• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rant About Disc Golf Monthly

dashiellx

* Ace Member *
Bit of problem with whoever runs Disc Golf Monthly right now.

At the beginning of the month, they posted their March video, a half hour spotlight on the The 2013 LV Ice Bowl. A few people, including myself commented on the video that it was the second month in a row that the episode was only a half hour rather than the normal full hour. More saying, we wanted more. All those comments were deleted and commenting on the video disabled. No biggie as most of their videos have the comment section disable, I assumed that they had just forgotten to do so when they uploaded.

I was looking for something the other day and noticed that some of their videos were marked private (The 2004 Eric C. Yetter Champions Cup for example). I went to the DGMtv channel page on YouTube and left a comment asking why they were private.

I go back today and notice that my comment had been deleted. I left a message today, asking why my comment had been deleted. Was I rude? And commented that I didn't think it was a good way to interact with their audience.

I come back from lunch and for S&Gs, I go to look at the comment section of their YouTube channel. Lo and behold, not only has my latest comment been deleted, but they've turned off the ability for anyone to leave comments.

WTF?

/Rant.

More often than not, YouTube (and many other sites) comment sections are places for flames and spam. I too have noticed in the past that some of the DGM videos had comments disabled.

But removing your comments? Maybe they don't want public scrutiny up, albeit you provided legitimate and constructive criticism.

Lame that there's no explanation from them thus far.

Disclaimer - I am a fan of DGM's videos, for the most part they are great.

More often than not, YouTube (and many other sites) comment sections are places for flames and spam. I too have noticed in the past that some of the DGM videos had comments disabled.

But removing your comments? Maybe they don't want public scrutiny up, albeit you provided legitimate and constructive criticism.

Lame that there's no explanation from them thus far.

Disclaimer - I am a fan of DGM's videos, for the most part they are great.

I agree lots of time, especially YouTube, comments sections result in flame wars. That's one reason a Web Site I help run we don't allow unmoderated comments. And I can completely understand their not opening their videos up for commenting. They aren't providing a forum to debate technique or players.

If they sent an explanation, I wouldn't have any problem. Even if the reason was "We don't feel like it"

I've been a fan of theirs as well, I've seen almost everyone, which is why this is a bit disconcerting.

How many tournaments are really being played this time of year for them to cover? They're based out of the northeast so the only things really going on are Ice Bowls and honestly how exciting are those to watch? LV ice bowl is probably the biggest and the quality of coverage was lackluster IMHO solely based on the fact it wasn't filiming the top Pros playing. 30 min of watching that was probably 20 min more than I needed to see.

And keep the disc golf monthly is a 1 man show. He videos all the tourneys and yen has to edit and get it ready and then hands it off to cubby. I also know he used to do more tour eye when either the pdga was paying for some of th expensives or other things. Then the pdga decided to partner with disc golf planet tv and pulled the funding

If you're a fan then stop being a PITA on their social media and send them an email with your concerns.
Consider whether you're commenting via YouTube for sheer convenience, or for the mob-rule attention-seeking behavior that has made the "internet comment section" the disposable-communique hellhole that it is.

I say that harshly but truly without judgement on you, because I feel that the world has changed its definition and standards of reasonable communication -- the internet has made instant and public gratification one hell of a drug. It's weird and we've all been affected by it. My input, acknowledge that comments aren't the best way to air your concerns ** IF ** you do want a reasoned response from them, and send an email.

I'm not sure why you have such a gripe with free high quality videos provided by Kevin and is probably operating at a loss on. Also Disc Outfitters was a big DGM sponsor and with them out of business it don't help things, as well as it being winter and no big tourneys in the area. Give the guy a break, or maybe you can start up your own channel and do it better. :\

I'm not sure why you have such a gripe with free high quality videos provided by Kevin and is probably operating at a loss on. Also Disc Outfitters was a big DGM sponsor and with them out of business it don't help things, as well as it being winter and no big tourneys in the area. Give the guy a break, or maybe you can start up your own channel and do it better. :\

:thmbup:

I too have been super disappointed with that channel. This last video didn't have any commentary. Was just thirty people throwing in no particular order with looped music. I would much rather have waited another 2 weeks and had a video following one group with commentary than to watch that.

Or he could just watch one of the many other DG channels out there that are improving and still churning out quality videos of good pro rounds.

Beggars can't be choosers.. They provide very good quality videos on a monthly basis, and from what I've heard, its only 1 guy doing it. Now, without sounding like a rude, it seems the email is the right course of action. Commenting is nice bc its convenient, but it just kind of makes people sound/seem ungrateful.

At least with an email, you can express your concern or questions in a way that seems more like a fan who is just curious whats been going on lately.

Tbh I look forward to every month when a new dgm comes out and I was a little bummed with the short video, but its hard to complain about free. Also, 100+ months is like 8 years.. To put out a vid monthly for 8 years, by yourself is incredible in itself.

C'mon, everyone likes mikec and he only puts out 5 minute videos :) whats the hate for on dgm? :p lol

i think they post here too. i like the videos! i think they would cover the memorial 100x better than those other guys.

ps stop throwing at their camera guy!!! he is always in the line of fire.

I think I may be being misunderstood.

I'm not really complaining about the coverage or what they are covering. I'm disappointed about how they are treating me (their audience). I asked respectful questions and wasn't just ignored, but they actively went out of their way to be disrespectful to me. A simple "They are private because we chose to make them private" I would have accepted, but to take the time to delete my questions and comments is just disrespectful.

I appreciate what they are doing and understand they are probably doing it for free, but that doesn't give them the right to be disrespectful.

As far as making my own channel, while I was a TV/Film major in college, I simply don't have the time with two kids, wife, etc.... I really am a fan of what they are doing. My son and I really look forward to watching each month. I just don't see why they couldn't just answer a simple question.

And all those saying I should just send an email....they don't have a website, public email address or Facebook page. Commenting on YouTube was my last choice.

do you pay for the videos as some type of service? No? Well then build a bridge..

Even if you are their audience its totally at their discretion, don't get offended

Last edited:
Being from the LV, I have to say that the latest disc golf monthly had me in tears laughing. There we all were shanking every drive and hitting every tree. I really found it to be wonderful and I'm not casting aspersions on anyone. Good times at South Mountain.

If you're a fan then stop being a PITA on their social media and send them an email with your concerns.

OH MAN!!!! I wish! people would just do this instead. It makes life on the person you are trying to contact s much easier. From an Online Retailer to the general consumers, I implore you to use your email to contact instead voicing your issues over social media and phone. You have no idea the difference in stress level for the person you are trying to deal with. Email may not be as fast as you want but they say patience is a virtue <shrug>