• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rank em: Top 10 most overstable drivers

1) Z Xtreme
2) Champ/Ce viper
3) Flat Glow FB
4) First run opto xXx
5) Flat/stiff current FB
6) 11x FB
7) Champ Whippet-X
8) Max
9) Monster-x
10) Nuke OS

grodney, Tachyon 4.1 was me. It still holds its own against all the new stuff. Newer disc golfers probably have never even seen much less thrown them. I can't believe I left the Ram off my list. I love that disc. Took a drop in 4 on hole 5 at USDGC on 4 Ram shots. Big S shot over the road, big hyzer, big hyzer over lake, drop in putt all with a Ram. Even had the pleasure of having Sam Ferrans comment on my tee shot, "That's a wild Ram shot!"

Here's my list of the most OS discs I've thrown, though I agree with everyone who is saying this is highly subjective:

1. C-PD2 (do not confuse these with P- or S- line)
2. Champ Monster
3. Metal Flake Champ Firebird (flat and stiff)
4. XXX
5. Z Predator (flat, stiff)

I don't know that I can go 10...there's too many discs that would tie IMO. These just stand out to me.

Here's my list of OS discs I've actually thrown.

1. FR Z-Nuke OS
2. Flat top Champ FB
3. Flat top Opto Trident
4. Predator
5. Non flat top champ FB.
6. Sparkle Giant
7. Force
8. SDS Destroyer
9. C-PD
10. New champ banshee?

I've thrown an XXX, but from all of the others I know who've thrown it, mine was a freak less stable one.

1) Original Z Xtreme
1.5) EVO Test Spirit [1.5 because it's just as OS as the xtreme, but faster, and I think the speed adds to the OS, personally, so ties go to the slower disc]
3) First Run Nuke OS
4) The new pancake-flat, brick-hard Firebirds.
5) Z Flick
6) Max
7) Ape
8) 2012 Sparkle CFR Champ Krait (We got one in 180g that is absurdly OS)
9) XXX
10) Certain Star Destroyers (Pandemonium 2 had a few that would have bumped to # 3-4 on this list)

You spelled Pandamonium wrong. :D

i agree with booter... champion viper.
z extreme next, i've never thrown any of the off brand contenders though.
max is the most os thing i keep in my bag.

I've never thrown a disc more overstable than the Test run Evo Spirits that I have. More than an Xtreme, Ape, Nuke OS, Firebird, etc. This thing is crazy flat and will meat hook into any strong headwind.

/edit Craton knows :)

Last edited:
@ horsemanm

Try a z force, you'll never need another headwind driver.

I throw PD's, a speed 10 disc as my go to distance driver but bagged a New z force for my tourney last week just in case. Well, I have a small arm, throwing a speed 12 disc into a 15mph headwind, released on hyzer for a 350' slow hyzer shot, figured it'd flip up a bit...NOT the case. Sailed wayyyyyy right into the woods, I took a 5 on what is an "open" hole. Therefore, the list IMO:
1) Z flick
2) MF Firebird
3) 12x flat top firebird
4) 11x kcp banshee
5) Bottom Stamped destroyer

However, I haven't thrown many OS discs

My buddy has a (once a mystery) Evo Spirit...and after the comments I think its a test run. SUPER FLAT and clear plastic. We thought it was a Flick at first its so flat.
Anyway....that particular disc is by far the craziest stable thing ive ever seen in the air. This kid (RHBH) hyzer-flips Xcals out past 550' and flips over Apes into rollers believe it or not...and this clear flat Spirit, on his hardest force-annys, still meat-hooks and maxes out at 300' (and 200' to the left lol). Nutty disc.

Edit: He also has a super stiff pop-top Dyemax Star Xcal that is just as overstable. "Pointlessly overstable" as he puts it.

My buddy has a (once a mystery) Evo Spirit...and after the comments I think its a test run. SUPER FLAT and clear plastic. We thought it was a Flick at first its so flat.
Anyway....that particular disc is by far the craziest stable thing ive ever seen in the air. This kid (RHBH) hyzer-flips Xcals out past 550' and flips over Apes into rollers believe it or not...and this clear flat Spirit, on his hardest force-annys, still meat-hooks and maxes out at 300' (and 200' to the left lol). Nutty disc.

Edit: He also has a super stiff pop-top Dyemax Star Xcal that is just as overstable. "Pointlessly overstable" as he puts it.

Dang, good to know there are more than one of these out there. Ricta has 2, and is generously letting me borrow one for GBO. With those winds, I anticipate at least one "WTFrolf WAS THAT!?"

Ya, Evo Spirits and Z Xtremes are the most overstable things I have ever thrown. Pretty much useless unless you have like a 100mph headwind.

grodney, Tachyon 4.1 was me. It still holds its own against all the new stuff. Newer disc golfers probably have never even seen much less thrown them. I can't believe I left the Ram off my list. I love that disc. Took a drop in 4 on hole 5 at USDGC on 4 Ram shots. Big S shot over the road, big hyzer, big hyzer over lake, drop in putt all with a Ram. Even had the pleasure of having Sam Ferrans comment on my tee shot, "That's a wild Ram shot!"

Ha ha, you da man, Forrest.

I had to look up your pdga # to see if you're the same Forrest I was thinking of (like there's a ton of old-school Forrest dgers, right?).

Anyway, speaking of you and the USDGC, I'm sorry that this is the first thing I think of when I hear your name (re: USDGC Hole #1):
usdgc-ryan-1.gif

okay I'll play

Z Xtreme
Champ Viper
Opto xXx
Champ FB
Spirit
older Opto Trident
Champ Monster
VIP Giant
Opto Villain
Z Predator

I can't believe I got 10, the first five in my list can really be interchangeable. The Giant/Villain can move around as well. I guess I could add in the Striker run that induced the first PLH measurement. I got one of the "FB stable" Strikers sheesh.

I want to see pictures of a Ram if anyone has them.

i wanna know if the domey apes are more overstable than the flat ones?
the flat ape i had was more like a os destroyer.

the nuke os' i have i seem to think the flatter the more overstable so i bought a flat ape but it wasnt even close

Champ Ape has the same stability as a Nuke OS, put it up there. The new run Shocks are more stable than both champion firebirds I own. The whippet is a mid-range IMO. X-Caliber may seem to be OS due to it's flight numbers, but they aren't very difficult to flip for someone with good power, I would take them off the list.

This whole post is lulz

I throw PD's, a speed 10 disc as my go to distance driver but bagged a New z force for my tourney last week just in case. Well, I have a small arm, throwing a speed 12 disc into a 15mph headwind, released on hyzer for a 350' slow hyzer shot, figured it'd flip up a bit...NOT the case. Sailed wayyyyyy right into the woods, I took a 5 on what is an "open" hole. Therefore, the list IMO:
1) Z flick
2) MF Firebird
3) 12x flat top firebird
4) 11x kcp banshee
5) Bottom Stamped destroyer

However, I haven't thrown many OS discs

Sorry you had a bad experience. Ive never (ever) flipped a force in any condition sans one time into a 40mph constant wind with 50+ gusts, and it still faded, but had blown so far off course at that point it didnt matter.

*shrugs*

Latest posts