• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reach back era is over, long live the whip.

Ah, nice. Ya this is a good drill. Played around with it and can definitely see how it demonstrates some fundamental concepts.

Also demonstrates why learning the backhand is so insanely difficult. I mean...who has ever thrown a ball like this before they decided to pick up this crazy sport ?

So, one of my hobbies is making and throwing tomahawks. The throw has to be balanced with no flick of wrist- it just comes out natural with a rather stiff wrist. And, it's all arm technique for the most part.

The throw has to be balanced with no flick of wrist- it just comes out natural with a rather stiff wrist. And, it's all arm technique for the most part.
:rolleyes:
attachment.php

Attachments

• rodeo wrist tomahawk.jpg
    rodeo wrist tomahawk.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 142
Have you ever done any tomahawk and knife throwing?

Let me explain what just happened here. You are about to explain something you have experience with, that someone else observed differently from a video... while you have an entire thread of people with experience explaining to you, what you observed differently from video.
:popcorn:

Have you ever done any tomahawk and knife throwing?
Just because your wrist is "stiff", doesn't mean it's not being used. The wrist is like a spring, you load against the lag/inertia and spring it out much like a basketball or baseball or disc. The heavier the load, the stiffer the wrist must be to be used as a spring.

Is there a chance that Rodeo is just the greatest troll of all time? Because every thread devolves into the entire forum arguing with him lol. Which basically makes him the greatest troll of all time, even if it's not by design

Is there a chance that Rodeo is just the greatest troll of all time? Because every thread devolves into the entire forum arguing with him lol. Which basically makes him the greatest troll of all time, even if it's not by design

Looks like he earned himself a custom member level badge, so he has that going for him, which is nice.

I'm just saying that if you have ever spent any real time throwing knives and tomahawks you would know that you have to kind of finesse it out of your hand- kind of just let go of it and let it spin on its own. Everyone who first tries will try to abruptly stop their hand and yank their wrist to put crazy spin on it. With discs there is more of a mentality to rip it out of your hand and put spin on it- create a strong pivot and whip it so to speak. With knives and tomahawks you almost try to do the opposite and try not to put any spin or whip on them. They are really nothing alike.

I'm just saying that if you have ever spent any real time throwing knives and tomahawks you would know that you have to kind of finesse it out of your hand- kind of just let go of it and let it spin on its own. Everyone who first tries will try to abruptly stop their hand and yank their wrist to put crazy spin on it. With discs there is more of a mentality to rip it out of your hand and put spin on it- create a strong pivot and whip it so to speak. With knives and tomahawks you almost try to do the opposite and try not to put any spin or whip on them. They are really nothing alike.

The back-hand video posted by SW is quite close to a disc swing. The intention is not to spin the axe, or the disc. The intention is to throw the mass at the back of the disc, or the head of the axe, targetward.

At least, this is how I visualize things currently. Throwing the back of the disc toward the intended apex of a flight has made aiming a lot more consistent for me.

Better than oldmandiscer or Casey_1988? We can argue.

The back-hand video posted by SW is quite close to a disc swing. The intention is not to spin the axe, or the disc. The intention is to throw the mass at the back of the disc, or the head of the axe, targetward.

At least, this is how I visualize things currently. Throwing the back of the disc toward the intended apex of a flight has made aiming a lot more consistent for me.

I've thrown a lot of axes over the decades- overhand, sidearm, etc, and there really isn't a part of it that's the same. Throwing a tomahawk is even so much different than SW hammer drill. I can't really explain it much but they feel nothing alike. I've been making and throwing tomahawks off and on for 35 years and they don't really translate one to the other, just a completely different feeling from one to the other. I made a bunch of tomahawks for a large youth group last year and put on a skill competition and very few of even the best athletes could throw them correctly. It's unlike anything you have ever done before and when done right feels different than how it looks.

He's hyper enthusiastic. Not troll per se.

How do you keep your wrist, and arm relaxed and still get the disc anywhere rhbh?

double_pendulum.gif

Just like with this pendulum. Notice how much the red dot is moving around and at what speed compared to the blue dot. When your arm is relaxed it will work in this way too, the blue dot being your elbow and the red dot your wrist/hand (simplification).

If you just focus on guiding your elbow to your most powerful position, which is commonly described as the power pocket, and just let your body swing through by all the collected momentum from the brace, then your arm will snap like a whip.

Latest posts