• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rating = ? Division

How can I estimate what my rating would be as a newbie just learning the game? For instance, if I average 9 strokes over par on 18 holes, what would that equate to? I think I'll hold off on trying a tourney until I can make par, but I'm still curious.

Thanks.

Your 9 strokes over par is almost meaningless, since its dependent on which course you're playing, and how par was set on that course. Except.....

If there have been sanctioned tournaments on the course you're playing, you can look up the results at pdga.com and see what ratings your average rounds produced during a tournament.

The assumption will be that the course was set up the same during that tournament, and there weren't unusual weather conditions. But at least it's a start.

How can I estimate what my rating would be as a newbie just learning the game? For instance, if I average 9 strokes over par on 18 holes, what would that equate to? I think I'll hold off on trying a tourney until I can make par, but I'm still curious.

Thanks.

One of the best ways to do this is to find a previously-held tournament on a course you play regularly, and check the results on the PDGA website to see where you'd best fit. Not perfect, but a good starting point.

BLM

P.S. Novice, just like me ;)

And is that 9 strokes over according to the PDGA par...or the par on the course signs...and in some cases it is a BIG difference. At my home course the sign par is 64, where the PDGA has it at a 55. For the casual player with just a few discs, playing 1-2 times a month, the 64 is a reachable and fair par, to those of us the are competitive, 54 is the goal.
Again, what David said is the best idea. Find out if the course you play most often has had a tournament, look to see what your average score is, if it's say a 63, and it was a 2 round event, look to see what divisions shot right around that, and go with that. Rule of thumb is that your first tourney should be Rec or Novice, however, if you play with people on a regular basis, and they play intermediate or Advanced catagories, and you are right there with their scores, or shooting better, then maybe intermediate would be the better choice.

Latest posts