• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] RDG Gila: Overstable Mid

lol you dont have to believe the hype at all. You can stay throwing your sentinels but dont knock those of us who are actually impressed with this mold or those who feel it is more workable than another disc that you just so happen to love. every opinion on this mold is just that,an opinion. just go enjoy your roadrunners and sentinels, we can enjoy the gila

Come on, boots. Gushing is one thing. Having it replace every mold in your bag after one round/a handful of throws is a whole other thing. This is reaching early MVP levels of absurdity, and I'm interested in this mold. With all the garbage being spewed, it's hard to keep my attention focused.

I'm not trying to crap on this disc. I just would like some more objective opinions over "oh my god! I had stage 4 terminal cancer, and this mold is so versatile that I'm cured!"

Come on, boots. Gushing is one thing. Having it replace every mold in your bag after one round/a handful of throws is a whole other thing. This is reaching early MVP levels of absurdity, and I'm interested in this mold. With all the garbage being spewed, it's hard to keep my attention focused.

I'm not trying to crap on this disc. I just would like some more objective opinions over "oh my god! I had stage 4 terminal cancer, and this mold is so versatile that I'm cured!"

Lol it's OK guys. Some folks are jazzed about the disc. That's cool.

Others are more objective and will require six months of testing to bag the mold. That's cool too.

If you're interested, check it out. I know it's a good disc and most folks will find that out in their own time. Im glad people are rabid for it but I also know that DG is a game of flash in the pan discs.
I know the Gila isn't one of those so grab one despite the early hype and give it a fair crack. You'll be glad you did.

I haven't seen a lot of garbage being spewed at all. I see some people that are pretty dang stoked that this thing is finally a reality. So far, I like the Amber Gila for FH mid shots more than the Verdict, Mortar, Buzzz OS and Justice that I have. That's simply my opinion, objective or not. It will not replace my Gator but likely the two will live in harmony. Fossil of course remains to be seen how it will season and that's why I bought a small stack in different weights to let the beatings begin.... For reals. Name another OS baseline mid that's worth a damn besides a KC Pro Roc? K3 Kaxe maybe? I don't know. Bt Bard? Can't find them. Prime Verdict? It's just ok. Prime plastic is weird.

Of course it remains to be seen how these Fossil Gila's will season over time. That's why we are the happy soldiers in the RDG army. We will throw them and let the people know. Just for the pure joy of it. It's good for the soul but it doesn't cure cancer.

Comparisons to early MVP hype is a stretch. That stuff is just hocus pocus. This is serious. lol.

i dont try many discs anymore. ever since i stopped collecting,sold everything and just bought a few discs here and there for back ups, i rarely get the urge to try anything. this disc and the alpha are 2 discs that i have been impressed by . i can tell if im clicking with a disc or it just isnt for me . first and foremost its the feel and how comfortable it comes out of the hand. maybe some feel more confident with the disc immediately without needing to throw it for months. i was honestly just trying the gila and didnt think it could replace my buzzz os but after i took the os out to give it a fair go i kinda forgot about it. same goes for the pd when i tried the alpha,i went from throwing pd's for 7 years to slowly removing them from the bag .

i try not to just go crazy and unrealistic with gushing over a new disc so i still stand by what i said. while i dont know the newer amber gila as much as the proto,its is pretty easy for me to see if it will work or not. time will tell

Man this timing is no good. I was drooling over the idea of the fossil gila for awhile when it was just a dream. About 2 months ago I finally gave beadless mids a shot at taking over my bag and they did in a big way. Buzzz os and buzzz feel so good in the hand I can't justify going right back to beaded mids.

The idea was gilas and comets but is now buzzz os and buzzz... unless I can't fight the urge for more fossil plastic.

^ This is SUPER reasonable. For real.

Here is why I like them....
My initial impression is....
In my first two rounds, here is how they flew for me...

OMG THIS IS THE BEST MID EVER!!!!

One of these things is not like the other.

Gila's gotta get your panties untwisted ODRB. You post as if you're the sage of mids and no one else has ever thrown them.

I stand by my posts in this treat wholeheartedly. My protos broke in a little faster than expected because of my course conditions. Having a FAF max weight is already a marked difference compared to my now-seasoned protos that were lighter with more dome. My seasoned protos definitely flip & push forward fast with mellowing fade.

There are a lot of good OS mids out there, both past and present. We all know them, we all have thrown them. However, the combination of its affordability & availability, its superior baseline quality, its seasoning potential, and its ability to respond well at all power levels makes the Gila a clear front-runner to cover many slots in a bag. To me, that is a clear differentiation to other offerings, no matter when a mold/disc was pressed or what sentimental value one beholds to the name stamped on it.

But the Gila is suddenly the "overall better disc"? Some of you guys have been throwing them for a couple weeks? Some for a couple rounds? Many of you for a couple throws?

It's "more workable"? None of you have beat a Gila through the cycle, but I've thrown old Pro-Sentinels that were worked through the cycle until they were rollers.

Blah blah, my opinion doesnt really matter, and neither does yours.

Please dont yell at us again, oh great and wise one.

"I met a girl at the freshman mixer last night. Pretty much sure she's the one. We're going to get married and be together forever!!!"

Anyway, Jamie, I ordered one. I look forward to throwing it.

"I read the first four pages of War and Peace, and now I totally get why everyone says it's the best book ever. "

"This slow dance is going great. Judging by the first minute of Stairway to Heaven, I think I'll make my move around the 5:57 mark."

The Gila is not the be-all, end-all midrange. It is a nice feeling, workably overstable disc that has been run in some awesome plastics. I am a huge fan of RDG, but I dont bag the Gila (nor the Tyrant, Ptero or Serpent) simply because the slot it would fill for me is already being filled by the Buzzz OS.

The Gila is a very complete mold of disc and is one of the best RDG has put out so far. Thats what attracts a lot of people to it. Mid-ranges are a tricky part of people's games and the Gila is certainly a disc that could be relied on in that position. Even in Fossil, however, it would take an unbelievable thrashing to get it to be a hyzer-flip straight flyer. I cannot imagine the Gila ever being truly understable...so that part of a pure Gila cycle would be tough even for people playing 7+ rounds per week.

Another thing that I think makes the Gila very attractive is its distance potential. Its not "sneaky distance," though. When you throw it, much like a Warrior, Truth, Verdict, etc, you know its going to go farther than a more standard mid. Flat topped, slightly wider rim and it just comes out of the hand smooth and quick. Its got plenty of stability, but just enough wiggle room in the high speed portion to add that distance.

I very much understand the popularity of the Gila aside from the DGCR hype and "new kid on the block" status. Its neither a one trick pony nor an all around use mid. I do suggest people give it a try, especially if their mid-range lineup is in flux.

Is it too early for a Fossil vs Amber comparison?

Played 5 rounds with my Fossils in the bag over the weekend. They both got thrown on almost every tee. Biggest surprise was how forward the fade seemed. On numerous holes I thought they faded out/ skipped and we're much closer to the basket than I thought. They FH great and paired with my Comets almost exactly like I hoped since this mold was first talked about with hushed voices.

Too early to tell if this will be as big of a homerun for me as the Scale was, but I'm ready to reorder. I did hit metal twice off the tee and once from the fairway, so that's a good start. Fossil is still the best base plastic out.

Last edited:
I replaced my Sentinels with the Gila. Very similar, but the Gila is just more workable and overall the better disc, IMO.

Got some throws in today

I think I agree that it's more workable. Not sure I like it better than a Sanny sentinel but it's a fine disc.

I think it will grow on me.

Is it too early for a Fossil vs Amber comparison?

My Fossil is used heavily for workhorse duties and is starting to get pretty straight. I can crush on it and expect it to cruise for 85% of its flight then have a moderate finish.

My Amber has been smashed into trees, used for spike hyzers and forehands without seeing any diminished stability. It still like to fly straight with a hard bite.

The Gila came out exactly how I had hoped. It uses the Warrior top so I knew it would provide great HSS but the new wing gives it a more workable flight. I also think the big bead is going to provide reliable stability throughout the discs life just as the Roc's bead does so.

A seasoned Fossil Gila has now taken over as my favorite disc. It's a "no brainer" rip it flat disc that responds so well to power and finesse.