• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] RDG Gila: OS Mid

now that i have more time in with the gila,it is becoming one of my favorite discs to throw. i still haven't quite dialed it in on the stand still FH approaches ,mainly the stability,but it is easy to FH without having to worry about torquing it over too much. it flies like a dream in headwind and dead calm, very trustworthy at such a light weight. i still am surprised on those few throws where i can actually notice how fast and how glidey it is even with the stability it has. as of now the buzzz os has been taken out so that i can get a better feel for the gila,which is funny because i actually use the gila more than the bOs.

i let a few buddies throw it around who are familiar with the sanny sents and they agreed that it did fly like a good sanny sent with a little more glide.

good job jamie!

I currently stash a "go bag" in my car in my Upper Park Focus of Sexton Firebird, Gila, 2 Crocs (one glow) Fossil Fuel Scale and Fossil Wizard. Been scoring pretty well with just those in courses Im familiar with.

Yesterday on hole 9 at Cumberland Green I threw the Gila for a shot I dont normally do on said hole. About 30 feet off the teepad there is a huge tree that splits the fairway. The pin is about 215 feet past the tree, tucked into a grove of saplings. Either side of the tree is pretty clear, open fairway.

Normally I throw a forehand. Pretty much impossible to ace from that shot, but as long as you can throw a 200-230 foot forehand its basically an automatic birdie. Throwing a low hyzer to the right is easier to get a skip ace but is hardly an automatic birdie. In addition, the route on the right has a low hanging branch that leaves little room for error. You have to cut it pretty close to the tree trunk as well.

So I threw the Gila, almost kissed the tree trunk, on that low hyzer. Gila hits about 20 feet right of the pin, skips beautifully off the ground, hits nothing but chains...and spits out! I honestly dont know what side of the chains it hit, but judging by wheret he Gila was laying when I got up to it, I would say back side chains. Easy birdie, heartbreaking almost ace!

Wow, when did the Gila get restocked with a bunch of 150's and 160's weights? I must have missed that. Anybody throwing these want to comment on how the light weights fly? JCass?

Wow, when did the Gila get restocked with a bunch of 150's and 160's weights? I must have missed that. Anybody throwing these want to comment on how the light weights fly? JCass?

Lol they were protos that my cousin had found while browsing our racks.

I haven't thrown one but I'd imagine they're super straight and glide like crazy

ordered a couple more....

Igot2manydiscs......

Fossil.....

Fossil Fuel......bright colors!!!!

Light weights!!!!

come on Davey Mac!!!

listen to JCass!!

The weather has been beautiful and I have an amazing new course in Freedom Center that I have been playing rather than providing feedback on this mold (go throw a new disc or write about a new disc...easy decision). That being said I think I have finally had enough time with this mold to get some thoughts down.

The feel of this disc in the hand is not like anything else I have ever thrown. The curvature of the wing coupled with the substantial bead provides a really unique underside shape. That being said, I feel like somehow that wing shape offsets the bead somehow and results in a really comfortable grip both forehand and backhand. Honestly, I was kind of shocked how comfortable it was, when it arrived and I initially looked at it I was skeptical...that wing + depth looked like early release all day to me, but again it's all about that bead that provides just enough addition to the depth to keep that rim gripped tight and breaks away clean. Nicely done...there are only so many things you can do to a disc, so when I see something new in design that actually works I am certainly impressed.

As for flight, the most important factor, as I said previously in this thread I initially struggled to get this thing dialed in. There is no question this has more to do with me than the mold though (glad I stuck with it). The flight pattern for me was very different than what I would normally expect in an OS mid. In comparison to the Kaxe, the Kaxe was longer straight and shorter post-fade. That being said, one thing that immediately struck me was how the Gila held elevation upon beginning it's second stage of flight. Whereas the Kaxe wing drops immediately and kind of slides into it's fade, the Gila seemed to just turn on a dime while keeping height+glide for a second before truly dropping the wing. The net result is a disc that laughs at dogleg fairways. On a straight to fade shot (specifically around the corner/trees/etc...) the Gila consistently finished between 15-25 feet further up the fairway than the "tweener" Kaxe over the course of the past two weeks of testing them head-to-head.

On true hyzers is where I struggled with this mold. The aforementioned second stage slide and increased distance post-fade often found me missing left for a bit. This is something that may be an easier adjustment for, well honestly for a better more experienced player or perhaps a player with more power (I am a finesse player and not ashamed to admit it). It was also on bigger hyzer lines where I definitely felt the Gila was more OS than my K3 Kaxe but quite similar to my K1. I don't throw my K1 much on a big hyzer line for the same reason, at my power (for reference 270' with a miss distance of <10' is where I am with most of my mids) the Gila initially proved difficult. I could not get it to even think about getting level...it was just wing down and go left out of the hand, even getting altitude was tricky as it was diving way before intended apex on me. That is until I had a revelation...just rip the dang thing...well, oh my goodness, it turns out this is a mid that I can crank on just like my Tyrant and it LIKES IT. Basically, this thing wants to be thrown...hard, and at full rip with my power it didn't even think about turning or flattening out too much through the apex, it just held the line aggressively to the peak and glided out gracefully from mid-flight to the ground. Again, a very cool flight profile in that it is nasty aggressive out of the hand and in first-phase but really quite pretty in it's flight after that.

That being said, with my arm it laughed at me and may have said something derogatory about my mama when I tried to flex it or push it anny at all. Oh well, the Croc has turned out to be so so dope for those lines I am not even sweating it.

Bottom Line, yes this is billed as a power-players dream and I have no doubt it is. However, for those of that are a little softer in our game this mold is still a perfect workhorse-utility hybrid that can absolutely shred anything left of center.

Kudos for making a mold with both attitude and grace...it's like nothing else out there in my opinion and when a mold like that comes along in a saturated market I think it is a sign of a product that is born out of a love for this silly little frisbee game we all enjoy. It's a mold that I can tell comes from a player...diameter and glide give an old school nod, fat bead and nasty OS bring some new-school style and like every RDG mold I have tried (though this one took me a bit to figure out) it is bottom line reliable to do exactly what it was billed to do.

Looking forward to that little 155g coming in that I just ordered to see if I can get some of the lines you big boys are getting out of these intial ones.

Amazing write up Jeff!

Spoke with Dave this morning and he said he has a batch of Talc filled plastic coming early next week.

He said he has some stuff in house now but it runs the risk of being brittle.
As always, I told him I'm OK with slow playing it and waiting for the new batch.

Patience is a virtue. Especially when you're a measly little DG label.

I have one of these bad boys on the way. I'm really looking forward to giving it a try! Right now, my midrange setup is 3 Elements and a Karma. I use the Karma as my more stable/os mid, but it's not as os as I want it to be. I think the Gila is exactly what I'm looking for. I also threw a Scale in the order as well. These will be my first rdg discs I've ever tried. Based on all the positive reviews, I'm sure I'll like both molds.

I haven't thrown one but I'd imagine they're super straight and glide like crazy

This would be completely accurate. Still hook up nicely at the end but for my arm they carry first phase flight a really long way. Also actually able to shape some nice flex lines with these lower weights, but honestly still prefer the Glow Crocs for most of those shots. Straight-to-fade, glidey hyzers, and really quick S-turns around the insane guarded tees and split fairways Biscoe put in at Freedom Center these lighter weight ones have proven to be excellent for. Gilas look to be a permanent fixture in my bag at this point as I am now finding slightly more accuracy (especially when powered down) than what I could get with my Kaxe in tight spots.

Gila stamp is almost finished!
We went with our boy Marmoset to bring another mid to life!

The Talc arrived at Gateway and he claims that next week we should have Fossil Gilas.
Time will tell if that does come to fruition.

Attachments

• 7979_1498824959922.jpg
    7979_1498824959922.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 7981_1498825858884.jpg
    7981_1498825858884.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 41
Great stamp! Marmoset does awesome work. The koi stamp on the SE Tenacity is literally one of my favorite stamps of all time. I bought a Tenacity that I may never bag just for that stamp (and I don't do wall hangers).

Also, I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Gila flies and wears in Fossil. :)

Latest posts