• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rating 9-holers versus 18-holers

I find it hard to imagine a 9-hole course that I could rate more that 3.5. I've yet to see one even come close.

If I were rating how good a job the course designer did, probably.

But how "good" a course is? That comes back to how much I'd want to play it, all other things being equal. By definition a 9-hole course can't have as much variety as an 18-holer; sure, can play it twice, but there's lots of repetition. Given the choice between a 9-hole course and an 18-hole course, equal distance from me and equally well-designed, I'd MUCH rather play the 18-holer.

When I'm reading the ratings to decide what courses I might want to play, it helps that others rate them similarly. I'd sure hate to go out of my way to play a 4.0-rated course and find only 9 holes.

Thanks for the heads up man! I'm in the Beaverton area too and I didn't know about that new 9-holer.

And I know the boring small courses you're referring to. The 8-holer is Greenway. The 9-holer could be Orchard and others. The 12 is probably Lunchtime. And the 15 is probably Champoeg or whatever it is.

The course that has really caught my eye is just west of Beaverton at Horning's. I recently played the Meadow Ridge course for the first time at HH and that MIGHT be the best in Oregon...might take you almost 3 hours or more to play it though and it's EXTREMELY difficult...but wow.

Hey no prob man. Your dead on with guessing those courses, that's why I also make the journey to the beautiful land that is known as Horning's Hideout! This is without a doubt the most up and coming course in Oregon and it will compete with Milo, Pier and maybe even Whistler's Bend (haven't played that one but looks amazing). Hit me up if you ever want to golf in our area.

I think Red Oak in Burnsville, MN will be a legit 4.0 once they put in the hard surface pads later this year: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=552&mode=rev This was designed to play as 18 holes to 9 baskets (20 to 10 now) with tees numbered accordingly. Its popularity is now off the charts since the redesign. The 9-hole Brockway course not too far away from Red Oak was done the same way and it will get hard surface pads this year also.

^^^^I trust your judgement Chuck, but if the course in overplayed; i.e. crowded; and you're expected to play from two tee sets to make 18 (20); that's gonna bring down it's rating. I like these kind of courses if they're done well; but these days, you need to get to them at like 7 a.m. on a week day morning.

I think Red Oak in Burnsville, MN will be a legit 4.0 once they put in the hard surface pads later this year: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=552&mode=rev This was designed to play as 18 holes to 9 baskets (20 to 10 now) with tees numbered accordingly. Its popularity is now off the charts since the redesign. The 9-hole Brockway course not too far away from Red Oak was done the same way and it will get hard surface pads this year also.

I have to agree with this post and with your previous post. Score the course for the course, not the amount of holes. This is not 18HoleDiscGolfCourseReview. We should be reviewing the course, as a course, not comparing it to other courses and biasing the rating to that. "This was a really fun course, but the 18 hole across the street has 9 more holes, so I'm going to give this one only 2 and a half discs"

RedOak is a great 9/18 and now 10/20 holer that I used to play constantly and am looking forward to playing again when I make a trip up there.

How do you prevent tee conflicts on something like that?
People are still playing only one tee or the other to a specific basket as they progress thru the course. Only when some group jumps on the course is there a potential issue. When a group finishes the front 9/10, they will be at the first hole again and can see whether they need to wait to continue playing the back half.

I see this dual tee 18/9 approach as the new thing for course designers to get the most play out of a course so players don't only flock to the 18s in an area. It's been working better than expected so far in the Twin Cities which has more courses than any metro in the world but maybe just half are 18-holers.

Last edited:

That makes for an interesting point to this point to this conversation. There is a course in Charleston that is under similar circumstances. I haven't played Park Circle in Charleston yet, but it has the same concept. 9 baskets to 18 teepads. I guess what you would have to ask yourself, at least this is how I would approach it, Did I feel like I was playing 18 holes, or did it feel like I was playing the same hole again. This is just my opinion, and how I would approach it. Because THIS is a very grey area, and it would fall back into the opinion of the player. But I go back to my original thought, each course is it's own entity. And should be rated, based on the experience at the course.

Again, IMO, We are just talking about the rating, not the review. The rating should be the sum total of the experience you had at a specific course. Here is my theory on why I use 4 stars instead of 5 on a 9 hole course. You can't have a 5 star experience, unless you have 18+ holes. This is just my theory, or better yet, my formula. I'll reiterate my statement from earlier

A person looks at an 18+ hole course and asks "Give me one reason why I shouldn't play here"
the same person looks at a 9 hole course (or less than 18 holes) and says "Give me one reason why I SHOULD play here?"

Lets face it, anything less than a 18 holes is not going to be a first choice. So with that stigma already attached to it, the majority is not going to take a 5 star rating of a 9 hole course seriously. There may be some, but I'm not writing my review to the few that do. I'm going to write and try to communicate with as big an audience as I can. I'll just accept the fact that there is a few out there that will contest my 3 star rating to a 9 hole course.

That's where the review comes in. I may give it three stars, but if you read my review, you'll see my feelings about the course, my likes and dislikes. So the rating is for the quick glance, the review is for a deeper look.

But... like I said, this just my formula. In general, I think if any sees a 4 star 9 hole course, they will say "Wow, this course might be worth checking out." But, I also think that 30 miles is the limit for driving out to play a 9 hole course. That does not include those stopping off on a trip or going past it already. I'm talking about setting aside the time to go play that one specific course. But, people are more likely to make the drive to play an 18 hole course. I'm trying to find time to drive 80 miles to play castle hayne, but I'm not going to drive 90 miles to play the 9 holer in Florence, SC. If that makes sense.

I think I segued into to two different topics! lol My bad! ;)

Like Posey says, you gotta give some nine holers some fight. I did that by making it a par-2 superclass course. The up-down-right-left variety made Campton a amazing challenge along with being a ton of fun. (as stated, this is something I have done 1 in 236 times - 0.42% of the time). So, I guess I agree with you that it took me going way out of my normal method to find a way to make a 9-holer a 5.0.

Oh and Posey Ching.......what is a Posey Ching? Does it come from a disc golf nursery rhyme?

Ching around the rosey
A pocket full of Posey
Ace runs, ace runs
they all fall down

Posey is a nickname. Ching is the sound always heard from a distance after I tee off.

Hickory dickory dock
Posey made a wrist cock
The clock struck one
Posey released one down
Hickory dickory dock

there is absolutely no margin for error for a 9-holer to get a good rating.

Exactly! And the 9-holers I've seen have limited resources (land) to work with and are geared towards beginners. If only I had a lot of land with trees, hills and water. I'd show ya a 9-holer 5-disc...

I can't believe how wordy I've been. I'll keep this simple. Here are two 9 hole courses that are some of my favorites.

Chautauqua Park in Fairfield Iowa

Fuller Park in Barnwell, SC

On a side note, why not compare this to movies? Does a movie have to be three hours long to be great? Can a move be pretty perfect and yet be an hour and a half?

I was talking about this the other day too. Look at the movie review and rating sites of rottentomatoes.com and metacritic.com. But with all the reviews already written on DGCR, it'd be rough to change to something like that. I think the rating system on DGCR is just fine. The thumbs up and thumbs down is a good tool. Plus, it's pretty easy to identify the reviews that should be taken with a grain of salt.

I was talking about this the other day too. Look at the movie review and rating sites of rottentomatoes.com and metacritic.com. But with all the reviews already written on DGCR, it'd be rough to change to something like that. I think the rating system on DGCR is just fine. The thumbs up and thumbs down is a good tool. Plus, it's pretty easy to identify the reviews that should be taken with a grain of salt.

Exactly!
:thmbup:;)

I can't believe how wordy I've been. I'll keep this simple. Here are two 9 hole courses that are some of my favorites.

Chautauqua Park in Fairfield Iowa

Fuller Park in Barnwell, SC

I've always liked this one just outside of Portland. From the road, the park drops down into a little bowl, secluding it. Has a creek running thru it. It's not a big area but the layout is perfect. Has elevation, some tree holes, doglegs, little bit of distance variety, etc. Not sure what I will rate Herbert Hoover...

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/gallery.php?id=495&mode=gal#

I've always liked this one just outside of Portland. From the road, the park drops down into a little bowl, secluding it. Has a creek running thru it. It's not a big area but the layout is perfect. Has elevation, some tree holes, doglegs, little bit of distance variety, etc. Not sure what I will rate Herbert Hoover...

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/gallery.php?id=495&mode=gal#

That course looks sweet! Too bad I'm on the wrong coast! #3 looks like it would be a fun hole to play!

I'd have to ding them for calling it Frisbee Golf on the sign though! Haha (JK):p;)

Here's a hypothetical: Suppose we take the best hole from each of the top 9 rated courses and combined them into a super 9-holer, would people still have difficulty giving it 4-5's b/c it lacks 9-more holes?

That would be the only 9-holer getting a 5-disc from me. Call it the cock fighter.

That course looks sweet! Too bad I'm on the wrong coast! #3 looks like it would be a fun hole to play!

I'd have to ding them for calling it Frisbee Golf on the sign though! Haha (JK):p;)

I thought the same thing about the sign when I first saw it. At least they have "disc" in the big letters on top. From what i've seen, Oregon (or Portland area) actually has some good 9-12 holers compared to what i've seen in the midwest.

And even though Rooster Rock is really an 18-holer IMO, this "9-holer" is definitely at least a 4-disc in my opinion. Extremely difficult, in the woods. Hole #4 is one of the coolest I've seen. And trust me, the pics on here do not do it justice. And for all you hippy naturists out there, there is a nude beach just down the hill from this one lol. It's a beautiful park right on the big Columbia River.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1775

edit: 360DiscGolfer had a good review on this one...

Last edited:
Winged Deer Park in Johnson City TN was a 4.5 before they expanded it to 18 holes with the additional holes being out of character (and inferior) to the original.

The original course was current holes 1-6, 16-18, and a bonus throw over the parking lot to the practice basket. It has excellent beauty (yes.....Appalachian) and seclusion, up hill, down hill, and around the corner, grass, woods and challenging D (when you factor in the terrain and trees) - 229 uphill, 246, 280, 385, 277, 280, 577, 286, 364, 300-ish

I had it rated a 96 (4.5 discs and 97-100 is A+ = 5.0). I would have gone out of my way to play that course over many decent 18-holers. In fact, I would just play those holes twice for 18 rather than the new holes if I lived in that area.

I thought the same thing about the sign when I first saw it. At least they have "disc" in the big letters on top. From what i've seen, Oregon (or Portland area) actually has some good 9-12 holers compared to what i've seen in the midwest.

And even though Rooster Rock is really an 18-holer IMO, this "9-holer" is definitely at least a 4-disc in my opinion. Extremely difficult, in the woods. Hole #4 is one of the coolest I've seen. And trust me, the pics on here do not do it justice. And for all you hippy naturists out there, there is a nude beach just down the hill from this one lol. It's a beautiful park right on the big Columbia River.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1775

edit: 360DiscGolfer had a good review on this one...

Hey thanks man! Now is it just me or do we have more 9 holers near Portland than most cities?