• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Raymond Oberley Jr.

timj5304

Double Eagle Member
Just curious in the past of the US Am disc golf champions or Am world champs, have any moved up and won a big event that same season? Ray just won the Cedar Creek Open A tier in Fairmont, MN; beating top competition such as Cale Leiviska, Paul Ulibarri, Adam Olsen, Tanner Duncan, Jon Drummond, Mitch Privette and a couple 1000ish rated Oregon players. Its kind of amazing to see a guy who is 17, who decided to move up after winning US ams and forgoing worlds to move on to the big stage. Hearing a couple of the top few guys who did not win it at am worlds holding out another season and seeing him move his game to the next level is pretty cool to see and maybe something for those guys to ponder.

^so the answer is no? I saw Wiggins won 2 B tiers that season. I know some guys have won tourneys and denied cash before. I was just curious if an A tier, NT, Major had ever been achieved by a guy who won 1 of the 2 amateur majors in the same season before. Guess I should of worded it better, since alot of times B tiers will only have 10 or so open players while an A tier will have 30-60 open players

Cale and Paul are def top ten players so if he beat both of them he is a real player. but again we already knew that and maybe he is local or something. many factors to winning tourneys but majors is gotta beat 10 cales and 10 pauls. totally different.

In the videos I've seen of him he flicks predominately. Is that still true? If so, that's a pretty mean flick.

^Correct distance drives are flicks. He has a solid backhand but does not use it a ton at this point, probably flicks 90% of the time. He is not a local to Cedar Creek, the CCO is in Fairmont on the MN/IA border, he lives in the northern part of the state aprox 5-6 hrs away.

In reguards to Uli, there have been some rumors swirling about some things going on in his personal life that were not his fault that happened to him. His game has suffered recently for that reason I would say and if I was in his position I am sure mine would too.

In reguards to Uli, there have been some rumors swirling about some things going on in his personal life that were not his fault that happened to him. His game has suffered recently for that reason I would say and if I was in his position I am sure mine would too.

Internet Forum Rule #56 - never mention rumors swirling and then not say what the rumors are. it's just a douche move.

carry on.

i played with his older brother at the Majestic, lets just say this kid will be a name in disc golf very soon once what is happening goes public.

i played with his older brother at the Majestic, lets just say this kid will be a name in disc golf very soon once what is happening goes public.
:confused::popcorn:

1040, 1039, 1028, 1007 and then a 1037 in the final 9. All while being rated a 975. He averaged 1030 golf throughout the tournament nearly 55 points higher than current rating. That's just some good golf right there.

Got to throw with him today. Pretty cool. I threw like trash, which was embarrassing, but he and the person with him were chill. Watching him reminds me that I need to start training my rhfh since I currently throw lhfh, and also definitely showed that distance isn't everything. Would open up so many new lines...really screws me on some approaches too. Seems like a good guy, hope he does well.

At least I'm pretty sure that's what he said his last name was.