• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] The RDG Tyrant: fairway driver

jcassidy1990

Reptilian Disc Golf
RDG has BIG plans for 2016...

We are beginning the incredibly fun journey to produce an entire new mold. The Tyrant will be our final entry into the driver market and I think it will be one of the best to be developed in recent years.

I know it is early and there are plenty of hiccups that will occur along the way, but I know DGCR loves to watch plans unfold. I will document the process of design, R&D and production here in this thread for your viewing pleasure :thmbup:

The ultimate driver desire I've had for a long while is that of a more overstable Teebird that actually feels like a Teebird. Sure there are Volts, Sparks, Banshees, etc. but none of these discs are what I picture when I think of the dream fairway.

My development plan is to build a mold that is like an 11x Teebird & 11x Eagle-X merged into one and retained the flattish top, high parting line and supreme reliability.

The Tyrant's designed flight numbers are 7, 4, 0, 2.5
Of course this is a fluid process but we can always dream and adjust along the way.
Thank you as always for the support DGCR. I think this mold will be something special once it comes to life in the coming months.

GHkLs9N.jpg

VRaVVA5.jpg

4ZuZqzt.jpg

If you can make an 11x Teebird/Eagle baby that would be amazing.

That is my ultimate driver goal :thmbup:

I feel like all the other Teebird clone have turned out less stable than desired.
We are going to go the opposite route and ensure that it is indeed more OS than a standard Teebird out of the box.

As with all things RDG I'm interested.

Do you have an idea of what plastics this might be in? Any chance of seeing it in Fossil?

As with all things RDG I'm interested.

Do you have an idea of what plastics this might be in? Any chance of seeing it in Fossil?

This will be produced with neither Gateway/Daredevil.

The first run will likely be produced in a grippy, Champ-like plastic.

Oh man, this is awesome, I wish you the best on this and hope all the Goals and Dreams come true, this would be a great disc to exist!

This sounds exciting to me. I like the look of your mock up.

Does this mean your stable midrange is on the back burner?

This sounds exciting to me. I like the look of your mock up.

Does this mean your stable midrange is on the back burner?

Oh no. If it were up to me I would be throwing protos right now.

The mids are unfortunately out of my control. DaveMac's tooling guys have been getting too good at what they do and they've picked up some big machine contracts that they have been working on. That leaves little time to dink and dunk with a frisbee company. Once they slow down and find some time to tool our mold pieces we will be all systems go on that.

I want to be "done" making discs in 2016. My wife and I just found out we are going to have a child and I want to be able to offer him/her a full line up when they leave the womb ;)

Count me excited for this mold (and definitely the mids too!). If it's even remotely similar to the quality of stuff RDG has put out I'll be very happy. Keep it up!

Congrats on the big news about the little person.

The disc sounds intriguing, but I have to ask about the name. Are you getting away from the dino theme, or did it just go over my head?

Congrats on the big news about the little person.

The disc sounds intriguing, but I have to ask about the name. Are you getting away from the dino theme, or did it just go over my head?

"Tyrannosaurus (/tɨˌrænəˈsɔrəs/ or /taɪˌrænəˈsɔrəs/ ("tyrant lizard", from the Ancient Greek tyrannos (τύραννος), "tyrant", and sauros (σαῦρος), "lizard"[1])) is a genus of coelurosaurian theropod dinosaur"

This is actually the disc name that I have been wanting to use for a driver since we first started out. I LOVE this disc name.

A) congratulations
B) again congratulations
C) Very stoked on the new disc. Hopefully a sweet disc to cycle, like your other molds.

A) congrats on the kiddo
B) Tyrant is a great name.
C) That disc looks like it would cut through the wind like a block of cheese. Would be really interesting to see how it turns out. I'm glad Gateway's not involved, their track record with FW drivers is not too good.

I hear Andrew is a pretty good name for a boy ;)

Moving from what is soon to be the Tyrant of the Cassidy household, to the actual disc...

Are you thinking something akin to a Brinster Teebird in flight, but flat? Because that would be excellent!

Congrats on the new person, it'll change your life.

Congratulations Jamie! It will change your life in ways you have yet to imagine (and take all your free time for a few years, but let's not mention that part). ;)

Are you thinking something akin to a Brinster Teebird in flight, but flat? Because that would be excellent!

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking reading the first page of this thread. I definitely want this disc. My 2013 Brinster Bird has been a staple in my (summer) bag since I bought it, and a flatter, more readily available version would be excellent. It would be even more excellent if you moved on after making it in a champ/star type plastic to making it in a baseline type plastic (like the Thunderbird blend of DX). Looking forward to this release!