoon. Most likely will play Rock Ridge and Buckhorn. Then Castle Hayne on Thursday and whatever else we have time for in the area. Might end up just playing those three.

I'd play Castle more than once if time permits, it's that good.

I only played it once; New Years Day two years ago in the pouring rain. I still had a blast and had I not had to drive an hour south to meet up with my wife I would have played another in the rain.

Latest posts