• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reach back era is over, long live the whip.

Alq70Di.jpg

Well FWIW this really helped me...

Came out of here or the other one.. Post #42
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132180

is there any pics of paul like this or he does it the same way?

Words in documents have fallen on hard times in much of our current American culture but here is a link to the old article on Discgolfreview-- "Distance Secrets by Dave Dunipace". This was an early version of what he describes in the video.

A few years back, I compiled, rearranged, and edited this article for Dave based on a free flowing discussion on the old PDGA Message boards. If you like words maybe this will help you, but video and pictures are also great to see what it actually looks like.

...the old article on Discgolfreview-- "Distance Secrets by Dave Dunipace". This was an early version of what he describes in the video...
Full DISClosure-- even after spending untold hours discussing, dissecting, analyzing, and field work trying to apply the ideas in this article I don't think I ever really figured it out. I made a few changes, but it never drastically improved my distance. That is probably mostly due to user error- age, lack of athletic talent, noodle-armness... I hope you have more success

Put a ball in your hand. Rotate your forearm so that the palm is facing out, thumb down. Throw the ball using your backhand disc motion. Try whipping it from the pocket (back of hand at the chest). Try again to throw from reach back with shoulder rotated away from the target, through the pocket.

Put a ball in your hand. Rotate your forearm so that the palm is facing out, thumb down. Throw the ball using your backhand disc motion. Try whipping it from the pocket (back of hand at the chest). Try again to throw from reach back with shoulder rotated away from the target, through the pocket.

That motion of throwing a ball has 100% transformed how I look at the backhand throw. Excellent advice for anyone trying to get the feel of what the lats to the triceps do in the throw, and really for the whole body.

is there a video of someone doing this?

Ah, nice. Ya this is a good drill. Played around with it and can definitely see how it demonstrates some fundamental concepts.

is there a video of someone doing this?

I second this request.

No. I was just thinking out loud and messing with the dog's ball in my hand. It is kinda like a lightweight hammer exercise. It's certainly not official DG form advice... only my random thought. The wrist doesn't whip the same, but I can throw much further with a full reach back.

No. I was just thinking out loud and messing with the dog's ball in my hand. It is kinda like a lightweight hammer exercise. It's certainly not official DG form advice... only my random thought. The wrist doesn't whip the same, but I can throw much further with a full reach back.

I agree with this. The length of my back-swing is one of my main variables when I power down for an up-shot.

Inverted version:

It is so interesting how different your videos have looked to me over the past two months. "The move" is so simple, basically instinctual, but can be so opaque before you feel it yourself.

I grew up as a wrestler, and always knew I didn't know how to throw objects well. I really didn't know the extent of that ignorance until I started disc golf though, what a trip.

Latest posts