• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reach back era is over, long live the whip.

Learning and tweaking the technique should not start at greater than 80% effort, and doing 250 repetitions in one session/day into a blanket doesn't ring as a very disciplined attempt to fix technique. Just two of your swings has prompted a bunch of discussion on what needs to be fixed. What do you think the other 248 did for you?

I wish I could go out and throw for distance and measure to see if my hard work is paying off. Will have to wait til spring as its just too cold here now.

I throw a lot in the garage but not just haphazardly. I usually break it down into several sessions with different discs and try to analyze how each shot felt- what did feel good and what I think needs improvement. I'm also able to see how the disc hits the sleeping bag that's hanging and adjust for angle and work on control. Very few of the shots are flat out give it absolutely everything I've got type of shots. Just from the sound and impact of the discs hitting the bag I can tell my velocity has improved quite a bit already since I first started. I've logged in about 1,300 throws now.

I wish I could go out and throw for distance and measure to see if my hard work is paying off. Will have to wait til spring as its just too cold here now.

I throw a lot in the garage but not just haphazardly. I usually break it down into several sessions with different discs and try to analyze how each shot felt- what did feel good and what I think needs improvement. I'm also able to see how the disc hits the sleeping bag that's hanging and adjust for angle and work on control. Very few of the shots are flat out give it absolutely everything I've got type of shots. Just from the sound and impact of the discs hitting the bag I can tell my velocity has improved quite a bit already since I first started. I've logged in about 1,300 throws now.

do you have anything to measure the speed of your throws

do you have anything to measure the speed of your throws

Not yet. Planning on getting a radar gun. It was sort of decent today in the mid twenties with light snow flurries and threw some at my lunch time before the snow was sticking. Was getting the discs out to about 350 feet with my winter coat on so I was pretty happy with that. The cold dense air sure does cause the discs to turn over pretty fast though which kind of sucked.

Not yet. Planning on getting a radar gun. It was sort of decent today in the mid twenties with light snow flurries and threw some at my lunch time before the snow was sticking. Was getting the discs out to about 350 feet with my winter coat on so I was pretty happy with that. The cold dense air sure does cause the discs to turn over pretty fast though which kind of sucked.

Do you know of any good ways of increasing arm speed?

Why us he saying Seppo has no reachback?

Compared to a lot of pros Seppos reachback is a bit limited. He doesn't straighten his arm as much at the elbow. At normal speed you can barely see it increase beyond 90 degrees. In slow motion you can see that it does. The illusion that he is holding on to a pole or a door frame behind him isn't the same as in the form of many others. That's basically it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA2HzT1lGDc

This means your release isn't clean. The discs are fighting through denser air - and so any wobble on release is going to be exaggerated. Focus on making sure that the disc is as on-axis with your angle of attack as possible, as well as on the cleanliness of the release itself. When the air warms up the disc will cut through the lighter air that much easier.

This means your release isn't clean. The discs are fighting through denser air - and so any wobble on release is going to be exaggerated. Focus on making sure that the disc is as on-axis with your angle of attack as possible, as well as on the cleanliness of the release itself. When the air warms up the disc will cut through the lighter air that much easier.

They were pretty clean.

They were pretty clean.
Not if you're having significant issues with them flipping over more than they do in warmer air. Your description of what happened is all the evidence needed. If your release is clean enough for them to maintain the usual distribution of air under the flight plate, the only issue is going to be with them penetrating as far/losing speed in the air.

In my experience discs stable up due to the plastic being stiffer. Also harder to throw as far/get discs to flip with more clothing.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Not if you're having significant issues with them flipping over more than they do in warmer air. Your description of what happened is all the evidence needed. If your release is clean enough for them to maintain the usual distribution of air under the flight plate, the only issue is going to be with them penetrating as far/losing speed in the air.

I'm guessing you missed this episode: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137219

Cold air is significantly denser and as such the discs will act more understable right off at release going through the denser air during the high speed turn part. They also will all have noticeably more fade at the end as the discs slow down significantly cutting through the dense air. So, you get some really bizzar shots in the cold. Very unpredictable from day to day in the cold.

Cold air is significantly denser and as such the discs will act more understable right off at release going through the denser air during the high speed turn part. They also will all have noticeably more fade at the end as the discs slow down significantly cutting through the dense air. So, you get some really bizzar shots in the cold. Very unpredictable from day to day in the cold.
Yes, I already addressed the impact of the denser air. The denser air causes the turn FOR A REASON fella. Because any excessive wobble will cause an even more exaggerated impact throwing off the distribution of the air under the flight plate. If your release is clean enough - you can significantly minimize the high speed turning effect in the cold dense air.

Yes, I already addressed the impact of the denser air. The denser air causes the turn FOR A REASON fella. Because any excessive wobble will cause an even more exaggerated impact throwing off the distribution of the air under the flight plate. If your release is clean enough - you can significantly minimize the high speed turning effect in the cold dense air.
This post has a mistake. I definitely wasn't totally awake. I mean that the disc itself is going to struggle to find its proper axis in the denser air, not so much that there was a problem with the distribution of the air under the flight plate would be a problem. It WOULD but primarily because the disc is struggling to get on axis. The air under the flight plate wouldn't be causing the disc to struggle to find its proper axis, the disc struggling to find its axis in the dense air would be keeping the air from being distributed properly.

This post has a mistake. I definitely wasn't totally awake. I mean that the disc itself is going to struggle to find its proper axis in the denser air, not so much that there was a problem with the distribution of the air under the flight plate would be a problem. It WOULD but primarily because the disc is struggling to get on axis. The air under the flight plate wouldn't be causing the disc to struggle to find its proper axis, the disc struggling to find its axis in the dense air would be keeping the air from being distributed properly.

Haven't really studied what affects the flight of disc, there's couple good studies in finnish made of it tho, have to read those someday. What comes to physics, I thought reynolds number has big effect on how much the disc turns. Cold air having higher kinematic viscosity makes reynolds number smaller making the flight "less" turbulent.

Re = Disc speed relative to air * characteristic lenght of disc / kinematic viscosity

Speed and lenght of disc staying standard only the air temperature makes a difference.

Personally for me the biggest difference comes from not getting good grip of discs in cold weather making the release more wobbly I think. In exchange the ejection speed is probably bit slower due to all the clothing so can't really decide are my discs acting less or more stable in cold weather. :D

Threw some today in 0 degrees celsius and on video the release looks imo more wobbly compared to warm weather, but the flight wasn't really any different. Excuse my ****ty form: