• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] RDG Gila: Overstable Mid

jcassidy1990

Reptilian Disc Golf
Hey guys!

Just like with the Tyrant, I wanted to provide some insight into the birth of a new disc.

The Gila is the disc final mold that I "need" to make for RDG.
I've always said that I had three discs that I wanted to accomplish with this label.
1) wizard OS (Scale)
2 beefy Teeb (Tyrant)
3) KC Pro Sentinel (Gila)

Saturday night I got a text from DaveMac that he sat down with the CAD artist and drew the wing for the Gila.
This wing will be added to the Warrior top and newly created, "conventional style", midrange core that Gateway now has. You can see from design, the Gila will have a nice concave wing, high parting line and hearty bead.

Projected flight characteristics will be 5, 3, 0, 3

The new wing should provide more HSS and LSS over the current Gateway mid wing.
It will also provide the mold with more stability retention due to its design.

My plan is to first run Fossil so folks can start a Gila cycle. These should be perfect Go To mids for a lot of players as they'll season in to be straight crushers.

For those that like Sanny Sentinels, I hope this mold provides the same amount of joy to throw, at a much cheaper price point.
Oh and in the best baseline on the planet!

Attachments

• 7332_1489264867563.jpg
    7332_1489264867563.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 211
This is cool news JC! It just occurred to me that the discs that you make would very easily fit in Steve Brinsters bag. You must have a similar playing style.

Is this going to be a real 0,3 or a Roc3 0,3? If it is the former I might have to convert as I'm already looking at a Scale/Wiz/Serp putter combo and the fairways would fit right in my playing style.

I'm up for trying a nice overstable mid in Fossil for sure. I just hope the gila has and keeps its high speed stability better than Warriors. I've thrown a few Warriors and only one of them was truly 0 HSS and kept that stability for a decent period of time. The rest of them either had a tiny turn out of the box (which became more exaggerated with wear) or developed turn very quickly. I don't really like S-curve out of my mids which is what I was getting with most of the Warriors I tried. My mid slots are straight to fade, straight-straight, and flippy.

Is this going to be a real 0,3 or a Roc3 0,3? If it is the former I might have to convert as I'm already looking at a Scale/Wiz/Serp putter combo and the fairways would fit right in my playing style.

The Gila projects to have fade.
The Roc3 never was as stable as numbers suggested IMO.

The Gila projects to have fade.
The Roc3 never was as stable as numbers suggested IMO.
That's what I meant so I'm assuming that it will be closer to a Verdict than a Roc3. Now practically my entire bag is up in the air😩

That wing looks awesome. The beaded Gateway mid wing is already a winner. A little more concave maybe a little more bead. Wow.

That wing looks awesome. The beaded Gateway mid wing is already a winner. A little more concave maybe a little more bead. Wow.

Agreed.

My only problem with the Gateway wing presently is that most of their mids develop turn when beat in.
I want our wing to retain HSS for a decent bit longer.

And a nice sized bead will only help with that too. :)

Agreed.

My only problem with the Gateway wing presently is that most of their mids develop turn when beat in.
I want our wing to retain HSS for a decent bit longer.

And a nice sized bead will only help with that too. :)

Why you gotta put a big bead on it? You had me up until the big bead talk.

Why you gotta put a big bead on it? You had me up until the big bead talk.

Quiet you.

(Because all the good OS Mids have big beads. Heck, even the best US mid ever made -- Comet/Ontario Roc -- has a big bead.)

Quiet you.

(Because all the good OS Mids have big beads. Heck, even the best US mid ever made -- Comet/Ontario Roc -- has a big bead.)

But if you want to throw it forehand, it makes it tougher. That's why the Bard kicked my rocs two years ago.

If a beaded mold will make more money, then I get it. It just means that that's one RDG mold I'm not going to be throwing much.

Can't please everybody though.

Latest posts