• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] RDG Gila: Overstable Mid

both the amber and fossil are spot on. definite improvements over the protos in this run.

for look and feel: the fossil is truly FAF, and the amber is just about there. the fossil was tight shouldered compared to the slightly thicker feel of the amber. this amber run had much less dome than the protos. the proto plastic was a tad slicker than this run of amber with the same stiffness. the feel of the fossil is as it's always been: great rigidity with a nice velvety grit.

for the amber: these max weights are great. definitely less glide than the lighter domier protos. i have been looking for a slower forced flex/spike hyzer approach disc that powers down well i.e. slower firebird, and man, the amber is it. still fast, more reliable mid-flight, definitive bite on the finish.

for the fossils: i hope these season into baby 10x Eagles. these had a touch more carry (could be due to the lighter weight @ 177-178) and a bit friendlier finish.

overall, i feel this mold terminates my 2+ year market research study within the OS putter/mid category. definitely a class above the rest.

overall, i feel this mold terminates my 2+ year market research study within the OS putter/mid category. definitely a class above the rest.

YES!

I love reading this.
I'm extremely proud of this mold.

I hope the momentum continues so we can keep tinkering with new batches.

Jesus guys. Are you all getting free jibbers with these? No? No handies?
Then slow your collective roll.

With that said, congrats Jamie. I know it is the mold you wanted to make.

Last edited:
Many of you know that I've always wanted three essential discs since the inception of RDG:
- Wizard OS: Scale
-11x Teebird/Eagle/Banshee fusion: Tyrant
-11x KC Sentinel: Gila

The Fossil and Fossil Fuel Wizards should also be added to the list. Timeless mold in awesome blends of baseline plastic.

YES!

I love reading this.
I'm extremely proud of this mold.

I hope the momentum continues so we can keep tinkering with new batches.

Totally. It's a huge win within a niche that's never satisfied. Hopefully they age into great flyers, furthering demand even more.

Jesus guys. Are you all getting free jibbers with these? No? No handies?
Then slow your collective roll.

Don't be cranky Ol' Dirty Reptilian Bro. You'll feel the lovin' from the long Gila tongue soon enough...

TAW-1140_beaded-lizard-tongue.tif.jpg

first off, congrats jamie on knocking it out of the park with this mold. while some might think we are being a little fanboy crazy with this new mold i can assure you its because the disc is impressive for anyone who can appreciate it. being someone who has thrown older large diameter discs ,i love that this mid was made that way. the amount of glide and speed for this stability still surprises me as well as people i throw it around. while it is not my go to mid ,it is becoming a trusted thrower that i can always rely on and compliments my wasps perfectly.

the new amber plastic is perfect,mine came flat,nice grip and just felt a little better than the proto. nothing against the proto plastic,i just prefer flat mids with a little rigidity. the proto has been a little soft in this tx heat and while the mild dome is there,its not that noticeable or bothersome really. it was pretty hot yesterday so i didnt spend a whole lot of time with the gila in the field before the round but i did get a handful of throws with it in some nice cross wind/headwind shots.

throwing it next to my proto,i threw them flat,hard into the head/RtL cross wind ,i immediately could tell the increased stability in the amber 180 ,it wasnt a justice but it was the closest thing i found to my buzzz os but with more glide and forward penetration. i was giddy after throwing it because its what i expected the heavier gila to be and what i was looking for exactly to replace my buzzz os. thrown back into the tail/LtR crosswind,i threw them on the forced anny to test the stability in a flex shot. of course,they both came out but neither were really affected by the wind. THESE were the reliable mids that would compliment my wasps so nicely for those days i needed the extra bit of confidence on a windy day. FH shots were what i expected,the gila is perfect for any fh,clean or not. the course i played yesterday doesnt really allow me to use an overstable mid often but i did get in the shots when i wanted to try it . just like the proto,the amber plastic never disappointed and always held its line.

ill get more time in with it at other courses and try it on more lines and more variations of power to get a better sense of what it is capable of. its definitely bagged and now im torn if i should keep both or just keep the amber lol. i really like the way the proto flies,its very similar to one of my wasps but has a little more speed and glide. maybe ill just carry 5 mids like i used to do with cycled rocs .

thanks jamie and gateway for making this disc a dream come true.

I'm out of town and haven't thrown mine yet.

Anyone replacing sentinels with these?

I played a glow round last night. Only problem was, I didn't have a glow Amber Gila in my bag. Of course the clear Amber is perfect for a led but I'm going to go ahead and put in my request now for a glow Amber Gila. I like my glow the old fashioned way. If the glow Q Sent can be a thing, so can a glow Gila. Once it takes off of course...

I got to throw a handful of field shots with my new 177 Amber Gila last night. I was getting some nice lines with it, but I expected it to be a bit more overstable. I'm going to have to get some more work with it and see if it gets a spot in the bag, but for now I'm not sure that it fills a necessary gap.

I replaced my Sentinels with the Gila. Very similar, but the Gila is just more workable and overall the better disc, IMO.

This right here is the problem with what is happening in here. I am excited to throw the Gila. And Jamie is hitting all the molds I wanted to see (a truly OS Wizard and a Cycleable Sentinel). I LOVE good old Sanny Sentinels. Love all the old beaded large diameter mids.

But the Gila is suddenly the "overall better disc"? Some of you guys have been throwing them for a couple weeks? Some for a couple rounds? Many of you for a couple throws?

It's "more workable"? None of you have beat a Gila through the cycle, but I've thrown old Pro-Sentinels that were worked through the cycle until they were rollers.

San Marino Q Sentinels are one of the best OS mids ever made, and they've proven that by great stable fast flight, mellow seasoning rate, super durable plastic, and literally years and years of testing.

I am stoked that Jamie took on the much-needed task of recreating that Sanny Sentinel magic in updated plastic and maybe a nod towards the flatter feel that is seemingly more popular nowadays. I hope it proves itself to be as good as you guys are proclaiming. And I root for Reptilian always. But that is going to take a while. Come on now guys.

I've never thrown a Sentinel of any type. I don't like domey mids and all the Sentinels I've seen are horrifically so. I know the good ones are out there I've just never wanted to put the effort or $$ into finding them.

I just know I'm giddy over my Gila order(s) and that's good enough for me. Ignorance is sometimes bliss. That makes me stupid and happy.

Oh, by the way guys, Vision Quest is the 12th best disc golf course in the WHOLE WORLD. No, seriously, because some people jumped the gun and said so on the internet. Before the sod was even laid down.

I don't like domey mids and all the Sentinels I've seen are horrifically so. I know the good ones are out there I've just never wanted to put the effort or $$ into finding them.

I just know I'm giddy over my Gila order(s) and that's good enough for me. Ignorance is sometimes bliss. That makes me stupid and happy.

^ This is SUPER reasonable. For real.

Here is why I like them....
My initial impression is....
In my first two rounds, here is how they flew for me...

OMG THIS IS THE BEST MID EVER!!!!

One of these things is not like the other.

Last edited:
^ This is SUPER reasonable. For real.

Here is why I like them....
My initial impression is....
In my first two rounds, here is how they flew for me...

OMG THIS IS THE BEST MID EVER!!!!

One of these things is not like the other.

I can't wait to win you over with these ;)

One of my favorite things is seeing RDG molds in your frequently updated bag thread. I look forward to seeing the Gila in there!

I can't wait to win you over with these ;)

One of my favorite things is seeing RDG molds in your frequently updated bag thread. I look forward to seeing the Gila in there!

You know that Scale is one of the discs I rely on most. I have been in on those since the protos.

I bet the Gila WILL prove itself. I really do. Wish you had a fossil heavy I could buy.