• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Range for Putting, Mid and Driving

trevorn

Hi everyone,

This might be a weird question but....
What would you say is the range for putting, Mid and Drives? Example 0-50' putt 50-150 mid etc...
My course has tee ranges usually from 250'-320' I usually use a driver from the Tee and then a mid for anything usually around 30' + from the basket. No clue if this is good or not lol

I'd say 250' and in for your putter, 250'-325' with your mids, and drivers for everything else. I know it sounds outrageous if you're used to throwing a mid from 30' and out, but trust me when I say that this is the range you should be shooting for. Players with great form and good power can get putters out to 350' and beyond, so my numbers are actually conservative. Check out the "Discing Down Adventures" thread for lots more info.

Edit: I'd recommend using the search feature, this is a widely discussed topic and people will generally ignore your post or flame you for asking a question that has been asked dozens upon dozens of times

Last edited:
all these questions/answers are going to change for all the different situations. If there is alot or no wind, Tight gaps, low ceilings. I dont believer there are specific distances you have to need to use a specific type of disc. It is more a feel and knowing what your discs will do when you throw them for specific shots.

It IS okay to throw putters hard (and far), you just have to get the technique down. Try and use your putter for every shot 100' and in and work up from there. They're the most accurate short range disc because they don't go skipping or flying past the hole.

What type of putter do you have?

Going back to just a putter is great for those hardcore..."all I do is play disc golf"..."You should throw a putter and a midrange over 300'. I bet every one of those m'fers disc down because they cannot get their drivers to go where they want. Looking for the reason why not.I can throw my putter over 200' but when I'm in that situation I want a fairway driver cutting throught the air. I reach for a driver over 250' not my buzz. I want to have fun and I truly love the flight of a high speed driver through the air....The dudes that do not have anything else to do can work on their distance with their putter. I prefer to get that easy 350' with my Katana and work on my skills so I can throw it 400. It's golf, disc golf, but golf. When have you ever seen Tiger 200' out reach for his putter....he might hit a pitching wedge....but it's the flight. the feel. You can disc down all you want. Feel Superior. Feel Righteous....but it's golf....bring it on the course. Do what it takes to make you feel happy. make you smile. Don't let some dude online tell you that you should be throwing a midrange for 2 years when I put 5 dollars against a night with your mom that dude has a box of drivers under his bed that he could not throw. Worry about yourself, and your game, and your fun. Get out throw. Live life. Feel it.

Going back to just a putter is great for those hardcore..."all I do is play disc golf"..."You should throw a putter and a midrange over 300'. I bet every one of those m'fers disc down because they cannot get their drivers to go where they want. Looking for the reason why not.I can throw my putter over 200' but when I'm in that situation I want a fairway driver cutting throught the air. I reach for a driver over 250' not my buzz. I want to have fun and I truly love the flight of a high speed driver through the air....The dudes that do not have anything else to do can work on their distance with their putter. I prefer to get that easy 350' with my Katana and work on my skills so I can throw it 400. It's golf, disc golf, but golf. When have you ever seen Tiger 200' out reach for his putter....he might hit a pitching wedge....but it's the flight. the feel. You can disc down all you want. Feel Superior. Feel Righteous....but it's golf....bring it on the course. Do what it takes to make you feel happy. make you smile. Don't let some dude online tell you that you should be throwing a midrange for 2 years when I put 5 dollars against a night with your mom that dude has a box of drivers under his bed that he could not throw. Worry about yourself, and your game, and your fun. Get out throw. Live life. Feel it.

More people need to follow this advice!

Well, we're assuming that he wants to improve his technique since he's posting a question on this site. I'm not saying that it's going to be easy learning to crack 250' with a putter, but in the long run you will be much better off if you learn how to both drive and approach with a putter. Very, very few top pros would throw a driver or even a midrange under 300'. I agree that things like wind, line shape, and ceiling height can change disc choice drastically, but my mindset is that if I can reach it with a putter, then I will always reach for the putter. I will guarantee that it will be easier in the short term to keep "discing up," but if you want long term gains, then you should start with solid fundamentals. I can't tell you how much I wish that I had learned about this topic earlier in my "career." It was a full year of hacking my way through the course with speed 9+ drivers until I really started to try and stretch my mids and putter out. You will gain control and accuracy and the slower discs tend to not be as punishing when you throw with the nose up or get off line. In general, they will stop closer to where they land and will skip less dramatically.

I agree with Chow in the fact that enjoying the sport comes before everything. You decide your level of commitment, and as long as you play by the rules and have fun there is no wrong way to play. However, if you want to excel at this sport, it usually takes more than just going out and throwing for fun. There are lots of really knowledgeable people on this site that can chime in with a lot more authority on the topic than me, and trust me when I say that you will get better if you follow their advice and work on your game.

I want to have fun and I truly love the flight of a high speed driver through the air....The dudes that do not have anything else to do can work on their distance with their putter.

And you don't love the flight of this Aviar? I would be having fun if I threw that shot.

I like your spirit, because there is a lot of nonsense advice thrown around... but putters can be deadly accurate --- because Science said so.

Last edited:
When have you ever seen Tiger 200' out reach for his putter....
Never. Tiger plays a different game than we do. His putters are a specially made device made exclusively for rolling a ball along the ground into a hole in the ground. Outside of the green, his putters are useless. Not so in our sport which despite sharing the name "golf" and the basic objective of completing an obstacle filled course in as few of strokes as possible is a completely different animal when it comes to proper technique and learning mechanics. Apples and oranges.

But since you wanted to cite what one of the best in his profession does, why don't you see what Ken Climo, Nate Doss or any top DG pro would suggest at 200' or 300'. I guarantee you that you're going to find not a single one of them suggesting anything beyond a midrange at those distances.

Actually you disc down because if you throw slower discs your errors are decreased. You may give up 15 feet of distance, but you are more likely to have your next shot be in the fairway.

$5 for a night with his mom is just an insult.

More people need to follow this advice!

If only I could decipher this jumbled wall of text. :rolleyes:

This isn't golf, it's disc golf. When you can push a putter out to 275-300'+ it opens up a world shots and possibilities. Sorry Chow, but you are just dispensing bad advice.

Also:

trap.jpg

If only I could decipher this jumbled wall of text. :rolleyes:

This isn't golf, it's disc golf. When you can push a putter out to 275-300'+ it opens up a world shots and possibilities. Sorry Chow, but you are just dispensing bad advice.

I get what he's saying though. It seems like the general consensus on this site is less is more, but I can see why people would get frustrated with that because they do something different. In this case, it would be discing up.

Since I'm a newer player myself, I'm doing alot of trial and error as well. It's easy to take the driver over the putter and mid when you know you're getting more than 100' more distance. I think it depends on the course. The course I usually play at would just be plain dumb trying to throw putters and mids for 600' holes. There is another much shorter course locally, and I've been meaning to try a putter only round there. I say if it works for you, do it.

i'm sure many will disagree with me, but i think these are realistic numbers for a beginner.

putters 150'
mids 235
fairway drivers 300'
distance drivers >300'

i know that conditions and everything come into play. but i was well past these numbers, then i shattered my throwing hand, and had to get back to basics. i i have found that these are respectable, common place numbers. especially if you are a casual player. i do agree with the whole "discing down" idea. you do get more control with a lower speed disc, but you have to be comfortable with the throw you are making.

i'm sure many will disagree with me, but i think these are realistic numbers for a beginner.

putters 150'
mids 235
fairway drivers 300'

I'd bump that mid to about 250 and I'd agree with that. In fact, that's just about where I am.

This has been talked about before but I believe the guidelines are around:

Driver: 100% of distance
Mids: 85% of driver distance
Putters: 50% of driver distance

I get what he's saying though. It seems like the general consensus on this site is less is more, but I can see why people would get frustrated with that because they do something different. In this case, it would be discing up.

Since I'm a newer player myself, I'm doing alot of trial and error as well. It's easy to take the driver over the putter and mid when you know you're getting more than 100' more distance. I think it depends on the course. The course I usually play at would just be plain dumb trying to throw putters and mids for 600' holes. There is another much shorter course locally, and I've been meaning to try a putter only round there. I say if it works for you, do it.

I get the gist of what he's saying but he's still emphatically wrong according to how he worded his argument. The thing is, it's not that hard to throw a putter at least 250', it really isn't. It just takes a little practice and some Beto viewing. And for a 600' hole, I can toss my Ions around 275' most days so two good throws leaves me a whopping 10' shy of the basket. :\

Almost every single one of these "I can get 350' easy with my Katana" people need to google earth their actual distance b/c they're living a lie.

I get the gist of what he's saying but he's still emphatically wrong according to how he worded his argument. The thing is, it's not that hard to throw a putter at least 250', it really isn't. It just takes a little practice and some Beto viewing. And for a 600' hole, I can toss my Ions around 275' most days so two good throws leaves me a whopping 10' shy of the basket. :\

Almost every single one of these "I can get 350' easy with my Katana" people need to google earth their actual distance b/c they're living a lie.

Check your math. You would still be a whopping 50'. Sorry to be a stickler for detail, but that is a world of difference from 10', especially in putting. That's my point.

When it comes down to it, I really don't care about what is right and what is wrong. I'll play what keeps my scores lowest. It's not like out of nowhere, I'll plateau and cease improvement just because I started tossing fairway drivers before I could beast a putter 200'.

Hi everyone,

This might be a weird question but....
What would you say is the range for putting, Mid and Drives? Example 0-50' putt 50-150 mid etc...
My course has tee ranges usually from 250'-320' I usually use a driver from the Tee and then a mid for anything usually around 30' + from the basket. No clue if this is good or not lol

Mostly the replies that you've gotten are refering to max distance. On a more practical note, I consider anything less than about 50' to be putting. I carry a disc just for this. However I also carry a driving putter that I'll throw out to about 150'. Mids take over from there. As for drivers, I rarely throw them anymore. Mostly because I no longer have the arm for them.