• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Raleigh NC

superberry

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I'm travelling to Raleigh for work the week of Nov 8-12. I may have an afternoon free one or two days, but no day long disc golf extravaganza. Where should I play? I love challenging, and quiet parks. Water, elevation, woods, etc.

I've contemplated heading south to Charlotte, and possibly the IDGC if I stay into the weekend. Any suggestions there, or must stops on the way?

Shameless Plug for Zebulon DGC; definitely one of the best in the area, 15 miles east of Raleigh. Buckhorn is also quiet, fun, and challenging. In the afternoons, Cedar Hills and Kentwood will be busy. Kentwood is short/quick/fun mids and putters and Cedar has a decent mix of holes. Usually you can play the last two I mentioned relatively quick...depends on the traffic.

Zeb is a great course and def. worth that 15 mile drive. Same for Buckhorn. Go get yourself some dinner and drop by Kentrock for a quick 35-40 minute putterfest.

Between Charlotte and Raleigh, Fox Chase is one that's been on my wishlist for a while. As far as Charlotte courses, just do a search for the 28208 zip.

I agree with Biscoe. Buckhorn from the longs will work you and if you go out there in the middle of the day you will be the only person there.

Buckhorn, check
Zebulon, check.

How about Cedar Hills?
Then UNC and Cedarock if I have time??

Raleigh

Yes, UNC is better. And not too far away from UNC you have several lesser courses if you have time for more than 1 round. Leigh Farm, So Community and Anderson. Valley Spring up in Durham will give you a good wooded challenge from the longs.

Basically you need more than an afternoon or two. I would recommend at least 3 days in Raleigh area and probably another week to cover Charlotte and that area! Good luck.

The must play in the area is Buckhorn.

Second for me would be CedarRock which has an open rolling course and a short wooded course Wellspring. Nothing else like it in NC. It's hard to beat 36 holes in one park if you are traveling with time limitations.

The IDGC is a must play for the southeast US.

Charlotte cannonball run?

So, those familar with the courses and area, I' contemplating an all day run in Charlotte. If I disc sun up to sun down (PDGA Blue level player, plays 925-950 casually and much faster than tourneys), can I get in...

Reedy Creek
Nevin
Sugaw
Hornets nest
Renny
Elon

I've listed them in my order of preference, and would ditch Elon if I had to.

I've printed maps and the CDGA caddy guide book. You guys shoudl check the 'Links/Files' tabs on the Charlotte courses - AMAZING!

Yeah, those guys are bad a$$. Dave242 began that, and they've continued. I don't know of a more inspired group anywhere. Try to hook up with Huey from here. He designed Nevin and does a ton down there.

Get a hold of bikinjack. He knows them all and is a great guide. Fun to play with, and will play with pace if need be. sounds like a real vigorous day. Nevin is a beast. I play somewhat fast, and Nevin is still a long round. I'd play Elon Long over Sugaw, but they are close. Hornett's Nest and Renny are must plays. If you could get 2 days, there is Stumpy up north and some other courses you should play. Enjoy, it is a Mecca!!

BikinJack guided us around Nevin and was a good host and a good guy. I would get in touch with him for sure.

I'm awfully worried about overall length of the day. I want to get 5 courses in to make it worth my while. Will a guide help speed, or will two players (or more) slow things down???

guide?

Let me know when your free days are -- I play Buckhorn everyday and know all the courses around Raleigh. If you want a guide for a round or 3 let me know. I'm available just about anytime everyday... it's called being retired and lovin it.

Royal