• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] RDG Gila: Overstable Mid

Just giving you a hard time but it's in your Demon slot yet caused you to not throw a Buzzz?

Dang!

Joedirt.jpg

Lol, demon slot in the day bag along side a very straight bag. The glow bag the gila definitely takes some shots from a fresh glow z buzzz. Still threw the buzzz once per lap for long slow turning anny.

Just received my Gilas today. 3 Fossil and 2 Amber. The Fossils are as grippy as DX plastic, but feel a little sturdier, definitely chalky and easily marked. They are board flat as well. The amber have some slight dome and are similar to a gummy-ish champ plastic. Very flexible and both have a slight oil on water sheen to them. They are both Ice/colorless. One looks like a normal champ-ish plastic, but the other has some amazing pearliness to it that starts as streaks on the flight plate and thickens to a super pearly wing. Glad I decided to order more than just one based on looks and feel alone, but I gotta put them thru the paces this weekend. I will probably bring the MD4s and MD3s outta retirement for a (Hopefully)final hoorah and pit these things against my Glow Champ and DX RocX3s. Judging by the deep dive I made in this thread I will probably end up liking the Gilas quite a bit, but I have to keep an open mind on test day.

Those fossil will show some wear pretty quick but beat into great flyers. They lose some bite and hold straight powered down or up. I have some pretty thrashed ones that flip up and turn some but still want to dump a little at the end.
Keep us posted on how you like em

Will do. I have to amend my previous statement about grip. I did some grip testing this morning and Fossil has better grip than DX and still feels like a sturdier plastic. Also the Gila feels more comfortable in the hand than the RocX3 does. I'm thinking it is because of the rounded shoulder on the Gila versus the blocky shoulder of the RocX3, but it could also be because it has better grip and feels more secure. Looking like rain this weekend, which is good for California, but I might spend the weekend indoors depending on how bad it is. My grip bag has a rainfly, but I don't have any waterproof pants right now.

my pink tarpit Gila came today, and wow this thing is flat, it is currently dark outside but hopefully I can throw it and the factory second amber iguana tomorrow...

Got out for 9 holes during my lunch break today. My Amber Gila is super glidey, but has a little right hand drift when thrown into a mild headwind. Not sure I can trust it on a windy day, but the Fossil Gila is very stable in the wind and will probably be my go to. I still need to test the Amber Gila some more to make sure I wasn't throwing some OAT into the mix. They are also lighter than the Fossil, so that could be the reason as well. Overall I like them and will continue to test them. I'll likely be looking for a batch of heavier Amber or Armor Gilas in the future.

Sounds like a good start to replacing the rocX3. The older runs of Amber were slightly higher shouldered than Fossil but not really any less flat. They flew very similarly to a fresh fossil for me. Not saying you should seek out an older run. Really I should get my new Ambers out to the field and compare too.

My buddy dyed this clear Amber Gila for me and it looks pretty darn nice.

It's a beefy one too, around Pyro level OS.

Have an amber and fossil Gila on the way, looking forward to running them thru their paces. Current mid line up goes: 2 Dx roc- 1 beat 1 new, 1 Star rancho, and occasionally MF gator. Used to bag the brinster sentinels but wanted a touch more beef, gator is fine but not useful enough to bag regularly. The Gila seems like it will fit in the middle nicely, more OS than a star roc, more glide than a gator.

Have an amber and fossil Gila on the way, looking forward to running them thru their paces. Current mid line up goes: 2 Dx roc- 1 beat 1 new, 1 Star rancho, and occasionally MF gator. Used to bag the brinster sentinels but wanted a touch more beef, gator is fine but not useful enough to bag regularly. The Gila seems like it will fit in the middle nicely, more OS than a star roc, more glide than a gator.

That is a perfect scenario for the Gila to Do Work.

You're going to love it!

That absolutely sounds like a line up primed to be replaced with Gila. This new gummier amber run is amazing. A touch straighter out of the box than stiffer amber runs, but very versatile, glides and plenty OS.

Finally after 4 straight days of rain I got to throw my Gilas. I threw an amber Gila vs a star ranch roc, and a fossil gila against Dx rocs. The amber Gila at first didn't seem all that more OS, but the more I leaned into it the more it seemed to hook up. At 250-275ft I found the star rancho and amber Gila to be very similar, but at 300+ the Gila would hold straighter with more HSS erode the fade while the rancho roc would flip up and turn before fading.

Fossil Gila felt great, nice tight grain on the plastic and stiff flex. I liked the slower flight of the roc but would be happy cycling Gilas. Great disc, I really like it in amber and will be buying more for sure!

Last edited:
Parked a 250ft uphill hole today with my old Amber. It's an awkward line and it sat down beautifully.

Finally after 4 straight days of rain I got to throw my Gilas. I threw an amber Gila vs a star ranch roc, and a fossil gila against Dx rocs. The amber Gila at first didn't seem all that more OS, but the more I leaned into it the more it seemed to hook up. At 250-275ft I found the star rancho and amber Gila to be very similar, but at 300+ the Gila would hold straighter with more HSS erode the fade while the rancho roc would flip up and turn before fading.

Fossil Gila felt great, nice tight grain on the plastic and stiff flex. I liked the slower flight of the roc but would be happy cycling Gilas. Great disc, I really like it in amber and will be buying more for sure!

I'm glad you like it!

The new run of gummy Amber is probably the least OS Gila run we have had. That said, they aren't flippy by any means. Just more glidey and likely to hold the line longer prior to fading.

I am currently carrying a 174g gummy Amber with a 174g Iguana as my mid duo. Both are extremely floaty while being reliable. I love these two big beaded discs.

I sometimes carry a Diamond Hemp Prophecy between the two but I just picked up a fresh DX Roc to throw in that gap to see if the slower speed opens up a few more old school lines.

If you give the Fossil enough time to beat in you will find that HSS over the Roc, to be even more dramatic. Roc's will beat in to flip up to a mellow turn with minimal fade. My most trashed (though I am sure others have beat on theirs more) Fossil Gila still doesn't want to flip up and turn unless thrown quite hard. Thrown flat it gets a nice gentle turn and still has some gila bite on the end.

I currently am bagging a fresh tarpit, a beat in Armor Gila, the trashed fossil and a Fresh Iguana. The Iguana does overlap the fossil a bit. I still don't have the Iguana as dialed for short/softer throws as I do the fossil. I can throw the fossil so soft and still get such a straight shot or baby turn. There really are things that a beat disc is just best at.

That said... I am kinda dreaming about Fossil Iguana the last few days.