• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] The RDG Tyrant: fairway driver

Those look good Jc. I may have to pick one up!

YUSS. Ordered. Happy to replace the ID VIP stamp (kinda funky warrior dude, think they missed the point of "tyrant") Love these domey Tyrants. Longer and more stable than overstable.

Pretty sure they are all sold out everywhere. I would like another one when they are run again, but hard to find at the moment.

Samples from 2nd run of tyrants

While doing some clean up at our manufacturing shop we found some samples that were made to eventually create the 2nd run of tyrants for reptilian disc golf. Some discs show slight warping but they are definitely still fantastic throwers and we are offering them at a discounted rate of only $13.99. If you loved the tyrant grab a backup or just want the chance to give them a try we have the last remaining 30 or so up at www.ozonediscs.com.

3rd run Tyrants are in the US and should arrive within the next few weeks.

Our factory convinced us to run these with the domier profile as they're more consistent.

Once Josh and I have gotten out and ripped on these I will let you know!

Fingers crossed that they have that magical 11x Teeb flight like the 2nd run with a better color.

Well I'll finally get to try the Tyrant hopefully. I've loved almost all of the Reptilian and AGL molds that I've tried so I have high hopes.

3rd run Tyrants are in the US and should arrive within the next few weeks.

Our factory convinced us to run these with the domier profile as they're more consistent.

Once Josh and I have gotten out and ripped on these I will let you know!

Fingers crossed that they have that magical 11x Teeb flight like the 2nd run with a better color.

In what country/factory do you run your discs? I've had the impression that they are made in the Gateway factory in the past, but has that changed? (I understand if its a secret)

In what country/factory do you run your discs? I've had the impression that they are made in the Gateway factory in the past, but has that changed? (I understand if its a secret)

Most of our molds are made right here in St. Louis where our company is located.

The Ptero /Raptor are made in Canada with Daredevil Discs.

The Tyrant (being a total mold build) is manufactured in China. When we tooled the mold we were looking at costs that we were unable to do here in the states. We partnered with Ozone and the facility they produced the Andro with.

We have discussed shipping the mold to Gateway but the injection molding machine in China doesn't match up with those at Gateway.

So, with that said, Chinese manufacturing doesn't get the best rep, and it is hard to patiently await their arrival... But two runs in and we've had pretty good success with the quality of the discs.

Hopefully the third run is as equally enjoyable as the prior two!

Jamie has been as open as anyone I've ever run across in disc golf about how/where the discs are made. It's been really cool to have him respond to people here.

Most of our molds are made right here in St. Louis where our company is located.

The Ptero /Raptor are made in Canada with Daredevil Discs.

The Tyrant (being a total mold build) is manufactured in China. When we tooled the mold we were looking at costs that we were unable to do here in the states. We partnered with Ozone and the facility they produced the Andro with.

We have discussed shipping the mold to Gateway but the injection molding machine in China doesn't match up with those at Gateway.

So, with that said, Chinese manufacturing doesn't get the best rep, and it is hard to patiently await their arrival... But two runs in and we've had pretty good success with the quality of the discs.

Hopefully the third run is as equally enjoyable as the prior two!
That was the same problem Gateway had with QuestAT; at the time that Quest turned their attention to other things they were making the Assassin and Diablo. He couldn't get Quest to make them any more and he couldn't buy the molds as they wouldn't work on his machines. He eventually just had to tool new molds to have discs with those names in production.

Funny story: the Daviar told me that at White Birch of all places. I was randomly there for an Ice Bowl and he showed up to drop off a donation for Bob. Hazelwood had the disc display and there was a super-duper old first-run Gateway Inferno in the display. The Gateway runs of Infernos were flippy-bomb goodness so I made somebody from the office come out and sell me the disc in the display. I'm standing there with the Inferno in hand and Dave is standing there so I said to him that he should buy the Inferno mold and make them again. I got a much more in-depth explanation than I expected as to why he couldn't do that. I was late to my second-round tee, but I was playing on the last Masters card at White Birch and no one cared. I blamed it on Dave and they let me throw the hole.

I pulled those Gateway Infernos out not to long ago; that might be the most nose-angle sensitive disc I've ever thrown and I can't figure out why I loved those back in the day. :|

Tyrants just in time for Christmas? That would be cool. Everybody for years went on and on about how they wanted disc golf to go mainstream; this is the worst timeline. I can't get anything I want to throw. Who thought this was going to be cool? Some Tyrants, though...I can throw me some Tyrants.

picture.php

Thanks for being so open about production. I always love to hear more in depth stories about discs etc. Lets hope I get one day to test out some reptelian discs. As an AGL thrower what rdg mold would you suggest to fill in the AGL gaps?

Thanks for being so open about production. I always love to hear more in depth stories about discs etc. Lets hope I get one day to test out some reptelian discs. As an AGL thrower what rdg mold would you suggest to fill in the AGL gaps?
I dug up the AGL thread; I'd need some knowledge bombs dropped on me about the AGL discs before I'd be able to say anything.

My uneducated oversimplified answer is that most of the time any AGL disc that has a RDG disc similar to it, the RDG disc will be beefier i.e. Stego is more OS than a Baobab, Scale is more OS than a Manzanita, Gila is more OS than a Beech, Tyrant is more OS than a Sycamore.

Serpent vs Madrone I'm not sure about, that one might not fit the pattern. I've never thrown a Madrone so I can't even guess. I also can't throw high-speed drivers so no idea on those.

All of the RDG discs are useable by the right player, you just have to be realistic about your ability since they are usually moderately OS.

Gila is amazing, nice OS mid that could be a wind fighter for a lighter throwing player, or a straight to fade one for a pro.

Scale is a Wizard OS, works great backhand and does mildly OS approaches very well.

Serpent is very cool, it has very little turn or fade to its flight and though it has some it's not terribly glidy. A faster more traditional feeing Berg could be a good reference point.

Stego is the most ridiculously fun disc ever made. So OS it needs its own category.

I dug up the AGL thread; I'd need some knowledge bombs dropped on me about the AGL discs before I'd be able to say anything.

My uneducated oversimplified answer is that most of the time any AGL disc that has a RDG disc similar to it, the RDG disc will be beefier i.e. Stego is more OS than a Baobab, Scale is more OS than a Manzanita, Gila is more OS than a Beech, Tyrant is more OS than a Sycamore.

Serpent vs Madrone I'm not sure about, that one might not fit the pattern. I've never thrown a Madrone so I can't even guess. I also can't throw high-speed drivers so no idea on those.

Madrone is like an in-between of the Serpent/Manzanita in terms of stability. Ponderosa being a more US Serpent would be the better explanation.

Yeah here's the run down for putters at least:

- Scale : my top + Wizard wing
- Serpent : my top : Magic wing
- Manzanita : my top + Warlock wing
- Madrone: my top + Voodoo wing
- Ponderosa : high shoulder top + Magic wing

So if you like the feel of the top I designed with Dave, you can basically pick the wing putter wing you like it most on. It creates more HSS and LSS versus its Gateway counterpart.

I threw the AGL molds back when they were being made by Element Discs and they were nice.

The good thing is that there is a rim feel for every preference.

Yeah here's the run down for putters at least:

- Scale : my top + Wizard wing
- Serpent : my top : Magic wing
- Manzanita : my top + Warlock wing
- Madrone: my top + Voodoo wing
- Ponderosa : high shoulder top + Magic wing

So if you like the feel of the top I designed with Dave, you can basically pick the wing putter wing you like it most on. It creates more HSS and LSS versus its Gateway counterpart.

I threw the AGL molds back when they were being made by Element Discs and they were nice.

The good thing is that there is a rim feel for every preference.

Looks like I need to grab a Serpent then. Love the feel of the Ponderosa and the feel of the RDG top, so...

Is the Tyrant alive?

Any stock run Tyrants out there in the 160s not being used? Who's, uhhh, hand to I have to shake around here to snag one?

Just snagged my first Tyrants in a trade, a pink puddle top 173g stock Armor, and a perfectly domey pinkish reddish 172g Infinite VIP Series Armor. What a dynamic duo that is appearing to be. Haven't thrown em a ton yet but the Infinite Run reminds me of my 169g GStar Eagle-X with it's pretty neutral flight already. G* Eagle is one of my faves but I'm swapping that baby out for the Infinite Tyrant right now because I can, gosh dangit. Also swapping that Infinite Tyrant in so I can pair it with it's brother, the puddle top stock run. Holy Moses Malone, beef, it's what's for dinner. The flights are noticeably different, hence the great pairing.

I lately haven't been bagging many 7 speeds. I'll bag that domey 169g G* Eagle (also, this is the best GStar plastic on any Innova mold and I don't understand why) and a flat 168g ESP FLX XL and go more OS with a Savant/Thundy/_____ and a 169g domey Star Firebird (which I love). I'll throw a beefier flatter FB if it's called for. Really need to throw the stock Tyrant vs Firebirds just to see what kind of differences I can see. I envision they will both have their roles with the weight and speed differences, but also because the Star FB has dome and Tyrant has the opposite of dome. Thoughts on Firebirds vs beefy Tyrants while I'm babbling about it?

Coming from circle, you might gather that I am really digging drivers in the 160s lately. Mostly high 160s but I got a few 162s in there. It took years and years of throwing max weight to realize that its largely unnecessary and actually a detriment in most situations. I also play courses from 4500-6500 ft with big elevation changes and poor footing so I really notice the difference in the overall ease and quality of throws. Same idea with mids, I've stepped down to 173-177g. My 173g Amber Gila in particular is a treasue for this example. This all might be diff for me at sea level, it's been a while.

TLDR: While 172g and 173g isn't bad, I would love to get my paws on 1-2 tyrants in the 160s. Any run, really. Do they exist? Can I haaaaave some?

Latest posts