• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rating 9-holers versus 18-holers

Lime-Kiln Park in Grafton, WI has woods, major elevation, and water. This is a 9 holer, but hasn't received anything but 3, 3.5, 3.5, 4, 2, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3.5, and 2.5.
Southwoods in West Des Moines is a really good 9 hole course that has all of that stuff, too. Granted it has course maintainence problems, which should letitamately keep it from being a 5 star course, but I think it gets penalized for only having 9 holes. It's not like it's a secret that only a low score would reveal that these courses only have 9 holes.

Highest rating I've given an sub-18 hole course is 3.5 stars to: L2 at Quail Valley and Erickson/Payne Home DGC.

Seven other sub-18 hole courses have gotten 3 stars from me.

No intentional bias against sub-18's that's just where I think they fall in the grand scheme of all the courses I've played.

Highest rating I've given an sub-18 hole course is 3.5 stars to: L2 at Quail Valley and Erickson/Payne Home DGC.

Seven other sub-18 hole courses have gotten 3 stars from me.

No intentional bias against sub-18's that's just where I think they fall in the grand scheme of all the courses I've played.
But do they fail as 9 hole course or as 18 hole courses? I think the actual question might be whether or not courses should be all evaluated against the same or should they be evaluated agasint courses with the same number of holes. It's obvious that a 9 hole course can't have the same variety as a 18 hole course, but does that mean a "perfect" 9 hole should be a 5 or something else? I think it's just a question of how we should all rate courses that don't have 18 holes. As long as it's consistant whatever is chosen is fine.

Mallaly out of Muskegon MI is a great nine hole course which I had the opportunity to help design. The course was designed with the intentions of bringing as much challenge and big arm as possible to a 9 hole course. There are no gimme birds, as 7 of 9 holes are great birdies if you can get them. The other two holes are definitely tough pars, as one is about 650 and the other is 700.

If giving ratings solely for nine hole courses, I would have to rate it as a four, simply because of it's difficulty. Even though the course is on a fairly flat terrain, the lines to the basket are more risk reward on the tighter holes, the longer holes are quite long, and the O.B. and mando's(coming soon on hole #4) make things worse.

To walk off the course EVEN is quite a feat, as we laugh when we(developers) hear of people shooting 7 down....as a spectacular round would probably be like 3 down....LOL...hate to say it ain't so...but it ain't. If it is, I and many others would like to see you just hit the negative three Mr. Baller/Story Teller.

I'll give a superb 9 hole course a 3. That's the highest I've rated a 9 holer on this site. If it was exceptional and offered something unique that I had never seen before then I could give it a 3.5. I just don't see myself going above that for a 9 hole course. Take it upon yourself to make the greatest of all time and be the exception.

Member Classification

Did this just change? I'm now Double-Eagle, where I used to be Ace, at least I think so.

Thanks. I actually looked first before I asked, but the subject "albatross" didn't mean anything to me...I just noticed the change when I got back from lunch. Sorry, I'll never leave my computer again...

BTW, I like it...

Just for that I'm gonna!, PSST, can I borrow a couple hundred K for land, baskets, concrete, and bikini beer girl hiring?

We will even have ladies night and Zenbot and Vegan Ray can serve the beer topless...

Oh god that was painful.

I couldn't, in good conscience, give a 9 hole course a 5...
But 3.5 or possibly a 4...sure. It would have to be very good and really utilize terrain, length, etc...
It's hard to get over the con that it's not 18 holes, but 9's way better than nothing, and if there aren't any courses within 30-45min from the 9 hole course, then I'm more likely to rate it higher (because the ratings are, for me, relative to what is around, not just based on the course as a stand-alone).

Member classification

The ladies classify mine somewhere between 'epic' and 'legendary'. Frank D classifies it as 'slightly below satisfactory'.

i automatically deduct .5 from a review score for all courses with less than 18 holes. i do not add any points for more than 18 holes. therefore, the highest review i'd theoretically give a 9 hole course is 4.5.

it's quite conceivable that a solid 9 holer could get a higher rating than an 18 holer crammed into too small a space.

I would much rather a course designer give me 9 really nice holes on an available piece of property than 18 short/cramped holes.

But even if I gave a 9 holer a 5 rating, I'd have to put an asterisk on it, because 18 holes will always be the benchmark of championship courses. Centuries of ball golf have trained us that way.

Just for that I'm gonna!, PSST, can I borrow a couple hundred K for land, baskets, concrete, and bikini beer girl hiring?

We will even have ladies night and Zenbot and Vegan Ray can serve the beer topless...

Oh god that was painful.
I'm in.

Let's imagine that it is a 9 hole with multiple tees. If the 2nd tees play like a completely different hole would that be a consideration?

Latest posts